JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<2324252627>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#481 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:58:22 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
No I haven’t. I thought I’d just buy it when it came out. Smile

This info is from Cigarettes & Red Vines:

‘The Master' Being Re-Released In Select U.S. Theatres This Friday

Gearing up for the Academy Awards & Blu-ray release next month, "The Master" is being re-released this Friday (1/25) into a handful of theatres around the country. This may be your last chance for quite some time to see the film again on the big screen so we highly encourage you to grab a few friends and see it one last time. We have a partial list of the theatres below and will update with more as they roll in.

Los Angeles (Arclight Hollywood) in 70MM
Chicago (Landmark Century City Centre)
Philadelphia (Ritz At The Bourse)
San Francisco (Opera Plaza Cinema)
Washington D.C. (E Street Cinema)
New York (Village East)

The film will also be playing at the very swank Crosby Street Hotel screening room in NYC on 2/10 as part of their Sunday Night Film Club. Dinner and movie for $55 per person OR cocktail, bar plate and movie for $35 per person.

Offline sami  
#482 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:43:08 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thanks Joy!

I just read this article and it might be related to the movie a bit.. It seems like the Scientology church is under the radar lately . There's been a book actually telling how members are tortured and now this ...

Scientology Lawsuit Alleges Fraud, Deception, Mishandling Of Hundreds Of Thousands Of Dollars

http://www.huffingtonpos...s-dollars_n_2537420.html

A California couple has filed a lawsuit against the Church of Scientology alleging fraud, deception and the mishandling of hundreds of thousands -- possibly millions -- of dollars in donations secured by the controversial organization.

Luis and Rocio Garcia of Irvine, Calif., filed the 35-page complaint on Wednesday in a Tampa, Fla., federal court. The couple named five church entities in the suit, which seeks compensatory and punitive damages.

The Garcias allege that, over the years, the church redirected hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations the couple had earmarked specifically for the construction of a massive "Super Power" building in downtown Clearwater, Fla. The building is still under construction, though the church broke ground on the project 14 years ago, reports the Tampa Bay Times.

West Palm Beach attorney Theodore Babbitt, the lawyer for the Garcias, said that his clients "seek to highlight the secular commercial nature of the fraudulent activities and inappropriate business dealings which give rise to this complaint," according to the Tampa Tribune.

Babbitt said that when the couple asked the church for their money back, they were excommunicated.

Tony Ortega, former Village Voice editor and blogger for The Huffington Post, notes that while the church may have tax-exempt status (granted by the IRS in 1993), the organization is still required to give refunds to members who ask for them.

The lawsuit brought by Luis and Rocio Garcia suggests that the church is not abiding by its obligation to refund members.

The lawsuit also claim that the church has been using the Super Power building as a cash cow. "It's a money-making machine for the church," Luis Garcia told The Tribune.

The Village Voice got its hands on renderings of the "Super Power" building earlier in January and described the purpose for its construction thus:

Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard devised the "Super Power Rundown" in 1978. He envisioned it as a series of counseling routines, some of which would be used to enhance the human senses with the use of elaborate and futuristic platforms and machines.
The Tampa lawsuit alleges that David Miscavige, the mysterious leader of Scientology, lies about where the church's money is going, refuses to give out refunds and may also be profiting through the organization's massive fundraising arm, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

The OC Weekly reported in 2011 that Luis and Rocio Garcia gave more than $1 million to Scientology between 1982 and 2010, when the couple left the church.

Church of Scientology Flag Service Organiztion spokesperson Pat Harney told Clearwater Patch that the church had no comment on the lawsuit. "However, we understand from media inquiries this has something to do with fundraising and we can unequivocally state all funds solicited are used for the charitable and religious purposes for which they were donated," Harney said in an email statement.

Babbitt and his co-counsel, Ronald P. Weil of Miami, said the Garcia complaint is just the first in what they anticipate will be a long line of similar lawsuits, according to The Tribune.

The lawsuit and ensuing press conference certainly come at an inopportune time for the Church of Scientology, still reeling from the fallout over Lawrence Wright's tell-all book, "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, & the Prison of Belief," praised last weekend in the New York Times Sunday Book Review.
Offline sami  
#483 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:20:52 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

So if Scientology has any influence in Hollywood these events may have an effect in the Oscars results .. I just have no idea which is the power group calling the shots there. But Sicentologists have a lot of money . We will see...
Offline admin  
#484 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 4:20:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#485 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 7:13:13 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Thanks for the link & info, Admin.

Paul Thomas Anderson, in the interview wrote:
I can't thank you all enough for your support and attention to the details of what we do. It's a thrill to make films and share them and having people care for them once they're out in the world is a perk I'd never imagined.

I can only speak for myself but being a Joaquin fan was what brought The Master to my attention and the reason I was looking forward to seeing it. I never imagined what a thrill the whole experience would be for me and what a wondeful film it is.
Offline admin  
#486 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:14:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Harvey Weinstein Admits He Mis-Marketed The Master

"I think the audience had trouble with the movie and needed to be guided and eased into it,” Weinstein said. “I was so enamored with the film that I didn’t think the audience would have that trouble. Other people around me did say the audience would have trouble, but I personally loved the movie and Paul. Maybe I would have done him more of a favor being a devil’s advocate instead of a cheerleader. I seem to do better when I’m playing devil’s advocate. I do think the film will stand up and have a long life down the line.”

Offline sami  
#487 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:32:13 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thank u for these inspiring quotes and comments guys. It's just beautiful to see how we all move each other , without wanting to. PTA seems a very nice person.
Offline sami  
#488 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:46:34 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:

"I think the audience had trouble with the movie and needed to be guided and eased into it,” Weinstein said. “I was so enamored with the film that I didn’t think the audience would have that trouble. Other people around me did say the audience would have trouble, but I personally loved the movie and Paul. Maybe I would have done him more of a favor being a devil’s advocate instead of a cheerleader. I seem to do better when I’m playing devil’s advocate. I do think the film will stand up and have a long life down the line.”

That's nice of Weinstein to say. I was wondering how should he have marketed it , as a psychological drama ?
Offline sami  
#489 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:05:44 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I also wanted to tell u that the other day just for curiosity I started back reading this thread . I can't believe we wrote so much ! first Admin and I and then Joy too.. it was a thrill and a lot of fun to follow the master with you. I Will avoid saying anything cheese , just .. You rock Smile

Now, the end of the journey is close , DVD, Oscars .. We still have stuff to look forward to and to talk about !

For example :

Who is Joaquin gonna take at the oscars with him? Laugh

a- a family member
b- his girlfriend Heather
c- other

Is it too easy ?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:18:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kitten  
#490 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:18:56 AM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
sami wrote:
I also wanted to tell u that the other day just for curiosity I started back reading this thread . I can't believe we wrote so much ! first Admin and I and then Joy too.. it was a thrill and a lot of fun to follow the master with you. I Will avoid saying anything cheese , just .. You rock Smile

Now, the end of the journey is close , DVD, Oscars .. We still have stuff to look forward to and to talk about !

For example :

a- a family member
b- his girlfriend Heather
c- other

Is it too easy ?

I would hope he would bring his girlfriend, they look so cute together, I thought it was strange when he took his mom to the golden globles, but I know he will bring his mother, for sure, we will see I will not watch the oscars, I know Daniel Day will win and that sucks when I think Joaquin should winCool for real not oscars for me, if Joaquin would win I would but how knowsBlushing
Offline admin  
#491 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:15:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:

Yes Sami, it's been great following the development of The Master since it was first announced... thanks for taking time to take part and contributing so much! Cool And all others who did too of course! Doesn't time go quick!

sami wrote:

I think Joaquin will go to The Oscars with Daniel Day-Lewis as his official companion... i can see it now, hand-in-hand on the red carpet, looking lovingly at each other BigGrin

Edited by user Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:56:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#492 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:14:33 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

LOL Admin, every time u make a DDL and Joaq comment, just so u know, I'm very visual, I don't like seeing them "like that" !, I'm straight u know LOL
I agree with Kitten he will take his mum !!

kitten wrote:

I would hope he would bring his girlfriend, they look so cute together]

I agree Kitten !

They're both so wild .. A good match me thinks !

Edited by user Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:26:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#493 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:18:45 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:

Yes Sami, it's been great following the development of The Master since it was first announced... thanks for taking time to take part and contributing so much! Cool And all others who did too of course! Doesn't time go quick!

Thank u Admin <3

Offline kitten  
#494 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:19:59 PM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

sami wrote:
LOL Admin, every time u make a DDL and Joaq comment, just so u know, I'm very visual, I don't like seeing them "like that" !, I'm straight u know LOL
I agree with Kitten he will take his mum !!

kitten wrote:

I would hope he would bring his girlfriend, they look so cute together]

I agree Kitten !

They're both so wild .. A good match me thinks !

thanks for I agree with Kitten, I think I know Joaquin funny don't know him in person but feel like I know him, crazyLove but he will bring his mom and I am not watching the oscars I know what will happen and it sucks that daniel day will win his third oscar I want Joaquin to win, but if not let another actor have a fair chance oh gush, Let someone else winAngry
Offline admin  
#495 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:23:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Joaquin recieves praise from Al Pacino for his performance in The Master:

“I thought this kid Phoenix did a beautiful job there,” said Pacino. “He did it within his frame because he has a lot of experience doing it. I’d love to see him do theatre.”

Scene and Heard: Stand Up Guys’ Al Pacino picks Oscar favourites
Offline kitten  
#496 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:17:35 PM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

admin wrote:

“I thought this kid Phoenix did a beautiful job there,” said Pacino. “He did it within his frame because he has a lot of experience doing it. I’d love to see him do theatre.”

Thank you Al Pacino for the nice words about our honey swettie Joaquin, hugs oxoxoLove
Offline sami  
#497 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:00:12 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:

That right there is worth a golden globe at least coming from Al Pacino !! I like how he calls him "kid" that's sweet :-)
Offline joy  
#498 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:13:10 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
admin wrote:

That's nice of Weinstein to say. I was wondering how should he have marketed it , as a psychological drama ?

Harvey Weistein says more in this extract....

Mr. Weinstein also took responsibility for the poor box office showing of Paul Thomas Anderson’s film “The Master.”

“I probably could have marketed it better,” Mr. Weinstein said. “I probably should have prepared the audience. We opened up to the highest per-screen average ever, but I think the audience had trouble with the movie and needed to be guided and eased into it. I was so enamored with the film that I didn’t think the audience would have that trouble.”

On the awards circuit, Mr. Weinstein has repeatedly compared “The Master” to a postwar movie, saying it helped him understand what his father went through returning home after WWII. But most audiences viewed it as a character study in the founding of a Scientology-like religion.

“Maybe if I’d explained the movie in those terms, that it was more of a spiritual quest for a veteran who had seen action and got lost, people might have responded differently,” he said. “I’d told Paul that was my attraction.”

But Mr. Anderson cut the promos for the movie himself, as he told The Village Voice, and screened it without approval from the Weinstein Company.

“Maybe I would have done him more of a favor being a devil’s advocate instead of a cheerleader,” Mr. Weinstein told Deadline. “I seem to do better when I’m playing devil’s advocate.”

http://carpetbagger.blog...12-NA&WT.mc_ev=click
Offline joy  
#499 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:38:55 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I think Joaquin will take his mom or girlfriend or someone else. Laugh

Al Pacino knows a good thing when he sees it! Cool
Offline sami  
#500 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2013 6:48:53 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
I think Joaquin will take his mom or girlfriend or someone else. Laugh

LOL Haha Joy, You can't go wrong this way LOL