JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline deanna_demola  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:21:15 AM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Groups: Registered
Woman

Lately I have been thinking, probably overly thinking about two things I have much desire for, acting lessons and guitar lessons. I can only choose one due to my busy schedule, and both really intrigue me. I have no idea which one to go for. It's so frustrating because both seem to provide great things for me but I don't know which one is better. I mean acting lessons seem to be such an amazing experience and maybe with time, I could auditon for something and travel, etc. On the other hand, guitar is such a lovely intrument and with time, hopefully I will be able to play very well and whenever I want, I can play just for myself and relax. I just don't know which one will be better! That's why I have turned to all of my fellow JP lovers. I thought maybe you guys could give me some advice and opinions on what I should go for. Thanks Blushing
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:32:53 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Deanna,

The guitar is a great instrument to learn on your own, it requires perseverance but is very rewarding and you'll never stop learning! (You don't need to be able to read music either!)

There's a lot of great musicians and teachers on the internet that give their time, free of charge, to teach people all different aspects of playing the guitar as well as teaching well known songs/riffs.

The best teacher on YouTube, in my opinion, is Marty Schwartz! He covers all levels of experience, from beginner to experienced. All free of charge! Cool

Marty Schwartz YouTube Channel

Here's one of his latest lessons to give you an idea...

and to keep things topical, here's Marty teaching Johnny Cash's "Walk the line" BigGrin

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Maybe Joaquin will pop by and give you some good reasons to become an actor! or reasons not to! Laugh
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline deanna_demola  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:05:21 AM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Woman

Wow, thanks so much! I never really thought too much about learning at home because maybe it would be too difficult. Maybe I'll do that, it would be a nice way to relax, teaching myself the guitar. It really is a lovely instrument! And oh my goodness, if Joaquin would do that, wow that would mean so much to me! It would help a lot coming from an actor as well. But thank you very much for this, I can't wait to decide and start! Hopefully it will be a great experience! Laugh
Offline sami  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:44:18 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups: Guests

Deanna,
I play guitar too and I'm self taught as well. My aunt taught me the first 2 chords E Major and A minor bec. they r next to each other and from there I built. I was in a sort of AMC group where we would sing songs around the fire and I learned from my friends and played together. You learn a lot from joining a folk singing group for example watching how ppl play and they r nice enough to let you join them.

This being said. If I had to choose I would choose acting lessons. Why? Be ause it will teach you many things about human beings and they way we Interact with each other, This can help u later find a job, find love, and many other things that require interacting with others... You will also explore who you are iin a safe environment, I would recommend acting lessons And play guitar on your own.. In any case u can only play guitar a little bit because your finger will hurt at the beginning... Don't get an acoustic guitar, get a Spanish guitar, the strings r softer .. Cool
Offline deanna_demola  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:32:00 AM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Woman

Aw thanks so much Sami! I think I will be doing acting lessons and hopefully will learn to play guitar on my own. I agree, acting lessons seem to be a very good experience and will most likely help me more than anything. I'm excited and nervous for reasons I don't know but hopefully this will happen soon! I can't wait to start this journey and hopefully update you guys if anything great comes along the way! Thanks so much for this, I needed these reassuring thoughts. Lots of hugs! Smile
Offline sami  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:21:35 AM(UTC)
sami

Deanna

I'm so glad I can help ! [Smile] I have never taken acting lessons but I know ppl who did and they seemed to have so much fun ! I 've been thinking about it and i might take acting lessons myself now even though I'm in my 30ies.. Just for fun !Cool it's never too late, right ?
Please let us know how it goes ! Another good advice an old friend told me: make sure you find a good place, don't just settle for the first one if its not what you're looking for. U might have to try several places and then compare and choose the one you're looking for ! Just like dating LOL hehe
Offline deanna_demola  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:27:58 AM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Woman

Sami,

Thanks for the advice! I've been researching several acting schools in my area and haven't really settled on any yet and I'm still looking! And it's never too late! Do what makes you happy no matter what age. You never know what will happen! It would probably be a fantastic experience! And I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes! BigGrin Thanks so much, helped a lot!
Offline joy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:48:00 AM(UTC)
joy

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi Deanna,

I was going to tell you how much pleasure I get out of playing a musical instrument and learning how to read music, but I see you've made up your mind to go for acting. Can I have your autograph in advance? BigGrin I was thinking if you did make it big I could sell it and retire! Laugh Seriously, hope all goes well for you. Break a leg! ThumpUp
Offline deanna_demola  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:49:58 AM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Woman

Hi Joy!

I will hopefully find a way to teach myself to play guitar and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed playing a musical intrument. I know how to read music so that's a start! But yes, I think I am going for acting. BigGrin It seems to provide a lot of great experience for me. Of course I would be happy to give you an autograph! Laugh Hopefully one day I will make it to the big leagues and of course I wouldn't forget my fellow JP lovers so I would have to give you guys something! Laugh Thanks so much and hopefully all goes well! I'm quite excited! And to be honest, Joaquin was the one who inspired this. I can only dream to meet him and maybe if this works out, act with him. I'll keep you guys updated on how everything is going! Laugh
Offline joy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:20:11 AM(UTC)
joy

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
deanna wrote:
Of course I would be happy to give you an autograph! Laugh

UserPostedImage

BigGrin
Offline sami  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:47:59 PM(UTC)
sami

deanna_demola wrote:
Hi Joy!

I will hopefully find a way to teach myself to play guitar and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed playing a musical intrument. I know how to read music so that's a start! But yes, I think I am going for acting. BigGrin It seems to provide a lot of great experience for me. Of course I would be happy to give you an autograph! Laugh Hopefully one day I will make it to the big leagues and of course I wouldn't forget my fellow JP lovers so I would have to give you guys something! Laugh Thanks so much and hopefully all goes well! I'm quite excited! And to be honest, Joaquin was the one who inspired this. I can only dream to meet him and maybe if this works out, act with him. I'll keep you guys updated on how everything is going! Laugh

Hi Deanna,

I dont understand whether you are joking, but do you want to pursue acting as a professional career? If so, please talk to more people about it, specially young actors or even go to acting schools ( college level) and talk to the teachers whatever it takes, it's a big decision. In any case, u seem very decided and I'm happy for you, just get more info please, I'm just somebody on the Internet ! Well, get your info please , it will save you a lot of time. And ppl like to give advice , even professionals like to talk to newbies and do the big brother/ sister thing, , so don't be shy ! I hope tall goes well for you . I wish you the best ThumpUp

Edited by user Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:20:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline deanna_demola  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:22:19 PM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Woman

Sami,

Eventually, I wish to pursue a career in acting, if all goes well in the acting school. I know it would be a huge step and of course I would talk to professionals about this and I know it won't all happen right away. It takes time and I understand that and that's fine because what matters right now is learning new skills in this path. I've talked to people about this already so don't worry, I'm not relying on what you have said. I've been thinking about it for awhile! I'll be taking beginner classes which is just basic steps to express yourself and what not and as I get better, I will move up in each class. So an acting career is quite far in my opinion. Once my skills are good enough, eventually, I will audition for something! Thanks for your concern though! BigGrin
Offline sami  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 11:07:02 AM(UTC)
sami

Hi Deanna,

Thanks for letting me know. Of course i knew you wouldn't just jump into it but I wanted to make sure ! Sometimes it works to just do things and others not. Are you gonna do this next year or are you starting now?
Offline deanna_demola  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 1:47:01 PM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Woman

I would like to start very soon but we'll see what happens! I think I settled on an acting school just have to sign up! BigGrin
Offline sami  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 2:06:38 PM(UTC)
sami

Niiice ThumpUp

That's exciting BigGrin