JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline admin  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:13:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Saw a great movie last night... 

Highly recommended if you like films that are unusual! From the same director as "Sexy Beast" 

... and Joaquin's co-star from Her, Scarlett Johansson is the star too!

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline joy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:18:39 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
This is on my list of films I want to see. 

Offline admin  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:41:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joy wrote:
This is on my list of films I want to see.

From the reception it's getting Joy, it seems to be a love it or hate it type film.  I liked it!  Have you read the book?
Offline joy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:18:41 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hi admin,

No, I haven't read the book. I've read one review of the film though and it got 4 stars out of 5. Funnily enough, the review mentioned the book and how it explains the reason why she is killing the men - the film doesn't elaborate on this apparently. The review also mentioned that the men she is picking up are real men ie: not actors, and that's why their reactions are so realistic: they genuinely thought their luck was in! Poor sods! Haha. 

I saw an advert for the film and liked the artwork, so this is the actual reason I want to go and see it. 

Is it a scary film? Did you jump out of your skin at any point? 

Offline admin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:28:25 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I wouldn't say the film was scary... more disturbing. There was one point when the audience 'jumped', but i can't even remember why.

It's an "arty" film... with drawn out shots of scenes, lots incidental. The "average" film go-er would just be bored i'm sure.

There is nudity also, male and female 

I think it is a Kubrick style film. 

Because it's set in Scotland, there are a lot of strong accents which you have to struggle to decipher!

Yes, some of the scenes in the film were simply with Scarlett's character interacting with the general public who weren't aware at the time they were being filmed  It's strange seeing her wander around a Glasgow council estate 

Hope i haven't given anything away!

I would say that there is no real benefit to seeing it at the cinema on a big screen, so if you want to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray then that should be just as good.

Edited by user Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:34:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 1:56:42 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Well, I don't mind art-house films and I've seen enough films with long drawn-out shots of nothing in particular, haha. I like 'mood' films.  Oh, and all the better with nudity! 

I always struggle with the Glaswegian accent until my ears have tuned in, so that should be interesting. I spent 2 weeks in Crete with some Port Glaswegians once - they referred to us as 'the English' - and I didn't understand hardly a word they said for the first week. Most of the conversations went - Them: grdfgsb gfhjdiisool gdhhaodcmmksj. Me: I'm sorry, could you repeat that?  They invited us to their apartment for drinks on the first night and nearly got us all thrown off the island. The caretaker called the police! I know this makes me sound like a complete chav but I was an innocent bystander, so to speak. Honest! Anyway, that episode didn't put me off the Scottish - I've spent a lot of time since then in Edinburgh. Fabulous city and people. 

Hoping to go to the cinema later this week. 

Btw, SJ has been in the news this week. First, she's pregnant and second she's been talking about her decision to stay with Sodastream. Have you seen it? 

Offline admin  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:16:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joy wrote:
Hoping to go to the cinema later this week.

Let us know what you think of it!  It's only on limited release in the U.K., so hope you've got a local cinema showing it?

joy wrote:
Btw, SJ has been in the news this week. First, she's pregnant and second she's been talking about her decision to stay with Sodastream. Have you seen it?

Makes me sick to see celebrities marketing products to the masses... seriously, do they need the money!  They are basically pimping themselves! What's the motivation!? Bill says it best... 

Offline admin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:52:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Offline joy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:54:37 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I was too stressed with the forum yesterday to respond to this..

admin wrote:
Let us know what you think of it!  It's only on limited release in the U.K., so hope you've got a local cinema showing it?

I have indeed. 

admin wrote:
Makes me sick to see celebrities marketing products to the masses... seriously, do they need the money!  They are basically pimping themselves! What's the motivation!? Bill says it best...  

Yes, that's very perceptive of Bill Hicks. I posted an article about SJ's involvement with Sodastream in the Her topic (I think it was that one). It appeared before all the furore about Israel/Palestine/Oxfam, etc and she mentions how ecologically sound and environmentally friendly (buzzwords!) the product is: maybe that was a hook for her? Or maybe the money was a factor too. I mean, to us mere mortals, the kind of money people in SJ's position earn from films is more than enough, but maybe it isn't for their life-styles and the life-styles they want to attain/maintain....? I can't help wondering if SJ's been coached to say the things she's saying - it all sounds quite corporate - but if what she says are her own reasonings, she's not bothered what people think about her, is she? 

Offline admin  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:02:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Under the Skin (2013) Movie Review - Scarlett Johansson - Horror

Offline admin  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 4:26:48 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Have you managed to see this film yet Joy? 
Offline joy  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:13:05 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

admin wrote:
Have you managed to see this film yet Joy? 

No, admin, I haven't. Tbh I completely forgot all about it.  Just had other things on my mind I guess. I did go to see The Double today though. Have you seen it yet? I really enjoyed it but was disappointed with the ending - mostly because I didn't understand it.  Some really good tunes in the film too. 

I'd heard this song before: in The Double, it works perfectly with the story and visuals.

Oh, here's the trailer for the film:

Edited by user Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:23:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2014 7:22:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joy wrote:
No, admin, I haven't. Tbh I completely forgot all about it.  Just had other things on my mind I guess. I did go to see The Double today though. Have you seen it yet?

Hope you've been having good things on your mind to keep you occupied!? You gotta see Under the Skin! 

No, not seen that film The Double... i'll keep it on my list though as i like films that are a bit unusual! Seems to be all comic hero films these days, same old formula, it's like watching the same movie over and over! 
Offline joy  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2014 7:51:02 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Some of it has been, yes.  

Mia Wasikowska, who plays the female lead in The Double, really reminded me of Kirsten Dunst, back in the day, Whatever happened to her?? 

I saw a trailer for a film called 'Frank' today which looked like it was up my street (though not literally, haha) and maybe yours too (though not literally for you either, haha). 

Here's the trailer..

I'll keep my eyes open for Under the Skin, although it might have passed me by as far as a cinema screening is concerned. 

Offline admin  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 6, 2014 8:08:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joy wrote:
I saw a trailer for a film called 'Frank' today which looked like it was up my street (though not literally, haha) and maybe yours too (though not literally for you either, haha).

Hi Joy,

Yes, i saw the trailer for that a while back!  Did you know it is Michael Fassbender that plays the "frank sidebottom"-esque character!? Weird! And Maggie Gyllenhaal is in it too... double weird!  Will definitely give that movie a look! 
Offline joy  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 3:33:45 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

admin wrote:

Hi Joy,

Yes, i saw the trailer for that a while back!  Did you know it is Michael Fassbender that plays the "frank sidebottom"-esque character!? Weird! And Maggie Gyllenhaal is in it too... double weird!  Will definitely give that movie a look! 

I didn't know it was Michael Fassbinder until it said so in the trailer. Haha. I knew it was Maggie Gyllenhaal though because she wasn't wearing a mask. Haha.