JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:48:20 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Entire Indian tribe threatens to commit mass suicide after Brazil court rules they must leave sacred burial land:

http://www.dailymail.co....-sacred-burial-land.html

The Guarani remind me of the Yawanawa !
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:08:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
It's a strange world we live in Sami! So many different people with so many different convictions in life... and yet sometimes looking around the people are little more than sheep. I'm sure we'll figure out what this life is all about some day. Huh
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:38:14 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
It's a strange world we live in Sami! So many different people with so many different convictions in life... and yet sometimes looking around the people are little more than sheep. I'm sure we'll figure out what this life is all about some day. Huh

Admin,

I am sorry, I didn't mean to upset you Crying I just read this and I thought about the Yawanawa . This tribe reminded me of them. It is striking how far they are willing to go to protect what belongs to them and also how desperate they must be. We/ve seen always big corporations/ govts win.... most people renounced to fight anymore . The Guaranis are heros.
Spreading the link is doing something to help because the more people knows about it the more pressure it puts on the govt.

--

this thing you said about people being sheep. I don't think they are .. they just don't care. BigGrin

Offline joy  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 2:37:18 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi,

Here is the (translated) text of the letter which was sent:

Letter from the Community of Guarani-Kaiowá Pyelito Kue/Mbarakay-Iguatemi-MS for the Government and Justice of Brazil

We (50 men, 50 women and 70 children) from the Guarani-Kaiowá communities originated from tekoha Pyelito kue/Mbrakay, came through this letter present our historical situation and our last decision before the despatch order given by the Federal Court of Navirai-Mato Grosso do Sul, as the Process No. 0000032-87.2012.4.03.6006, on 29 September 2012. We received information that our community will soon be attacked, ravished and evicted from the riverbank by the Federal Court of Navirai-Mato Grosso do Sul.

Thus, it is evident to us that the action of the Federal Court generates and increases the violence against our lives, ignoring our rights to survive at the riverbank of the Hovy river and around our traditional territory Pyelito Kue/Mbarakay. We understand clearly that this decision of the Federal Court of of Navirai – Mato Grosso do Sul is part of the action of genocide and historical extermination of the indigenous peoples, native and autochthonous of Mato Grosso do Sul, ie, the action of the Federal Court is itself violating and exterminating our lives. We want to make clear to the Government and to the Federal Court that we have already lost the hope to survive with dignity and without violence in our old territory, we no longer believe in the Brazilian Justice. To whom should us denounce the violence committed against our lives? To which Justice of Brazil? If the Federal Court itself is generating and fueling violence against us. We have evaluated our current situation and we concluded that we will all die very soon, and we don’t have nor will us have the hope of a decent life here on the riverbank as far from here. We camped here 50 meters from the river Hovy where four deaths occurred, two by suicide and two due to beating and torture of gunmen farms.

We live on the river bank Hovy for over a year and are without any assistance, isolated, surrounded by gunmen and we have resisted until today. We eat food once a day. We went through these thingst to recover our Pyleito old Kue/Mbarakay territory. In fact, we know very well that at the heart of our old territory several of our grandfathers, grandmothers, great-grandparents and great-grandparents are buried, there are the cemeteries of all our ancestors.

Aware of this historical fact, we are about and we want to be dead and buried with our ancestors right here where we are today, so we ask the Government and the Federal Court not to order the eviction/expulsion, but we ask them to decree our collective death and to bury us all here.

We ask them, once and for all, to enact our decimation and total extinction, and also to send several tractors to dig a big hole in order to throw and bury our bodies. This is our request to federal judges. We have awaited the decision of the Federal Court. Declare the collective death of Guarani and Kaiowá Pyelito Kue/Mbarakay community and bury us here. Since we fully decided not to leave here alive nor dead.

We know that we no longer have the chance to survive with dignity here in our old territory, we have already suffered a lot and we are all massacred and dying apace. We know that we will be driven away from the riverbank by the justice, but we won’t get out of the river. As an indigenous and historical people, we merely decided to collectively die here. We have no choice, this is our last decision before the unanimous decision of the Federal Court of Navirai – MS.

Sincerely, Guarani-Kaiowá of Pyelito Kue/Mbarakay

http://nobordersnonation...-if-eviction-is-carried/
Offline sami  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 4:13:16 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thanks for posting the letter Joy, that means a lot to me .
Offline joy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:47:48 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
You're welcome, Sami. Smile
Offline sami  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:06:57 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Anybody interested can send a letter to the Brazilian govt:

http://www.survivalinter...now/writealetter/guarani

Sign this petition http://www.avaaz.org/po/petition/
(+16M, wow)

You can follow updates on twitter under this hashtag: #GenocidioGuaraniKaiowa