JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline justme  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 6:05:47 AM(UTC)
justme

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has read the book Hunting with Barracudas by Chris Snyder? It focuses on the life of Joaquin's first agent, Iris Burton, who was something of a legend in Hollywood (she started the careers of Drew Barrymore, Henry Thomas, Kirsten Dunst, Josh Hartnett, Brittney Murphy Mary-Kate and Ashley, and Joaquin and his family!)

I've read this book and it relates a lot about the Phoenix family, and there are a lot of anecdotes about both River and Joaquin. Iris was really close to the Phoenix family-and there are some pretty surprising things in there. I just bought it out of interest, partly because I've always been fascinated with the behind-the-scenes work in Hollywood and was quite surprised by some of the things they had to say.

Here's a quote from Chris Snyder, describing Joaquin, in Hunting With Barracudas (and I was pretty surprised to read this):

"He was like a big gaping wound that just oozed pain."

Huh?? That's one of the strangest descriptions I've ever read of someone! And he describes Joaquin as stubborn with his "behaviour" and that he always held something back of himself. This, from someone who personally knows Joaquin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging Joaquin or Chris Snyder here. I've just read the book, and found it interesting. There's an anecdote about how he wouldn't leave the hotel room for a Gladiator interview and Iris had to go and talk to him until he agreed to do the interview.I'd suggest you read it....it's ......interesting, to say the least. It's also a good read even if you're not into Joaquin. There's a lot of interesting details about Hollywood.

Though there are some X-rated stuff, for those who are nervous about that type of thing. Just in case.

Anyway, one more time-I'm not judging Joaquin or Chris Snyder, in any way. I'm just curious to see if any of you have read it, and if so, what you think.:)

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline joy  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 6:17:40 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Hi justme,

No, I haven't read this book but I do recall reading something about Joaquin on the set of Gladiator not wanting to do the next scene and being petulant about not wanting to do it, and the director, Ridley Scott, kicking Joaquin out of his chair to get him into the next scene.

I also read an interview once where Iris Burton was recalling the first time she met with the Phoenix family and when they told her they were vegan she thought they meant they were from Las Vegas. For real.  I'm actually laughing for real remembering this anecdote. It's sweet and hilarious at the same time.  

That description of Joaquin....would it have been after what happened with his brother?

Offline admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 9:05:04 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
"Tormented Genius" is the phrase normally used with people who have these characteristics! That, or, "Pain in the ass to work with" 

Although, in all seriousness, Joaquin has plenty of real life experience to draw upon when it comes to playing characters... maybe that's why he is better than most "pampered" Hollywood actors/actresses.
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sook  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 11:14:13 PM(UTC)
sook

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've read the book. I don't remember it so well, but I do remember thinking that Mr Snyder contradicted himself a lot in it.
 What he said about Joaquin were mostly his own inerpretations of his behaviour and what he thought Joaquin felt.
Besides, such "interesting" descriptions certainly are more likely to appeal to a reader. In other words, I wouldn't take what he wrote about Joaquin as gospel.
Offline joy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:16:20 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)

Thanks for your take on the book, Ellie.

admin wrote:
"Pain in the ass to work with"  

Pain in the arse to work with.

Offline justme  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:06:06 AM(UTC)
justme

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hey everyone

Thanks for your replies! Joy, I think the comment partly described what he was like after River, but it seemed to describe other stuff too-the book wasn't quite clear.

Ellie, yeah, it's been a bit of time since I read it, and I thought there were a few contradictions, too. I also wondered how he claimed to remember each and every conversation he had when it had been eight years since he'd seen some of these people. I thought at first he was paraphrasing, but then he said in an interview, that he could recall each of the conversations as if it were yesterday (and now I'm paraphrasing.) Really?? Even ones that happened twenty years ago? Maybe I got it wrong, but that's what it seemed like he was saying to me.

But yeah, I wouldn't take it as gospel. He'd known Joaquin since he was a kid, so I just thought it might be worth reading. But then there was this quote, that made me doubt it a little more. Here's Chris saying something about Joaquin:

"Joaquin had nothing to complain about as far as career management was concerned. He was unwilling to see his poor public relations skills had been the culprit. He thought he could give ridiculous interviews and talk show appearances and have people take him seriously."

Huh? Doesn't sound like Joaquin. And so yeah, I think that's probably more Chris's assumption about Joaquin. Plus, I wouldn't say his interviews are ridiculous. I'd say they're quirky and far more interesting than a lot of interviews I read. So yeah, I think that's probably Chris assuming Joaquin thinks a certain way. He talked about wanting to pour as much love as possible in his direction and hoping he would heal. So, I guess he does care about Joaquin-maybe he just assumed something about him because he's known him so long? Just to be clear, I'm not judging Chris Snyder here in any way. I just reckon maybe that's his opinion.

And Joy, that's pretty funny, about Iris thinking they were from Las Vegas.

Admin, that GIF is a godsend. I should just use it every time I read something crazy on the Internet.:)

Offline calliope  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 11:31:47 AM(UTC)
calliope

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I know this topic is 8 years old, but I just finished reading Hunting with Barracudas and had to comment.
Justme wrote:

"Here's a quote from Chris Snyder, describing Joaquin, in Hunting with Barracudas ( and I was pretty surprised to read this): 'He was like a big gaping wound that just oozed pain."

Yet right before that line, Snyder writes "..yet I watched him time and again pour out his raw emotion up on the screen". So, I believe he was referring to the way Joaquin was as an actor.

Justme wrote:

"I also wondered how he claimed to remember each and every conversation had had when it had been eight years since he'd seen some of these people. I thought at first he was paraphrasing, but then he said in an interview, that he could recall each if the conversations as if it were yesterday.."

I agree it's far fetched to put forth you have that kind of memory. Even one Amazon.com reviewer "Zoe" who claims to have known some of the parties involved says Snyder's timelines are wrong and information on said parties is inaccurate. So, take that as you will.

I don't believe the book puts Joaquin in an unfair negative light. To me it just confirms some of the reports of his behavior throughout the years like not liking interviews and press conferences most of the time and apparent low self esteem regarding his talent.
I felt more sorry for him, because the book describes Snyder's encounters with Joaquin when he was about 20-26 years old which was in the aftermath of River's death.

Overall, I liked the stories, but it's mostly about Snyder and his working relationship with Iris Burton. I wonder though if the Phoenix family along with other actors Kristin Dunst, Josh Holloway were aware they were going to be used as material for this book.