JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:42:25 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Still thinking about Joaquin's artwork, I was thinking about a project he was involved in called 'Another Night Upon Us'.

UserPostedImage

M+B gallery in Los Angeles is currently showing Another Night Upon Us, a photographic exhibition featuring the works of Michael Muller. The exhibit is a collaboration between actor Joaquin Phoenix, writer Marcos Johnson from San Jose (2006 Trinity Sessions at Anno Domini), and photographer Michael Muller. Another Night Upon Us is a photographic interpretation of Johnson's evocative poems as envisioned by Phoenix and carried out by Muller.

Another Night Upon Us, is a work-in-progress glimpse of their collaboration to date. It runs through June 23 — an exhibition consisting of Muller's large-scale photographs interspersed with Johnson's poetry, scrawled in chalk directly onto the gallery's walls.
According to Phoenix:

"Marcos came up to me one night. We talked. He reminded me of a cat I saw in Mexico once. He was kind. He'd also been bruised. He sent me some writing one day. It was emotional. I don't know anything about writing or art in general (read this, and check my collection), but Marcos' words didn't seem like they'd been written. More like they'd been discharged. He simply wrote what he felt. I admired that. I wanted others to read it. There might even be a lost one that finds it comforting. Or a nestled one that finds it irritating. Or it's for a decimated heart. Or a pretentious, rich actor, designer sunglasses and all, that would buy a 20 foot photo of the Black Panthers . . . I don't know. I don't really care. I like it. So . . . I thought about doing a book combining photography and writing using Marcos' words as the inspiration for the photographs. The only person I knew that could internalize Marcos' stories, and then reinterpret them visually, was Michael Muller. I met him before. He took me to get a picture framed in the Valley. He drives like a drunken gorilla on speed. I vomited. He seemed unfazed, merely muttering into his cell phone, "We got a live one." He'd be perfect for Marcos' writing. Initially I'd wanted to "act" the character of Marcos for each poem. I thought the combination of poems, photography and acting would be interesting. Of course, I was wrong. What happened, in turn, was that after introducing Michael to Marcos, and discussing and working on the idea, something much more organic took place. Over the last year, with ANOTHER NIGHT UPON US in mind, Michael has captured some startling, and visceral images. The marriage of their mediums has been amazing to watch. I wish I were capable of doing something that could even come close to their dirty, beautiful, poetically simian expression. Michael keeps shooting. Marcos continues to write. I still like it . . . "

http://www.artslant.com/...22-another-night-upon-us

^ This link also has one of Marcos' poems....scroll down the page.

Exhibition opening night:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline joy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:50:41 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I haven't posted the photos of Joaquin in sexual scenes from this exhibition because I'm not sure how they'll be received, but here's some more info about the project & exhibition:

Sprung from raw words

COVER STORY
June 14, 2007|Chris Lee | Times Staff Writer

ABOUT two years ago, the poems began arriving in Joaquin Phoenix's mailbox, small batches of them, day after day, for weeks -- poetry that was unsolicited, previously unpublished and rawer than steak tartare.
Written by Marcos Johnson, a former TV casting agent with an extreme personality, their jagged stanzas spoke of bruised romanticism and hardscrabble street life -- Bukowski-esque narratives of chemical excess and personal redemption born out of Johnson's white-knuckle experiences as a junkie. The actor found them impossible to put out of mind.

"Marcos' words didn't seem like they'd been written. More like they'd been discharged," Phoenix recalls in a loopy exegesis about the work he put together earlier this month. "I wanted others to read it ... So ... I thought about doing a book combining photography and using Marcos' words as the inspiration for the photographs."
Although a book deal is still to be ironed out, the Oscar nominee's visceral reaction to Johnson's writing has resulted in a multimedia art project for which Phoenix, among others, "acts" the part of "Marcos" in various situations inspired by the poems. These were photographed by their mutual friend, professional lensman Michael Muller, guerrilla-style -- that is to say, on the fly and without the prerequisite movie star trappings like personal assistants, makeup or even location permits. On hiatus in between film roles, Phoenix often worked himself into a state of psychic anguish for art's sake.
"Joaq would go totally into character," said Muller, 36, who met the actor four years ago through another shared friend, actor Balthazar Getty. "There were shoots where he was bawling. He wasn't acting. He'd say, 'Get this.' I'd look up and there'd be tears running down his face."
A work-in-progress glimpse of their collaboration, "Another Night Upon Us," goes up at M+B Gallery today, running through June 23 -- an exhibition consisting of Muller's large-scale photographs interspersed with Johnson's poetry, scrawled in chalk directly onto the gallery's walls.
"Our challenge was, how do you showcase the images without trumping the words?" said Muller. "The words have to work symbiotically with the text."
Robert Frost observed that poetry "is what gets lost in translation." But all parties involved with "Another Night Upon Us" agree the photos are alternately atmospheric and haunting, violent and funny, just like the poems that inspired them.
"It creates something that is more than doubly powerful," Johnson, 42, said.
Although many of Johnson's poems are set in Northern California, where he lives, the images seem to exist in some anonymous American nowheresville with a palpable sense of sleaze and ennui. Which also extends to the photos' bruised, tattooed and bleary-eyed subjects. Tantalizingly, Muller insists that among their deliberately unidentifiable ranks are a Who's Who of actors, models, rock stars and multimillionaires whom he refuses to name but who he promises will be revealed with the release of the book.
At this point, however, Phoenix has distanced himself from the project, serving more as a "producer" than photo subject. "I don't think he wanted to carry the whole load," Muller said. "We're parlaying different people through the role rather than it being just a whole book about Joaquin." (Phoenix declined to be interviewed for this article.)
All three share an apparent morbid fascination with the low life that's rooted in their personal experiences: Phoenix, 32, who lost his brother River to a drug overdose in 1993, went into rehabilitation for alcoholism in 2005. Muller lived the Hollywood as an up-and-coming commercial and fashion photographer in the '90s. And Johnson describes himself as "no angel" -- someone who is still "prone to bouts of impulsiveness."

"We're all, in a sense, reformed bad boys," Muller said. "We've lived very much on the dark side and then come into the light. We bring that with us."

http://articles.latimes..../14/news/wk-coverintro14

More of Michael Muller's work can be viewed on his website

http://www.mullerphoto.com/#/
Offline Marc S.  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 8:01:00 AM(UTC)
Marc S.

Groups: Registered

Here is more info on the latest about the Another Night Upon Us project:

http://slumwords.wordpre...old-the-a-list-to-f-off/
Offline joy  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 8:23:02 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Thanks for the update!
Offline sami  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 1:59:50 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thanks Marc, I hope the book will be published.Smile

Edited by user Monday, January 7, 2013 2:31:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:26:29 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I was a member of a (now defunct) Joaquin fan forum when this exhibition opened at M&B Gallery and the whole show caused quite a stir. Several of the photos and poems were online and we had a few of them on that forum. If I recall correctly, the original intent with the exhibition was to have the poems written up and displayed on the wall beside the photos, but for some reason that didn’t happen and the poems were presented in a brochure/pamphlet instead. One of the members of another Joaquin fan forum at that time (also now defunct) went to the opening of the exhibition and wrote about her experience, including meeting Joaquin. She mentioned that one of the photos was removed from the exhibition at the last minute, although she didn’t know why. In my memory the photo was one of Joaquin in a hazy, close-up, naked clinch with a woman, but I’m not certain.

It was too late at night last night for me to read Marcos’ update on the project but I’ve taken a look this evening - there are some more of his poems (including those which inspired photos in this thread) and some different MM photos with accompanying poems too. Reader, if you haven’t done so yet, why not take a look?
Offline admin  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:55:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
I like this one best:

UserPostedImage

That's exactly how i feel when i go shopping. Especially when i being dragged around the clothes stores by a female friend or relative Flapper

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:46:56 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
If I recall correctly, the original intent with the exhibition was to have the poems written up and displayed on the wall beside the photos, but for some reason that didn’t happen and the poems were presented in a brochure/pamphlet instead.

It seems to me that the poems should have been at the center of the exhibition since the pictures are a representation of the poem. Maybe it happened because it's a collaborative project sometimes they all want to make happy each other and it results in a lack of direction... ?

joy wrote:
It was too late at night last night for me to read Marcos’ update on the project but I’ve taken a look this evening - there are some more of his poems (including those which inspired photos in this thread) and some different MM photos with accompanying poems too. Reader, if you haven’t done so yet, why not take a look?

I have been looking for them and they're gone. I clicked on the pdf link but it was blank.

--

It's an important topic and nobody talks about it. I remember a time of my life in which I was being offered drugs regularly, any type of drugs. I used to hang out a lot with people who did them and even organized parties just to get high.. BUT I never took any because I was afraid. My control freakness saved me, lol. It was a pretty dark period of my life. I drank a lot.
Offline sami  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:50:45 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
I like this one best:

That's exactly how i feel when i go shopping. Especially when i being dragged around the clothes stores by a female friend or relative Flapper

DO you shop Barry Egan style Admin?LOL LOL

http://youtu.be/F541NG897vc

I love that pic too . I think I will print it and frame it for my house. It's a synthesis of American lifestyle . Work work work buy buy buy ! If u are not happy take a pill !

I don't like the tranny sucking a nipple pic because u can tell it's a male taking the pic. Why else would you take a pic of a tranny licking nipples? Aren't they supposed to lick dicks? We never see male nude anywhere only female nudes, GRRR

>rant over<

Edited by user Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:08:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marc S.  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:10:26 AM(UTC)
Marc S.

sami wrote:
joy wrote:
If I recall correctly, the original intent with the exhibition was to have the poems written up and displayed on the wall beside the photos, but for some reason that didn’t happen and the poems were presented in a brochure/pamphlet instead.

It seems to me that the poems should have been at the center of the exhibition since the pictures are a representation of the poem. Maybe it happened because it's a collaborative project sometimes they all want to make happy each other and it results in a lack of direction... ?

Thank you for your perspective. This has been my main bone of contention and why I went ahead and put the project together in its current form. As a writer that the book never came to be is disheartening but I hold no ill will towards Joaquin. He championed the project from its inception. Also, as an artist I understand his prerogative in moving on to other projects. I just felt I owed it to myself to put them out there before I hit the big death bed, and possibly earn a few pennies for my efforts in the process. The prints sold at the M&B show were priced in the 5-15K range. The prints I have put together in the PDF link are available at far more reasonable prices most of my readers can afford. If you are so inclined would be cool if you could post your above comment in the comments section of the Slum-Words article. Feel free to also add link to article to your FB pages if you want. And if anyone wants info on how to acquire a signed/numbered print they can contact me directly at drowningboy@gmail.com. Thanks again, Marcos

Edited by user Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:53:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:59:18 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Thanks for the further info on the project, Marcos. I hope our little corner of the internet brings some good fortune your way. Feel free to join in on any of the other threads if the mood takes you.

admin wrote:
I like this one best:

UserPostedImage

Haha! I feel like that too! I hate shopping for clothes!

sami wrote:
I have been looking for them and they're gone. I clicked on the pdf link but it was blank.

I just checked and they're still there. Maybe the pdf file took a while to download fully?

sami wrote:
I don't like the tranny sucking a nipple pic because u can tell it's a male taking the pic. Why else would you take a pic of a tranny licking nipples? Aren't they supposed to lick dicks?

Most transvestites are actually heterosexual. Not all the photos and poems from the exhibition are shown: there’s another photo in the series, very similar, of a woman licking another woman’s nipple….a fairly common male fantasy! Laugh RollEyes

Offline Marc S.  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:38:10 PM(UTC)
Marc S.

BTW the nipple belongs to one of Joaquin's past co-stars...and it's not a tranny but her ex-boyfriend...though a tranny would have been cool too.
Offline sami  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 3:37:34 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Marc S. wrote:
BTW the nipple belongs to one of Joaquin's past co-stars...and it's not a tranny but her ex-boyfriend...though a tranny would have been cool too.

Marc,
I honestly don't care whether the nipple belongs to some1 famous or not. I am a fan of Joaquin just because I like his acting not bec he's famous . Honestly, I think there is too much weight on the pics because there is famous ppl in them but again the poems, that's what you created , that's what's important . Perhaps U should try publishing them on their own and then the pics on their own maybe.
Otherwise how can u know whether ppl like ur poems or they're just buying the book coz there's famous ppl in them ?
And the nipple comment, I don't judge I just say why not reverse? Why not a girl licking a mans nipple ? I just was pointing out that the majority of times we see pics through men's eyes ... Perhaps I will try to do sth about it, wink !
Offline Marc S.  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 4:46:21 AM(UTC)
Marc S.

sami wrote:
Marc S. wrote:

Marc,
I honestly don't care whether the nipple belongs to some1 famous or not. I am a fan of Joaquin just because I like his acting not bec he's famous . Honestly, I think there is too much weight on the pics because there is famous ppl in them but again the poems, that's what you created , that's what's important . Perhaps U should try publishing them on their own and then the pics on their own maybe.
Otherwise how can u know whether ppl like ur poems or they're just buying the book coz there's famous ppl in them ?
And the nipple comment, I don't judge I just say why not reverse? Why not a girl licking a mans nipple ? I just was pointing out that the majority of times we see pics through men's eyes ... Perhaps I will try to do sth about it, wink !

Trust me, the conundrum of having them attached to celebrities is bothersome to me for a number of reasons. As the lowly writer I'd be an idiot not to wonder if anyone would ever have heard of my writing without it. Also I loathe celebrity worship. However, I didn't think of Joaq and RDJ that way when I knew them. I shared the stuff with them as a friend, just as I did with many other non-famous people. Personally I'm pleased in most cases the subjects are unrecognizable. As for publishing them separately I have almost a 1000 poems now that I'm working on different projects with. Since the poems attached to the images were meant for our book I decided to keep them together. If/when they sell out I am officially finished with it. I just needed to put it out there while there was still time. And about the nipple, you have a good point. There are some images from that shoot that capture what you're conveying but I thought that fit the poem best.
Offline sami  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 5:44:31 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Please read this article published yesterday in the NYT :

Younger Americans die earlier and live in poorer health than their counterparts in other developed countries, with far higher rates of death from guns, car accidents and drug addiction, according to a new analysis of health and longevity in the United States.
Multimedia

Graphic
Differences in Life Expectancy
Researchers have known for some time that the United States fares poorly in comparison with other rich countries, a trend established in the 1980s. But most studies have focused on older ages, when the majority of people die.

The findings were stark. Deaths before age 50 accounted for about two-thirds of the difference in life expectancy between males in the United States and their counterparts in 16 other developed countries, and about one-third of the difference for females. The countries in the analysis included Canada, Japan, Australia, France, Germany and Spain.

The 378-page study by a panel of experts convened by the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council is the first to systematically compare death rates and health measures for people of all ages, including American youths. It went further than other studies in documenting the full range of causes of death, from diseases to accidents to violence. It was based on a broad review of mortality and health studies and statistics.

The panel called the pattern of higher rates of disease and shorter lives “the U.S. health disadvantage,” and said it was responsible for dragging the country to the bottom in terms of life expectancy over the past 30 years. American men ranked last in life expectancy among the 17 countries in the study, and American women ranked second to last.

“Something fundamental is going wrong,” said Dr. Steven Woolf, chairman of the Department of Family Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University, who led the panel. “This is not the product of a particular administration or political party. Something at the core is causing the U.S. to slip behind these other high-income countries. And it’s getting worse.”

Car accidents, gun violence and drug overdoses were major contributors to years of life lost by Americans before age 50.

The rate of firearm homicides was 20 times higher in the United States than in the other countries, according to the report, which cited a 2011 study of 23 countries. And though suicide rates were lower in the United States, firearm suicide rates were six times higher.

Sixty-nine percent of all American homicide deaths in 2007 involved firearms, compared with an average of 26 percent in other countries, the study said. “The bottom line is that we are not preventing damaging health behaviors,” said Samuel Preston, a demographer and sociologist at the University of Pennsylvania, who was on the panel. “You can blame that on public health officials, or on the health care system. No one understands where responsibility lies.”

Panelists were surprised at just how consistently Americans ended up at the bottom of the rankings. The United States had the second-highest death rate from the most common form of heart disease, the kind that causes heart attacks, and the second-highest death rate from lung disease, a legacy of high smoking rates in past decades. American adults also have the highest diabetes rates.

Youths fared no better. The United States has the highest infant mortality rate among these countries, and its young people have the highest rates of sexually transmitted diseases, teen pregnancy and deaths from car crashes. Americans lose more years of life before age 50 to alcohol and drug abuse than people in any of the other countries.

Americans also had the lowest probability over all of surviving to the age of 50. The report’s second chapter details health indicators for youths where the United States ranks near or at the bottom. There are so many that the list takes up four pages. Chronic diseases, including heart disease, also played a role for people under 50.

“We expected to see some bad news and some good news,” Dr. Woolf said. “But the U.S. ranked near and at the bottom in almost every heath indicator. That stunned us.”

There were bright spots. Death rates from cancers that can be detected with tests, like breast cancer, were lower in the United States. Adults had better control over their cholesterol and high blood pressure. And the very oldest Americans — above 75 — tended to outlive their counterparts.

The panel sought to explain the poor performance. It noted the United States has a highly fragmented health care system, with limited primary care resources and a large uninsured population. It has the highest rates of poverty among the countries studied.

Education also played a role. Americans who have not graduated from high school die from diabetes at three times the rate of those with some college, Dr. Woolf said. In the other countries, more generous social safety nets buffer families from the health consequences of poverty, the report said.

Still, even the people most likely to be healthy, like college-educated Americans and those with high incomes, fare worse on many health indicators.

The report also explored less conventional explanations. Could cultural factors like individualism and dislike of government interference play a role? Americans are less likely to wear seat belts and more likely to ride motorcycles without helmets.

The United States is a bigger, more heterogeneous society with greater levels of economic inequality, and comparing its health outcomes to those in countries like Sweden or France may seem lopsided. But the panelists point out that this country spends more on health care than any other in the survey. And as recently as the 1950s, Americans scored better in life expectancy and disease than many of the other countries in the current study.

http://health.nytimes.co...ml?inline=nyt-classifier

Ps. Nice talking to u Marcos !!

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2013 1:28:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 6:18:49 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Marcos, espero q no te parezca demasiado entrometida pero me parece q lo mejor sería donar la exposición a una asociación de ayuda a adolescentes drogadictos. Les podría hacer mucho bien tener modelos de gente que ha podido salir de las drogas . Ademas , ahora mismo la manera q sobreviven los artistas es compartiendo. Quien da recibes .. Creo que sería muy bonito si lo hicieras así y a largo plazo te daría más beneficios . Es sólo mi opinión , ... paz.

Edited by user Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:24:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:22:56 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Te he escrito para q lo veas ;-)
Offline Marc S.  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 4:18:41 AM(UTC)
Marc S.

Hey Sami...thanks again for your input...would love to discuss on phone...in english or spanish...email me if you want and i'll send you number...M
Offline Marc S.  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:26:41 AM(UTC)
Marc S.

This is better than any book w' Michael Muller photos:  https://www.createspace.com/4169858

Offline joy  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:42:20 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hello again, Marcos. :)

Are the poems in this book the same ones that were for Another Night Upon Us?