JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 5:55:29 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)

I just thought it would be nice to see these photos again.

Edited by user Friday, April 19, 2013 6:03:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline kitten  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:30:02 AM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
joy wrote:

I am smiling so bad

Offline justme  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 10:25:27 AM(UTC)
justme

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Linking with the whole Johnny Cash thing.....here's an interview with Joaquin from the time of Walk the Line! It's on Conan O'Brien!

It's one of Joaquin's funny interviews where we get to see his quirky sense of humour!

Edited by moderator Friday, April 19, 2013 4:00:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Embedded YouTube video into post.

Offline joy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:18:17 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Singwahwaddy ingersplocken neet.

Seriously, that's a great interview, justme.  Joaquin has his old tooth in that clip. Aww, I liked that tooth.

Hehe...I just knew Kitten would like those photos.

How about some music?

Offline joy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:35:23 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

The originals...

Offline justme  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:32:35 AM(UTC)
justme

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
joy wrote:

Seriously, that's a great interview, justme.  Joaquin has his old tooth in that clip. Aww, I liked that tooth.

How about some music?

Neetnyack gorganwan. Don't you love Joaquin's quirky side?

I found the interview on youtube, which was a pleasant surprise, given that there don't seem to be too many Joaquin interviews on there. I guess because he's not a big fan of the whole talk show thing.

I love Joaquin singing, Joy! And I've never noticed the tooth before!

Offline kitten  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:29:33 PM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

joy wrote:

How about some music?

have a question?  what is the deal with his tooth?  lol, lol, I am lol so bad,  need some new pictures on JP

Offline joy  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 2:04:01 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

justme wrote:
Neetnyack gorganwan.  Don't you love Joaquin's quirky side?

He’s a funny guy. You do the lingo well, justme.

I wonder if Joaquin is familiar with Stanley Unwin? He’s dead now, but I think he and Joaquin would have got along very well. Here he is with some of the early Carry On gang in 'Carry On Regardless'...

justme wrote:

kitten wrote:
have a question? what is the deal with his tooth?

Joaquin used to have a kind of snaggle tooth...

And then he had his teeth fixed (don't know why) around the time WTL came out...

kitten wrote:
lol, lol, I am lol so bad, need some new pictures on JP  

Since those photos of Joaquin with SS, RP & VV he’s gone underground.

Offline kitten  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 3:07:20 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

joy wrote:

justme wrote:

I wonder if Joaquin is familiar with Stanley Unwin? He’s dead now, but I think he and Joaquin would have got along very well. Here he is with some of the early Carry On gang in 'Carry On Regardless'...

justme wrote:

kitten wrote:

And then he had his teeth fixed (don't know why) around the time WTL came out...

kitten wrote:

I know what is up with that??   what up with Joaquin Phoenix 

Offline joy  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 4:24:46 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

kitten wrote:
I know what is up with that??   what up with Joaquin Phoenix 

When Joaquin gets bored and wants to wind his fans up again he'll be all over the shop.

Offline admin  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 5:33:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Hi Joy,

I'm familiar with Carry On films and the cast, but never heard if Stanley Unwin... i take it he was just in the one Carry On film?

I'd love the thought of Joaquin just watching a Carry On film... they're pretty dated now, but i think he'd enjoy some of the popular ones... Camping, At your convenience, Nurse, etc... it would just be cool to know Joaquin had seen at least one Carry On film 

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline kitten  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 5:37:50 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

joy wrote:

I wish I was in that room   

love to take care of you , sir

Offline kitten  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 5:39:37 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

joy wrote:

justme wrote:

justme wrote:

kitten wrote:

kitten wrote:

hope we get some new pic's soon, 

Offline joy  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 6:22:01 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

admin wrote:
Hi Joy,

I'm familiar with Carry On films and the cast, but never heard if Stanley Unwin... i take it he was just in the one Carry On film?

I'm familiar with SU but didn't know he'd been in a Carry On film until I looked on Youtube for a SU clip. There aren't any others that I can see so maybe it was just the one.

Admin wrote:
I'd love the thought of Joaquin just watching a Carry On film... they're pretty dated now, but i think he'd enjoy some of the popular ones... Camping, At your convenience, Nurse, etc... it would just be cool to know Joaquin had seen at least one Carry On film  

I think they're a bit dated now too but they still have their moments. I like the early ones best. Maybe Joaquin has seen one of them - you posted Carry On at Your Convenience somewhere on the board, remember?

Offline joy  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 6:31:12 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

kitten wrote:

I wish I was in that room   

Looks like Joaquin's had enough. Lol.

kitten wrote:

love to take care of you , sir

Have you noticed Joaquin's little finger resting on the cup in the first photo?

Offline joy  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:02:09 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Another Man in Black Visits Folsom Prison

Article By SHARON WAXMAN

Published: January 5, 2006

REPRESA, Calif., Jan. 3

From the back he might have been Johnny Cash. Clad in black, the man clutching a brown Gibson guitar case walked with a half-stride, half-shuffle up to the gray steel gate at the hard stone entrance to Folsom State Prison.

But it was Joaquin Phoenix, the 31-year-old actor who plays Cash in the film "Walk the Line." At the invitation of a Folsom chaplain, he came on Tuesday to the medieval-style prison that Johnny Cash memorialized in song, to revive the country star's legacy and offer modern-day inspiration to the inmates. He even sang.

It was nearly four decades ago, in January 1968, that Cash recorded a live concert for the inmates at Folsom, with his signature song "Folsom Prison Blues" cementing his reputation as an outlaw who might well have "shot a man in Reno/ just to watch him die," as the song went. (Cash was never behind bars for more than a few days, for minor offenses.) Recreated in the opening scene of "Walk the Line," the prison concert became a best-selling album despite the skepticism of Cash's record company, Columbia, and reignited the singer's career after years of decline into drug addiction and commercial obscurity.

On Tuesday, Mr. Phoenix was joined by his friend Shooter Jennings (who plays his father, Waylon, in the film) and an entourage of executives from 20th Century Fox who flew up on a private jet to screen the film for a select group of inmates, while most of the prison's 4,000 other residents were able to watch it in their cells on closed-circuit television. A studio camera crew, a photographer friend of Mr. Phoenix and a reporter were there to document the day, along with a few local journalists, who were allowed into the screening.

Mr. Phoenix was not in character. Slight where Cash was tall, shy where Cash was gruff, the actor still seemed at ease among the men he met at Folsom, a medium-security facility.

On a tour of the grounds - where guards with rifles patrolled in roof-level cages - he sought out prisoners as he walked through the cellblocks and the cafeteria where Cash had performed. He paused to sign forearms or sweatshirts, or just wave at men who shouted "Joaquin!" from their exercise yard.

Much of the prison has been on "lockdown," segregated by race and with strictly limited movement, since racial rioting broke out last October. Since the days when Cash sang here, Folsom has become more of a racial stew, with tension among black, Latino and white gang members. One yard had only black prisoners, who clamored to see Reese Witherspoon.

"What do you do here?" Mr. Phoenix asked Cory McClintic, a blond, blue-eyed 21-year-old, behind bars in a five-tiered cellblock. The closetlike cells each house two men and are barely wider by an arm's length than the bunk bed's frame.

"Landscaping," replied Mr. McClintic, who is serving 101/2 years for armed robbery. "It's the only place that looks like the outside."

Mr. McClintic said he was unaware of Folsom's history either as the subject of Johnny Cash's 1956 song, or as a place where the singer performed his legendary concert.

Older inmates said they were aware but were more interested in talking about themselves. "I will not stab you in the back," said Clopher Dotson, 54, shaking Mr. Phoenix's hands warmly from behind the bars of his cell. "We deserve to be treated like human beings."

Tuesday's event might have looked like a Hollywood publicity stunt, but it actually began with an invitation from a religious outreach group called the Prison Fellowship, whose leaders felt that "Walk the Line" might inspire inmates with its story of redemption. The group was founded by Chuck Colson, a Watergate felon who became religious while incarcerated.

"I felt this was a good example to these guys and an encouragement to them," said Chaplain Larry West, who approached the studio with the idea. "Here was a guy who was an alcoholic, a drug addict, he had instances of trying to commit suicide - I thought it would be a good example of how you can put your life together."

Only about 70 inmates were chosen to watch the film together in the prison chapel, all of whom were members of the Prison Fellowship or chosen for good behavior. Up on screen in the chapel, as Ms. Witherspoon, playing June Carter Cash, accepted a marriage proposal from Mr. Phoenix-as-Cash, the men in denim prison outfits sat quietly. One young man with a shaved head had "Compton" tattooed in large letters on his scalp.

After the film, Mr. Phoenix and Mr. Jennings played four songs, with Mr. Phoenix laughing his way through the performance, which he said was rusty. He ended with "Folsom Prison Blues," one of the songs most closely identified with Mr. Cash and one, oddly enough, that the singer largely plagiarized from a 1953 song by Gordon Jenkins, "Crescent City Blues." (Mr. Cash had to pay Mr. Jenkins once his song became a hit, according to Michael Streissguth's 2004 book "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison: The Making of a Masterpiece.")

Regardless, at Folsom and in other prison performances such as at San Quentin, Mr. Cash forged a spiritual bond with convicts whom he considered fellow social outcasts and individuals worthy of his respect.

On Tuesday there were inmates who remembered that. The 66-year-old E. C. Breland, known as Buddy, was at Folsom in the 1970's, when Cash played another concert for the inmates. He was there again for the screening on Tuesday, where he met and spoke with Mr. Phoenix.

Mr. Breland, a Louisiana native who has spent more of his life in jail than out, remembered the 1970's concert as a raucous affair, a party atmosphere where the inmates were kept at a distance from the singer. The movie was different, he said, quiet and unexpectedly moving. Cash's story reminded him of his own life.

"It's about a Southern boy who grows up and does good," said Mr. Breland, who is serving a life sentence for murder. "I'm a Southern boy who grew up and didn't do good."

Sitting in the back of the chapel at the end of the day, Mr. Phoenix rested his head on the end."  of his guitar case, spent. He met Cash just once, months before he ever knew he would play him on screen. He learned to play the guitar and submerged himself in becoming the Man in Black. Now he found himself singing Cash's songs about a prison, in the prison.

"Full circle," Mr. Phoenix murmured. "More than anything, it feels like the completion of a journey.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/05/movies/05fols.html?_r=0

Offline admin  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:52:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Joy,

Takes real guts and talent to do that... i'm sure i read that Joaquin only really learnt to play guitar while preparing for Walk the line? (Obviously we know his brother River could play).

Pretty amazing that he went from just learning guitar to being able to play to an audience so fast 
Offline joy  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:43:44 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I'll have to take your word for this, Admin because I don't play guitar. However, I think Joaquin spent a lot of time preparing for WTL and learning how to play the guitar; then playing all the time he was filming too, so I think he'd been strumming for quite some time.

Let's face it....some bands have guitar players that have been playing for less time than Joaquin.

PS: Just out of interest, how complex are Johnny Cash's tunes to play?

Offline admin  
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:54:41 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joy wrote:
PS: Just out of interest, how complex are Johnny Cash's tunes to play?

I'n no expert... but they seem pretty straight forward, just need to get the rhythm right! I think Johnny Cash is one of those guitarists that plays his song differently every so often with improvisation, probably to keep it fresh and interesting for himself. 

Have you seen this?

It's a bit an awkward watch to be honest (especially the part where they pass the baby around like a sack of spuds while singing ). But that's probably because it's of a different time and different values. 

Edited by user Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:02:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:15:46 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Then maybe it wasn't so difficult for Joaquin to play at Folsom? Not that I want to diminish or undervalue his achievement, but if the tunes are simple enough to play...and he is a performer.

No, I haven't seen that video, Admin. I'll watch it in a minute and let you know what I think. The baby part sounds awful.