JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:53:53 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)

There are times when photos of Joaquin remind me of other things. How about you?

Abbe de Coulmier

'Chatterton' by Henry Wallis

How did that get here?

Joaquin....

Alan Bates...

Can you see the likeness? No? Look at the photo quickly; or with squinted eyes; or dim the lights, even. See it now? Oh well, please yourselves.

Here's Alan Bates as 'The Man' in 'Whistle Down the Wind'. I always think Joaquin would be great in this role but I actually would hate to see this film remade in Hollywood. Anyway, can Joaquin do a Lancashire accent? I'd looove to hear him if he can.

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:56:53 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
I wonder what Joaquin thinks about doing those "shirt off or open" photo-shoots? Bearing in mind his opinion of all the celebrity and hollywood culture... i'm surprised he goes along with doing those types of photos  Maybe he just sees it as art... or maybe he's giving the fans what he thinks they want? I don't hear many complaints and there seems to be quite a lot of those type of photos of Joaquin!  
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:08:19 AM(UTC)
joy

Hi Admin,

I think Joaquin's perception/opinion of Hollywood & celebrity culture has evolved since the days when he did those 'shirt off or open' photos. The Vanity Fair one (see above) is the last of its kind for Joaquin I think - taken around the time of WTL. I can't recall any that Joaquin's done since then, anyway. Or maybe he just thinks that it might look a bit ridiculous for someone of his age to be doing cheesecake photos?

I actually think the VF photo is unerotic. Always have done. How to put this into words? Jaded is the word which comes to my mind about this pic. He looks jaded.

Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:51:14 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Hi Joy, yes i think you're correct, of the more recent photos there doesn't seem to be many "shirt open" type ones.

Why do you think Joaquin takes part in these photo-shoots at all these days, do you think he is pressured to do so by his PR people? Some photos are to promote the movies he is in (ala Walk the line), but a lot are just photos with well known celebrity photographers? We obviously know he is interested in art and photography, but that doesn't mean it needs to be photographs of himself...

... i'm just trying to get a grasp on how Joaquin's opinions of the "celebrity culture/circus" correspond with his actions, such as taking part in these photo-shoots and also attending award ceremonies... must be a conflict for him or do you think he just sees it as necessary evil or do you think, recently, he is done with the whole charade of it all? We can clearly see he is withdrawing from interviews and press junkets for movies... i wonder what he will withdraw from next? Will he end up being one of the hollywood recluses?
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:51:05 AM(UTC)
joy

admin wrote:
Hi Joy, yes i think you're correct, of the more recent photos there doesn't seem to be many "shirt open" type ones.

I don’t think there are any recent shirt open types are there?? Please post if there are!

admin wrote:
Why do you think Joaquin takes part in these photo-shoots at all these days, do you think he is pressured to do so by his PR people? Some photos are to promote the movies he is in (ala Walk the line), but a lot are just photos with well known celebrity photographers? We obviously know he is interested in art and photography, but that doesn't mean it needs to be photographs of himself...

No, but he is in the film business and it’s part and parcel of that to do promo for films…interviews, photos and so on. Maybe he’s been contractually obliged in the past or his PR suggested he did photo-shoots as a way of getting his face known and in magazines and so on. I don’t think in the earlier shoots Joaquin had to have his arm twisted; I think he was savvy enough to know that’s what he had to do back then. Getting known as a good actor in the industry is part of it but the industry also wants bums on seats and the paying public is more likely to go and see a film if they know of the actors or are fans.

So, doing photo-shoots is a way to get fans too, I think. It’s about raising your profile. And if your profile is raised enough then the film people will take notice of you and think about you for their next film which will get you more fans and more photos and more film offers and round it goes. I think.  Something like that.

Personally, I think Joaquin’s attitude to all this stuff changed after all the promo work he did for WTL. Maybe the Vanity Fair bare-chested on the bed photo was a turning point for him? I don’t know. Maybe Joaquin took a look at what he’d done as far as promoting himself and his work was concerned and decided that he needed to change tack? Get his sanity or self esteem back? Try and break free from the machine?…that kind of thing.

Some of the interviews which came out around that time (WTL) and afterwards were a bit ‘darker’ than the lovable, kooky Joaquin we had all grown to love. Some of the photo-shoots from that time and afterwards were ‘harder’ too. Even his attitude at press conferences became different, I think. I’m thinking of the press conference for ‘Reservation Road’ in Toronto and then Cannes (or was it Venice?) for WOTN. Then there was ISH. It’s like something happened, a light going on (or off) after/around the time of WTL.

admin wrote:
... i'm just trying to get a grasp on how Joaquin's opinions of the "celebrity culture/circus" correspond with his actions, such as taking part in these photo-shoots and also attending award ceremonies... must be a conflict for him or do you think he just sees it as necessary evil or do you think, recently, he is done with the whole charade of it all? We can clearly see he is withdrawing from interviews and press junkets for movies... i wonder what he will withdraw from next? Will he end up being one of the hollywood recluses?

Part 2 later....

Offline justme  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 5:50:11 AM(UTC)
justme

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hiya

I've just read through this entire discussion and it's been something I've been thinking about a lot, as well. (Not just photos of Joaquin shirtless, ha ha!) But Joy, I agree with what you said that there was a change in Joaquin around the time of Walk the Line-I've read a lot of his interviews before that and he came across as quirky, and sweet, maybe even a little innocent, especially when he was younger...Naturally, everyone gets less innocent as they get older, but he definitely seemed, as you said, Joy, "harder" after Walk the Line. I noticed that, too.

When Joaquin was younger, he often seemed pretty sweet and his shyness was kind of endearing-one interviewer actually described him as "achingly polite!" But yeah, something changed-maybe he just got older, but it seemed more abrupt than that. He seemed to get quite a bit harder and definitely a bit more cynical. Maybe it's just to do with things that have happened to him personally, that have made him think more about Hollywood and its' effects?

Someone said Joaquin seemed more "unhappy" lately, and while I'm not sure I agree, I would say there's been a change in him. Maybe it's just life? Obviously, not knowing Joaquin personally, I can't say for sure. But yeah, he does seem to have more of a-almost more of a shell since Walk the Line. And to be sometimes, a little less happy. 

When he first started out, James Gray said he sensed an "inner Beelzebub" in Joaquin. And maybe that side of him's got more pronounced as he's got older. Also, he's hounded a lot more by the media now than he used to be, partly because his profile has risen, but also because the media has developed so much in recent years. I mean, when Joaquin was in To Die For, which was 1995, there weren't nearly as many mobiles and the Internet wasn't nearly as popular. Nowadays, information is accessed so much more quickly, and celebrity gossip sells really fast. Joaquin himself has commented on this-he said that when River passed away, it was toward the end of an era and that had it happened today, it would have been all over the Internet and blogs. Which it probably would have been, sadly.

So maybe that's had an effect. I think he probably is required to do a certain number of photoshoots for publicity-it would probably be in his contract.

Joaquin said about what was going on in Venice, when some people complained about how he behaved at the press conference for the Master(can't believe that was nearly a year ago!) that he didn't mean to hurt people's feelings, and it wasn't intended to upset others. I don't think he does intend to offend others at all. I think he's just true to himself and how he feels. But something else he said (and I'm paraphrasing!) was that he didn't want to let himself get caught up in celebrity because he didn't want to start thinking of himself as something special and start thinking he was above other people. He said he knew that he was susceptible to thinking like that, and that that was one of the reasons he seemed to keep himself apart from it sometimes. Maybe that's another part of it-though I wouldn't describe Joaquin as thinking himself above anyone!

People have described him as reclusive before. Maybe it's a part of his personality-just enjoying acting for the acting, and hating the publicity side of it. When he did publicity for To Die For, Gus Van Sant said that Joaquin didn't relate to magazines or magazine ads at all, and he couldn't understand why people felt such a need for the media. (Again, paraphrasing.) Maybe it's just how fake some of the media feels that he dislikes? I'm just speculating.

What does everyone else think? And sorry for that extremely long post!

Offline HippieChick  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 10:39:01 AM(UTC)
HippieChick

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Speaking of the open shirt subject, I have noticed that Joaquin doesn't seem to have any chest hair down the middle of his chest, just on the sides.  Did he have any kind of surgery or something?