JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:51:26 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

The other day someone was playing this song on the subway. I had just seen PSH face on the news stand and I had tears in my eyes while this music was playing. 
When I got home I googled it and I found out it was part of the Boogie Nights soundtrack. Listening to the lyrics I found the message was striking. Sometimes coincidences feel more like messages from the above.

Joy, I listened to the interview on youtube . It's very interesting but.. is he defending the use of heroine? Or is he just saying "it's what you make of it" I think asking why did he take heroine makes sense. Of course there must ahve been a reason . If it's sort of a pain killer, maybe he was in a lot of pain?
Offline joy  
#22 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 12:20:58 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Oh yeah. That tune is a disco goodie.

I think WS was discussing a different viewpoint of heroin and heroin use. Not necessarily defending it, just inviting a view that is a bit broader than the norm. He said he didn't know anything about PSH's using so he wasn't saying this is what PSH was doing. He was saying that heroin use and addiction is widespread and occurs in all strata of socety - it's not just a drug from council estates or the gutter - the way society tends to think of it. A lot of people who are in pain are prescribed it medically as dia-morphine (heroin). It's the drug that is often used for the terminally ill who are in pain. We don't see them as junkies, do we? Why not? Aside from strictly medical usage, WS said that it takes quite a lot of effort to become an addicted junkie to heroin. Meaning, I think, that one shot in the arm or up the nose doesn't make you an addict. The person chooses to do it again. And again. And again. (Again, aside from medical use). Why? Because they like the feeling it gives them? It enhances creativity? WS also spoke in general about addictive behaviour.  

I just wanted to post something different from Russell Brand. He advocates the drug addiction is a disease theory but it's not the only theory out there. RB also advocates legalising/de-criminalising all drugs and having drugs available to addicts via the medical profession. Whilst that might cut down death rates from overdose and crime rates might fall, it doesn't stop people from taking drugs in the first place. 

Try and listen to the radio broadcast if you can. It's amazing to know how much of the world's cultural output has been influenced by and produced under the influence of heroin. I wonder...Would Billie Holliday have been as great a singer as she if she hadn't used heroin? Would Charlie Parker have produced such sublime saxaphone playing if he hadn't been a heroin user? Would James Baldwin have been able to write with such observation and precision if he hadn't used heroin? What would The Velvet Underground have sounded like without heroin? And so on and so on..

I am still angry, upset and disgusted by how PSH's death has been handled by the authorities and the media. 

Offline justme  
#23 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 12:59:05 AM(UTC)
justme

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I did think it quite cold that the paparazzi were taking photos of the church outside the funeral. And that they zoomed in on Philip's children. I think they should remember how young those kids are and that they've just lost their father. They need time to grieve and they don't need the press documenting that. It's hard enough to lose someone at any age, let alone as a child. The worst part is the media coverage-their father hasn't just died, he's died of a suspected drug overdose. How are those children going to feel when they go online and type in their father's name and see all of the reports and suspicions, not to mention all the trolls on other sites? I feel really bad for them and I hope they're OK. His partner Mimi, too.

RIP Philip. You were a great actor and from the sounds of it, a really nice guy. Rest in peace.

Drugs really are one of the deadliest things out there.

Offline joy  
#24 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 5:58:19 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I haven't seen any of that stuff, justme, and I agree, but it's the kind of thing people want to see these days, isn't it? 

My feelings come from the revealing of the circumstances of PSH's death. I've said this before regarding another incident, but it is a gross misconduct, I think, for people in positions of trust and responsibility to reveal information that shouldn't be revealed. In PSH's instance, the fact that he was in his underwear and had a needle in his arm, etc. That information was not authorised for public knowledge yet it was passed on. Where is the dignity and respect for PSH in that? Died of a suspected drug overdose is all the information that was required! Once again, our appetites for all the fucking sordid, morbid and salacious details are being satiated by people who should know and behave better. 

Offline admin  
#25 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 6:14:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
I'm wondering what Paul Thomas Anderson is currently going through. At present he's spending his days on post-production and editing Inherent Vice, a film strewn with drug taking (albeit mainly dope and hallucinogenic drugs). There is even a character who "dies" from an overdose.

I wonder if what has happened to his Philip will have an impact on Paul's final cut of the film? We can only speculate, but it can't be easy material to work with everyday bering in mind what has happened to a close friend. 

Putting the drug-related matters aside, i'm sure it's going to be fantastic film... i'm particularly looking forward to the look and feel of the movie as well as how Joaquin portrays Doc Sportello... an incoherent mumble perhaps? 
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#26 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 7:25:59 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I can only imagine what PTA is currently going through, Admin. Perhaps he'll take some days away from the editing room to grieve for PSH. We don't know whether PTA will include the overdosing character in his film, do we? From photos of Joaquin on set it looks like he won't be appearing with a white afro, so PTA might have made other changes to the book under artistic licence. If there's no OD scene in the film can we surmise that it was because of PSH's death? I don't think so. Will PTA scrap the film now because it has a large amount of drug use in it? 

If there is an OD scene in the film it probably isn't going to be much fun in the editing, but would it have been much fun anyway even if PSH hadn't died? Did PTA know anyone close to him who was a coke addict? Overdosed on coke? Did it affect his editing of Boogie Nights? Did he know anyone close who was an alcoholic? Died from alcohol poisoning? Did it affect his editing of The Master? I guess, at the end of the day, PTA will do what is best for the film and his vision. 

I had kind of forgotten about IV! Is this the film you're most looking forward to seeing now? Haha. 

Offline admin  
#27 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 7:44:22 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
joy wrote:
I can only imagine what PTA is currently going through, Admin. Perhaps he'll take some days away from the editing room to grieve for PSH. We don't know whether PTA will include the overdosing character in his film, do we? From photos of Joaquin on set it looks like he won't be appearing with a white afro, so PTA might have made other changes to the book under artistic licence. If there's no OD scene in the film can we surmise that it was because of PSH's death? I don't think so. Will PTA scrap the film now because it has a large amount of drug use in it? 

If there is an OD scene in the film it probably isn't going to be much fun in the editing, but would it have been much fun anyway even if PSH hadn't died? Did PTA know anyone close to him who was a coke addict? Overdosed on coke? Did it affect his editing of Boogie Nights? Did he know anyone close who was an alcoholic? Died from alcohol poisoning? Did it affect his editing of The Master? I guess, at the end of the day, PTA will do what is best for the film and his vision. 

I had kind of forgotten about IV! Is this the film you're most looking forward to seeing now? Haha. 

Regarded the drug overdose "death"  in Inherent Vice (and trying not to give too much away), it's just referenced rather being graphical portrayed and it also turns out that the "death" of the character is exaggerated too! So, i don't see there any need to do anything different with it for sensitivity sake.

Yes, Inherent Vice is the film i'm looking forward too the most now!  I knew Her would be good before they even started filming!  You heard it here first... i'm telling you, Inherent Vice is going to be a cool movie!  
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#28 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 8:36:34 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

admin wrote:

Regarded the drug overdose "death"  in Inherent Vice (and trying not to give too much away), it's just referenced rather being graphical portrayed and it also turns out that the "death" of the character is exaggerated too! So, i don't see there any need to do anything different with it for sensitivity sake.

Yes, Inherent Vice is the film i'm looking forward too the most now!  I knew Her would be good before they even started filming!  You heard it here first... i'm telling you, Inherent Vice is going to be a cool movie!  

Well, as with so many things, we'll just have to wait for the film to see what's what. 

Haha, yes, Admin...you're the Don for intuiting a good film.   I have a confession....I've seen 'Her' now, but I'm going to see it again soon.   

Offline sami  
#29 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 12:29:09 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I've just read your messages quickly and just to say that I'm upset about the media coverage too. It's disgusting. People magazine has a close up of his face , his eyes looking right at you .. It's really disturbing. And what they did following celebs while they were mourning is awful, they really have no respect for them.////////

Thank you Joy for bringing some new perspective into the drug addiction topic. It's true then society sees "illegal" drugs as bad and legal drugs as good. I personally don't like any options regarding drugs because I know I would get hooked easily, so I have never taken any, legal or illegal.
I've seen people get addicted to prescription drugs btw, a friend of a friend used to make himself sick to go to the emergency room and get the pain killers, couldn't get close to a hospital.
It's fucked up!
A logpng time ago I met a guy who was ex cocaine addict and ex anti depressant addict and he had done tones of therapy to cut both addictions.. After having gone through it all he told me that all the substances we artificially take are already in our body, those substances enhance the existing inherent in ourself, so that in a way we can naturally get to states of exhalation without doing the drugs, but possibly it's too scary to induce it or we might think we are crazy if we do? I haven't been into mind altering myself in purpose lately, haha but yeah, I just thought it was relevant !
I will listen to the radio programmer when I have a chance, thank you for sharing it !

Edited by user Monday, February 10, 2014 12:35:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Ex-Fedupandstressed  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:08:32 PM(UTC)
Ex-Fedupandstressed

Woman

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
admin wrote:
I'm wondering what Paul Thomas Anderson is currently going through. At present he's spending his days on post-production and editing Inherent Vice, a film strewn with drug taking (albeit mainly dope and hallucinogenic drugs). There is even a character who "dies" from an overdose.

I wonder if what has happened to his Philip will have an impact on Paul's final cut of the film? We can only speculate, but it can't be easy material to work with everyday bering in mind what has happened to a close friend. 

Putting the drug-related matters aside, i'm sure it's going to be fantastic film... i'm particularly looking forward to the look and feel of the movie as well as how Joaquin portrays Doc Sportello... an incoherent mumble perhaps? 

I know the case of a Spanish Director (Julio Medem) that called to one of his characters in a film like his sister, and the character died at the end of the movie... and few time later his sister died too.
Offline sami  
#31 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 12:25:55 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Finally, instead of TMZ, is America saying TMI? Too much information about a celebrity? The NBC news accounts of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s “secret diaries” — two volumes found in his apartment — are getting some surprising pushback.

The Times’ story on the NBC exclusive cites Twitter comments about the diaries — not their contents but NBC’s revealing them — as “pretty tacky that anon police are offering news orgs Philip Seymour Hoffman’s diary.” And so on: “simply nauseatingly intrusive” and “just despicable.”

The Times’ story itself attracted a comment in the same vein: “This is a ridiculous invasion of privacy ... he did not shoot up a school, murder his wife ... he killed himself, why do they need to know what’s in his diary? This is just ghoulish.”

Is it possible we’re getting glutted on other people’s — famous people’s — lives, and deciding to raise up walls again, at least to shield ourselves from unwanted information?

The amount of time devoted to unearthing and trafficking in celebrity gossip has grown in proportion to the places available to put it, mostly in social media. That chatter is cheap to collect and hugely profitable to purvey — compared to, say, serious reporting on how the U.S. government is handling the taxpayer-funded war in Afghanistan.

And it comes in several sizes and packages:

The complicit kind, in whch the celebrities, most of them reality-show cannon fodder, manufacture and market themselves as celebrities and violate their own privacy for a pretty penny. The “Housewives” franchise and the Kardashians come first to mind. Is there anything about themselves that they’re not willing to tell the world?

Then there’s the kind who feel some need to wrestle publicly with private demons, like Dylan and Mia Farrow and, by extension, Woody Allen. Hoffman had certainly talked about his addiction problems; perhaps it was part of the therapy to defeat them.

And there are celebs who want to be known by their work alone but who find that, paradoxically, that reluctance to “share” amps up the value of any nuggets the gossip miners can find about them.

Read more:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-philip-seymour-hoffman-diaries-death-privacy-20140212,0,5509034.story#ixzz2tMDskq9c

What they are doing now releasing his personal diaries. They have no shame. I refuse to read anything .
Offline Ex-Fedupandstressed  
#32 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 4:28:14 PM(UTC)
Ex-Fedupandstressed

Woman

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
sami wrote:

Finally, instead of TMZ, is America saying TMI? Too much information about a celebrity? The NBC news accounts of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s “secret diaries” — two volumes found in his apartment — are getting some surprising pushback.

The Times’ story on the NBC exclusive cites Twitter comments about the diaries — not their contents but NBC’s revealing them — as “pretty tacky that anon police are offering news orgs Philip Seymour Hoffman’s diary.” And so on: “simply nauseatingly intrusive” and “just despicable.”

The Times’ story itself attracted a comment in the same vein: “This is a ridiculous invasion of privacy ... he did not shoot up a school, murder his wife ... he killed himself, why do they need to know what’s in his diary? This is just ghoulish.”

Is it possible we’re getting glutted on other people’s — famous people’s — lives, and deciding to raise up walls again, at least to shield ourselves from unwanted information?

The amount of time devoted to unearthing and trafficking in celebrity gossip has grown in proportion to the places available to put it, mostly in social media. That chatter is cheap to collect and hugely profitable to purvey — compared to, say, serious reporting on how the U.S. government is handling the taxpayer-funded war in Afghanistan.

And it comes in several sizes and packages:

The complicit kind, in whch the celebrities, most of them reality-show cannon fodder, manufacture and market themselves as celebrities and violate their own privacy for a pretty penny. The “Housewives” franchise and the Kardashians come first to mind. Is there anything about themselves that they’re not willing to tell the world?

Then there’s the kind who feel some need to wrestle publicly with private demons, like Dylan and Mia Farrow and, by extension, Woody Allen. Hoffman had certainly talked about his addiction problems; perhaps it was part of the therapy to defeat them.

And there are celebs who want to be known by their work alone but who find that, paradoxically, that reluctance to “share” amps up the value of any nuggets the gossip miners can find about them.

Read more:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-philip-seymour-hoffman-diaries-death-privacy-20140212,0,5509034.story#ixzz2tMDskq9c

What they are doing now releasing his personal diaries. They have no shame. I refuse to read anything .

I think that we live in a nasty society where everything is potentially fit to be sold... so privacity is turned into merchandise. I want to tell the difference between celebrities and artists... and I'm going to refer to the last interview that Administrator has put (in Her topic)... where JP says that being an actor is being a simple employed. When someone want to be a celebrity, what really want is to be famous, regardless of the work... The result is that some of this people is are going to go into a dangerous play... with the only goal of being famous; it involves to sell their privacity...
People generally has curiosity... did you never feel curiosity about someone's life? And if someone put his or her privacity on the media it's going to feed this curiosity and to produce more curiosity...
I put the example of Spain, where we crossed the line few years ago in this kind of stuff... when all this shows in television which were made to sell privacity even created a new race of celebrities that aren't artists or people who are known for their work...
You are able to see the girl friend's cousing of the ex girl friends' girlfriend.... and as if it was a family tree, you can read the line until find the artist or first celebrity who created this freaky dynasty.
So finally we see that the interest is not the person... but the morbid curiosity. In Spain Joaquin Phoenix or Philip Seymour Hoffman lifes already don't care anyone... in fact, you aren't going to see in any of this shows to talk about actors or singers... only about freaks...