JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline admin  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 3:52:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in New York City apartment - @WSJ

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday in a New York City apartment of an apparent drug overdose ... TMZ has learned authorities found a needle in his arm.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the actor was found Sunday morning inside of his Greenwich apartment ... and they're still on scene investigating.

Details surrounding his death are unclear ... but the actor had struggled with drug problems ... most recently checking himself into a rehab facility for heroin back in May.

As we previously reported ... Hoffman had been clean for 23 years but fell off the wagon in 2012.

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline joy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:55:32 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
That is very sad news. 
Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:06:55 AM(UTC)
sami

OMG, I'm in shock. Not Phillip !
Offline sami  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:57:42 AM(UTC)
sami

joy wrote:
That is very sad news. 

Very sad indeed.
I would have never thought a year ago that I would be reading this news. I wish there would be a mechanism in place for people at risk to prevent this from happening again.
My thoughts and prayers are for his family and close friends.
Offline sami  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 11:10:03 AM(UTC)
sami

Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:17:14 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Nice candle image Sami.

Looks like Joaquin, and others, have made a trip they didn't expect to have to make anytime soon 

Joaquin Phoenix and Eric Bogosian enter Mimi O'Donnell's residence on Tuesday.

In the last photo, that looks like director Paul Thomas Anderson on the right whom Philip worked with in many movies including The Master.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:25:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:06:51 PM(UTC)
sami

Thank you Admin for the candle comment and for the pictures of Joaquin. It makes me want to give him a hug. he must be going through a lot..
 PTA must be devastated. He mentioned in an interview last year that Philip was one of his best friends.

The media is talking a lot about Philip here in the USA. Everybody is in shock.  I feel so bad that I hadn't valued him more while he was alive. Gosh , we spoke about the Master and we never really talked about him as much as we talked about Joaquin, and he was freaking good. I wonder if he ever felt like he didn't get enough recognition. 

I am very upset with a society that allows things like this to happen over and over. They are saying that heroin use has doubled since 2007 and the reason is that  people get hooked on prescription drugs - pain killers- and when they run out they find that heroin as a substitute because of a similar composition.They are now investigating who was the dealer that sold him the drugs. 

It feels so unjust that Philip died. We all go through difficult moments, a moment of weakness , we all have that.. but I guess if you are a drug addict, those difficult moments become extra dangerous. How can you stop this from happening ? I wish we could bring Philip back and tell him how wonderful he is and to please do everything it takes to stop using but now it's too late ! Sometimes all you need is somebody to show you their feelings and make you feel like you matter.. 
An expert was saying on the news yesterday that heroine is so hard to give up it takes about 6 or 7 times to relapse before you can really quit for good. Many people won't make it to the end. Philip had relapsed twice.. 

NYTimes cover today... I wish they had something more personal to say .. He wasn't just an actor. He was the actor.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:18:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:34:40 PM(UTC)
sami

Edited by user Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:39:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Ex-Fedupandstressed  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:35:20 PM(UTC)
Ex-Fedupandstressed

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I wrote a long message but the system has sacked me...

I said that it is a pitty, because he was a great actor, but I think it's really strange the way he was found at his home.

About drugs... I can't understand why people still get adicted... To me they don't think of its effects when they decide to try them. When I was a teenager I was tempt to smoke and take drugs, like everybody in my neighbourhood... and despite it was very difficult to socialize without doing this kind of things, I got to keep me determined... and of course, I had to fight against a lot of prejudices of the age... if you are a bore girl! if you are a child... and you know, all the things that people used to tell to make you feel unsure or to tease on you... It wasn't sexy to live in my neighbourhood being a bore girl who didn't try "new things"

But I survived ... And now I feel happy...

In this case... Actors are suppossed to consume drugs and to have a very gloomu life... I don't know if it is always true or it is simply fame. I guess that life in Hollywood must be difficult... needing to be always in the market... competing... hanging of a great success or a big disaster...
People like us talking about their lifes and even judging them... to us a simply fun, but to them a great annoyance!

Offline sami  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:37:40 AM(UTC)
sami

I'm glad you didn't fall into the drugs trap F&S, good on you  I never really did any synthetic drugs either. I would smoke hash every once in a while but it gave me a lot of anxiety and I didn't like it ! So I wasn't cool either,.. oh well !
I was reading Russell Brand article this morning on The Guardian. He used to do heroin and managed to quit. In the article he was begging for people to don't judge drug addicts because they cannot control it. It's a disease. What strikes me about PSH is that he was clean for 20 years. This means that he fought it for 20 years and thanks to it we now can enjoy his movies forever. He was a fighter and for that he deserves much respect. I cannot stop myself from crying every time I see his picture on the news. There was a tenderness about him. 

#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:09:26 PM(UTC)
Ex-Fedupandstressed

Woman

The site Joaquin Phoenix Central has put some photos of the visit of Joaquin to Philip Seymour Hoffman wife...

http://www.joaquinphoenixdarkroom.com/

Offline admin  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:42:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Philip Seymour Hoffman Wake Draws Family, Hollywood Friends of the Late ‘Capote’ Actor

Philip Seymour Hoffman Wake Draws Family, Hollywood Friends of the Late ‘Capote’ Actor

Amy Adams, Joaquin Phoenix, John C. Reilly among mourners who arrive early at the Upper East Side gathering

Offline sami  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:31:52 PM(UTC)
sami

Do you guys think he was using during The Master promotion? I remember I thought he looked a bit strange in Venice. He had stains on his shirt during the press conference, and when he picked up the prize he looked a bit "funny." I sensed something was not right with him but then again ,many people go through different things in life and it is not strange but normal,... How can one really get a sense of what is really going on with somebody and maybe try to help?
Now some of the people who saw him the last days of his life they go on tv saying how bad he was looking and it pisses me off so much ! If he looked so bad why didn't anybody try to help him???? I don't get it! If I had seen him like that I would have tried to talk  to him for sure. He wasn't a stranger he was well known to people!
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:59:33 PM(UTC)
Ex-Fedupandstressed

Woman

sami wrote:
Do you guys think he was using during The Master promotion? I remember I thought he looked a bit strange in Venice. He had stains on his shirt during the press conference, and when he picked up the prize he looked a bit "funny." I sensed something was not right with him but then again ,many people go through different things in life and it is not strange but normal,... How can one really get a sense of what is really going on with somebody and maybe try to help?
Now some of the people who saw him the last days of his life they go on tv saying how bad he was looking and it pisses me off so much ! If he looked so bad why didn't anybody try to help him???? I don't get it! If I had seen him like that I would have tried to talk  to him for sure. He wasn't a stranger he was well known to people!

Sami, I think most of people don't use to pay attention to details which might give information about a personal situation... maybe none noticed it..
Offline admin  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 1:25:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Philip Seymour Hoffman remembered at wake

Everything has gone so fast, just last weekend Philip was still with us and none of us would have predicted this happening... Now, less than a week later, his friends and family have said their final goodbyes. Family and friends, as well as is fans, must still be in shock and not able to take it all in, that's the way these things go... most of us have had this unfortunate experience with family and loved ones i'm sure 
Offline joy  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 7:14:09 AM(UTC)
joy

I'm not ready to say anything about all of this yet except:

I have a slightly different viewpoint on all of this to most people. 

and..yes, admin, death is a common denominator to everyone     http://tempuri.org/tempuri.html

and...sami, I don't believe PSH was using heroin during the Master promotion. He wasn't the only one who looked dishevelled in Venice - it's a long journey and lots of press involved. Also, PSH travelled back to Venice to collect the award for best actor (given jointly to him and Joaquin) and he literally had stepped off the plane when he accepted the award. More likely he hadn't had time to freshen up and probably had some jet lag. That's my opinion, anyway. 

Offline sami  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 9:05:19 AM(UTC)
sami

Today it's Philip's funeral. I hope he rests in peace. It's so sad.. You are right Admin, last weekend we weren't even thinking about him and now we're trying to just accept the fact that he's not here anymore. It does happen, but the thing is that Philip's life was cut in the middle, in such a violent way. Heroin is  death poison. I don't know ,I'm not sure about anything anymore  I'm a bit confused to tell you the truth.

Offline sami  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 1:04:45 PM(UTC)
sami

Here's an E Online article about today's funeral.
I don't like how they haunt celebs in moments of grief but in this case I like seeing the pictures to "be there" in a way and be able to say goodbye.
Rest In Peace Philip Seymour Hoffman.
A true master.
Offline sami  
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 1:37:54 AM(UTC)
sami

I think we have a lot of visitors that come here to read about gossip. I'm not gonna gossip !
Offline joy  
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 5:37:58 AM(UTC)
joy

sami wrote:
I think we have a lot of visitors that come here to read about gossip. I'm not gonna gossip !

Good! It's so easy to speculate about all that has happened when we don't know many facts about the whole situation. PSH's autopsy has so far proved "inconclusive" about cause of death and further toxicology tests are being undertaken. 

Since sami has spoken about reading what Russell Brand has to say about heroin addiction, I'd like to post this interview Will Self had with Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight - BBC 2. If you don't know who Will Self is, then google him. If you're wondering about his links with heroin, then google that too.

Also, coincidentally, I listened to an interesting programme on BBC Radio 4 just the other week called 'Heroin' and by the wonders of the www you can listen to it on this link:

BBC Radio 4 wrote:
Heroin has rightly earned a sulphurous reputation for destroying the lives of thousands upon thousands of people, killing many - including scores of important artists, writers and musicians. There is, though, another story to heroin. In this programme, Professor Andrew Hussey sets out to explore the extent to which it's possible to say that the drug has a particular effect on the creative output of those who have been heavily involved in using heroin, and before it, opium. He argues that while heroin won't make somebody creative who wouldn't otherwise have been, its impact on an individual's perception of time and space can be seen to modify the work of addicts and former addicts. He'll talk with, among others, author Will Self and Christiane F., whose book about her own heroin use in Berlin became a cult classic in the 1970s and 1980s, and hear from pianist James Young about the way heroin's influence can be witnessed across the works of such disparate figures as Berlioz, Bill Evans and Nico. The programme in no way seeks to glamorise heroin use, it simply addresses the question of how artists who've used the drug have been influenced as a result.

Edited by moderator Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:03:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed link.