JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:42:01 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups: Guests

I finally watched We Own the Night this weekend. It was in my top 10 movies to watch. I liked it but I was disappointed there wasn't more sex in it after the initial scene.Laugh There are great moments. I recall the one when Bobby jumps through the window.. the time when he passed out.. I love Bobby's face when he's making a phone call and his brother catches him.. the scene where they play cards on the table, the car scene... Eva Mendes feels so right for this role. After the movie I started replaying scenes which is something I never do. The ending is great because it leaves room for several possibilities. It makes you wonder whether Bobby is happy or not. The same happened with Two Lover's ending. James Gray makes you think how much of a real choices people have when it comes to their parents influence. All in all in this movie is nice to see the transformation of Bobby, the main character and also his brother played by Mark Wahlberg. Here's another very good actor.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:33:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline sami  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 3:31:26 PM(UTC)
sami

What's great about this movie is that at the beginning you expect it to be the typical movie about cops and drug dealers but it's not. Bobby at the beginning is portrayed like a really tough guy but half way through the movie his character doesn't seem consistent. That's what it seemed to me first but now I think that what's going on is something else. I think that he was trying to fool himself and others (even the audience)... dating the hot girl, doing drugs and being the king of the mambo but really he didn't belong there . He really was a good guy who loved his family - we see it when he goes to his brother party "even though they're all cops'- but didn't want to meet his father's expectations. I now understand Joaquin's comment when an interview he said that his brother had already taken that role (good cop) so he didn't have room for it and so went on the opposite.

In any case, there are many things that don't make sense to me yet and this is something that happened with Two Lovers as well. I didn't think about it but there were questions that kept coming back to my mind for quite a long period of time after seeing the film.. I luv James GRay and Joaquin Phoenix !!

Edited by user Friday, March 30, 2012 3:58:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:40:36 PM(UTC)
sami

OMG, I just read James Gray intentions on the film. I got it wrong... yes, something wasn't adding up. What really happened is that Bobby sacrificed his lifestyle to do the right thing. This is why at the end he was so sad.. he lost his girlfriend, his life style, his happiness.. I thought he was gonna run away..
http://blogs.indiewire.c...laylist&utm_content=

Edited by user Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:09:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline noraphoenix69  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 7:56:12 PM(UTC)
noraphoenix69

Groups: Registered
Woman

I just want to watch that movie..
Maybe someone can give me link?
Offline joy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 1:44:19 PM(UTC)
joy

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I re-watched WOTN last night. 

I saw the film in the cinema when it came out all those years ago. A small screening room in a multi-screen complex. Not many people there on the day I went. I remember that two women came in as the film was starting and making a fuss about which seats they were going to sit in.   Just my luck that they chose seats in the row behind me, lol. Then....they started opening cartons of Chinese take-away food….noisily! 

For me, the film had the feel and look of a tv movie, but that’s not a criticism as such. Interesting that James Gray has been filming in TV recently, although from what he says it wasn’t a good experience for him.

I’m intrigued by the cigarette lighter in the film. Bobby has it (it’s wired) when he goes to the cocaine factory. Years ago there was a Joaquin fan forum called ‘Dear Joaquin’. I wasn’t a member (I was a member of another forum at that time) but it was open to view by non members, like this one is, and I used to go and read the posts there sometimes. When WOTN was being filmed, the owner of DJ went to New York and managed to meet Joaquin on the set. She presented him with a cigarette lighter as a gift for his birthday   - the DJ forum had clubbed together to buy it and it looked very similar to the one in  WOTN. I’ve always wondered if it was just a coincidence or if the DJ cigarette lighter is the one which is in the film.

If there are any former members of DJ who are reading this, can you shed any light on this matter? Is that the DJ cigarette lighter? 

I always imagine Joaquin has disposable lighters. I imagine he loses or misplaces them quite easily somehow. 
Offline Ex-Fedupandstressed  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 12:47:36 PM(UTC)
Ex-Fedupandstressed

Woman

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have been trying to find it for free as my economy is not high lately...but didnt find...i want to watch it too
Offline joy  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 2:44:10 PM(UTC)
joy

You know the scene in WOTN where Eva Mendes is walking towards the camera in the red basque

Always reminds me of this..

From the film 'Mars Attacks'. 

Offline joy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:20:23 AM(UTC)
joy

In anticipation of Joaquin being in Cannes this year I thought I'd post some pics of the time he was there for WOTN

Remember when Joaquin clowned his way down the red carpet with Eva? I think he got told off afterwards, but he was super adorable. 

Aww, I miss those scruffy boots. 

Offline Mystaria  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:45:10 AM(UTC)
Mystaria

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 516 time(s) in 451 post(s)
I miss them too. he traded them for converse;) lol i think!:) hope not tho. wonder what happened to the scruffy boots myself!!
Offline joy  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:48:10 AM(UTC)
joy

They probably just got so old and worn out they were unwearable in the end. Never know though, he might surprise us one day and give them an outing again. 
Offline Mystaria  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:55:25 AM(UTC)
Mystaria

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 516 time(s) in 451 post(s)
I hope so Joy would be sweet to see new ones.:) xoxo