JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:58:57 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

In what refers to Joaquin Phoenix movies I really enjoyed Two Lovers film score. Specially the opera moment. It surprised me so much and it was so appropriate. Every time I listen to this music I remember that amazing scene.

The sadness of a man whose bold dreams were broken into pieces..

How could he ever wake up and be happy again?

"Sola Perduta Abandonatta"

This topic of love and death remind of this poem:

Inside this new love, die. Rumi

Inside this new love, die.
Your way begins on the other side.
Become the sky.
Take an axe to the prison wall.
Escape.
Walk out like someone
suddenly born into color.
Do it now.
You're covered with thick cloud.
Slide out the side. Die,
and be quiet. Quietness is the surest sign
that you have died.
Your old life was a frantic running
from silence.

The speechless full moon
comes out now.

Edited by user Friday, March 30, 2012 3:16:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline sami  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:25:51 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Look what I just found :)
Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:45:27 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Oh , nice.. from It's All About Love
Offline sami  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:50:59 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

John Greenwood, The Master. What is going on in the music?
There is a double bass banging on the strings and it's out of tune. There is a violing playing glissando bending the notes, playing odd rhythms. The steady beat is set up by the DB and the percussion rhythms are displaced, I think the high pitch instrument ( maybe wood blocks) are playing up beats of 16th note. Later on something that sounds like tom toms played with a soft mallet come in and play a composite rhythm. The overall resultis that the music seems off. There is something off (instruments out of tune, rhythms displaced) and it mirrors the psyche of the main character. Something is off with him. He is tense too as he is being interrogated. He pretends that everything is okay as he's being questioned but you can tell something is off with him. The soundtrack has the same effect.

I read an article from the LA Times that said that the music is atonal but it's not.
From wikipedia:

"..Atonality, in this sense, usually describes compositions written from about 1908 to the present day where a hierarchy of pitches focusing on a single, central tone is not used, .."

If you listen to Greenwood's music it is actually based on a single central tone. It is played by the double bass, almost obsessively and it repeats over and over until the end. As I said the music seems off because it is out of tune, not because it is atonal.

PS. This is what the article said:

http://latimesblogs.lati...mas-anderson-cannes.html

... Neither Adams nor Hoffman appear in the trailer, just Phoenix, whose character is undergoing some kind of questioning by a man in a military-looking outfit. It's a tense, unsettling scene, made more so by the ominous atonal music and washed-out palette.

Edited by user Friday, May 25, 2012 11:56:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:54:29 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Tonight I watched the movie Drive. When this music played it felt so good in the movie. the voice effect is just the way it should be.

http://www.newyorker.com...riginal-score-drive.html

Dark is back.. yes! can't wait for dear Joaquin's upcoming movies!

Edited by user Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:31:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 8:19:38 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Sami, everyone knows that the best movie sound track is John Carpenter's "Assault on Precinct 13"... best ever! Cool

This is my favorite from the soundtrack:

and the main theme:
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:00:29 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
Sami, everyone knows that the best movie sound track is John Carpenter's "Assault on Precinct 13"... best ever! Cool

This is my favorite from the soundtrack:

and the main theme:

I haven't seen this movie! The soundtrack is interesting ! Is it from the 70ies?
Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:18:05 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I have been thinking which is the best soundtrack I can remember and I picked one from a TV show, Perry Mason! I know it's old fashioned but what can I do ? I like it!

Offline sami  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 3:34:59 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I just made a friend listen to the PM theme, I thought she would be excited like me about it. I even played it to wake up in the morning today.. Her reaction was: oh come on, stop it! :-s
Offline admin  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:44:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
I haven't seen this movie! The soundtrack is interesting ! Is it from the 70ies?

Yes, Sami, "Assault on Precinct 13" is a movie from the 70's. It's the famous director, John Carpenter's first movie. If you didn't know, he, as well as being a great director, also wrote a lot of the music for his films:

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

They remade "Assault on Precinct 13" a few years ago:

Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)

... but it's no where near as good as the original. I wish they'd stop remaking good movies Cursing
Offline sami  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:05:11 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Yes, I hate the remakes too. As if there weren't new things to try or to talk about... They just try to cash in on old "formulas" that's what it i$ Huh

Thanks for the heads up about Carpenter. I will check him out and this movie too !! I am acquiring an "education" about films. There's so much to explore ! BigGrin
Offline sami  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 1:46:20 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

" While we knew that Nonesuch was taking pre-orders for the soundtrack, to be released September 11th, what got lost in the shuffle was that the pre-order “would include an instant download of Greenwood’s ‘Application 45 Version 1’ from the album.” Stereogum has a stream of the track -- which we’ve included below for convenience -- and it’s every bit as twitchy and haunting as the previous trailers and clips have suggested. "
http://blogs.indiewire.c...sons-the-master-20120817
This music speaks to me.
Offline admin  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 9:19:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

I'm not sure what i think about that piece of music from The Master, Sami. But i can definitely hear some similarities in style between it and Radiohead's latest songs. It was probably beneficial to his music that Jonny Greenwood studied psychology at University.
Offline joy  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:31:42 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about The Master music either. On the one hand it's absorbing and emotive, but on the other hand it's crescendo is disturbing and painful. It certainly created a mood for me. A few moods actually. Brought to mind the music from Hitchcock and the old Hollywood noir films, where the music was just as integral to the film for creating an atmosphere as the plot, dialogue, cinematography or acting.

A few words which come to my mind about the music, but in no particular order: melancholia, sanctuary, hypnosis, discord, release, suspense, danger, discord, psychosis.
Offline sami  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:40:38 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I think if your idea of music is something that needs to please you and make you feel better you won't like this music. If you try to listen to it with an open mind you will hear a story , a reflection of life experience rather than a frozen feeling. It is like one of Joaquib's movies . He never acts in feel good movies, he always chooses movies that talk about real experiences that broaden the scope of human nature. Do you know what I mean? Take for example the music of post WWII . While jazz and show tubes wre expressing a happiness maybe manufactured .. Serious conposers were refusing to write happy music because they didn't want to he hypocritical .. How can we write happy music after so much death and destruction ? People don't like that kind of music because , including me, because we don't like to admit there are these other dark things going on.. Yet if we listen we will hear so much pain and desperation. The world is crying !
Offline joy  
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:41:15 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I was going to get back to you on what you wrote, Sami, because I thought it was interesting but required some thought (on my part) before responding. Also, I thought this subject could be picked up later when we were not pre-occupied with discussing The Master in Venice. I copied your text so I could think about it....I could post it again as a quote if you want to pick this topic up at a later date?
Offline sami  
#17 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:31:26 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

There it is Joy. I am sorry I deleted it.
Offline joy  
#18 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:51:25 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Thank you Sami for writing this; it really gave me a lot of food for thought and far more thoughts than can be condensed into a couple of paragraphs.

I get what you’re saying about the score telling a story, Sami: I think this is what I was hearing when I first listened to it, though I don’t really know what the story is. The word ‘love’ came to my mind at the time too, though I don’t think the score is a reflection of a conventional hearts and roses love. Music is such a personal thing, isn’t it? What one person finds happiness in another finds earache. This music is the score for a film though so in context ie: listened to with the film, will most likely be a different experience for me to listening to it on its own.

sami wrote:
He never acts in feel good movies, he always chooses movies that talk about real experiences that broaden the scope of human nature.

Joaquin's films, especially in recent years, do tend towards this, I agree. I don’t think Joaquin wants to get any messages across with his choice of films (except perhaps with ISH) but he chooses characters which allow him to explore these things. I think ultimately Joaquin is interested in what he can get out of it.

sami wrote:
While jazz and show tubes wre expressing a happiness maybe manufactured .. Serious conposers were refusing to write happy music because they didn't want to he hypocritical .. How can we write happy music after so much death and destruction ? People don't like that kind of music because , including me, because we don't like to admit there are these other dark things going on..

I am curious that you say serious composers didn’t want to be hypocritical so didn’t write happy music after the war. Are you saying that happier music produced at that time was hypocritical? I think I would tend to the idea that popular music after WWII came from a sense of relief that it was all over, that people could get on with re-building their lives and maybe even a sense of celebration that the war had been won. This music was maybe catching a mood of the time? Not sure that jazz and show tunes were the popular music in post-war Britain but I don’t think it was all doom and gloom either.

Maybe the jazz and show tunes after the war were manufactured to a degree – although not entirely because people have always made music and what comes after is surely influenced by or a progression of what has gone before? – and maybe also for good purposes because otherwise people would have fallen into deep depression because of their experiences and what the war brought. Kind of like a psychological ploy to lift everyone out of the horror and onward to better times. A novel I’m reading at the moment has this line in it: “I tried to persuade him to live from the depth of his wound rather than to pine away from the pain of it” which I think conveys what I’m trying to say.

The same kind of thing happened with the entertainers who entertained the troops during WWII I think. It was respite from what was happening and what they were facing; a re-connection to normal life; something to raise the spirits and keep them from cracking up. I’m not saying this is right or wrong; I’m just looking at it from a different angle. I haven’t studied music so these are just a few of my own thoughts but I’d be happy to hear your further comments from a musician’s perspective.

Anyway, I don’t know if you have ever heard of the ‘forces’ sweetheart’ (Dame) Vera Lynn, but since The Master is set in the war years and afterwards I thought I’d post one or two links to her famous tunes from that time. I wasn’t around during WWII or the post-war years but my grandparents have told me that these were the kind of songs they’d listen to amongst others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Drw4aZhdT8

http://www.youtube.com/w...R1tg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/w...s_QI&feature=related

Here’s a link to the playlist for The Master:

http://www.nonesuch.com/...ms/the-master-soundtrack

Here’s a link to a review of the music:

http://www.mtv.com/news/...k-johnny-greenwood.jhtml

Will you let us know your thoughts on PTA’s use of music in the film? I’d love to hear what you think of his choices and how they are used in context: if you are able to do this without revealing too much.

Offline joy  
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:08:57 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hi, Smile

I was listening to The Film Programme on Radio 4 this afternoon and they had a piece on the music for The Master. I was in two minds about listening because I haven't seen the film yet (soon....!) but I did kind of half listen because I don't know if the broadcast will still be available for me to listen to after I've seen the film. Anyway, here's the link to the broadcast if you'd like to listen. The section about The Master starts at 16.24 & ends at 22.51 if you just want to scroll through without listening to the whole programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nl9pc
Offline sami  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 6:00:48 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I've been busy listening to other things but next in my list is Jonny Greenwood's soundtrack .

If I'm correct that's the London Symphony Orchestra , playing

Edited by user Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:10:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified