JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zsuzui  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2010 1:45:44 AM(UTC)
Zsuzui

Groups: Registered

UserPostedImage

Joaquin Phoenix film not a hoax: Casey Affleck

Casey Affleck insists that his documentary about his Oscar-nominated brother-in-law's reinvention as a rap artist is a record of 'a very private internal implosion'

Joaquin Phoenix's apparent decision to quit acting for a rap career has long been written off by most as an amusing hoax. Yet Casey Affleck, Phoenix's brother-in-law and the director of a forthcoming documentary about the Oscar-nominated actor's first year in his new role, yesterday insisted once again that his film was 100% bona fide.

Affleck, who is married to Phoenix's sister Summer, told ABC News that he shot documentary I'm Still Here: The Lost Year of Joaquin Phoenix, "to explore what I thought would be an interesting period in his life".

He added: "He said he didn't want to act any more, he wanted to try doing music, and that, right there, says something's going to happen ... I had no idea what exactly was going to happen and all that would unfold."

"It ended up being more and more fascinating, more and more things happened that were both in the public spectacle and a very private internal implosion that I got to witness," said Affleck, who recently showed his film to studio executives, including Harvey Weinstein, in the hope of securing a buyer. "It made for this unbelievable, one-of-a-kind movie.

"I understand there were all these different reactions to what happened on the Letterman show," he added. "Millions of people saw on YouTube and wrote about it and talked about it all over the place but most of them were wrong. [Joaquin's motive] was nothing that anybody ever guessed."

(for the full article please see http://www.guardian.co.u...oenix-film-casey-affleck)
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline anna  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:40:23 PM(UTC)
anna

Blushing ok there is nothing wrong with joaqin sinin' doing something with music
i think its a nice idea Cool
but first joaquin has clean his act- shave his beard cut down on smoking
maybe find firends just look after his own heath
i know last time i see/hear of joaquin he almost had a break down on letterman talkshow in 2009
i have not hear any new news on what movies joaquin will be doing in 20010/2011Huh
BigGrin
http://www.youtube.com/w...JXeg&feature=related
its joaquin singing Blushing

Edited by user Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:15:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: add a music clip

Offline jane-public  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:56:18 AM(UTC)
jane-public

So I watched the documentary last night, I have been genuinely concerned for Joaquin's mental health and thought that supporting the doc would ultimately support his psych expenses. I searched this morning for an update on how you were doing, and see all the news that the doc is a fake.

So how do I get my $4.99 back from Pay Per View? There's enough crap going in the world, I don't appreciate someone I don't even know shitting on my genuine concern for his health. Obviously you wouldn't give me the same thought or concern.

Whether you were acting or not, or a little of both, that will be the last Joaquin Phoenix film that I pay for.

Bye is Good.
Offline Mauricio  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 4:14:38 PM(UTC)
Mauricio

In my opinion "I´m still here is the most amazing sacrifice someone has ever done for the sake of art! KUDOS mr. Phoenix! ...And even though you were indeed not serious about your rapping, I am more than willing to throw in some bucks to get those tracks in my iTunes library.

Thank you for daring !!!
Offline king diogenes sardonic  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:14:15 AM(UTC)
king diogenes sardonic

I think J should 86 the rap career and focus instead on REAL music....like the American Songbook stuff (U know....Sinatra/Buble type songs). Not that I don't like rap...but if you wanna make money at it the standards appeal to a more.....ah....desirable?? (and lucrative) fanbase. I heard that he did his own singing in "Walk The Line" and I was mad impressed! He's a great "singer" (I don't consider rap singing...rather, talking in rhythm/beat to music). But if he does continue rapping I suggest he lose the sunglasses while onstage so he can remain on his feet....(hahaha). That fall he took looked raaaather nasty. Here's an idea...hire some guy to re-arrange Ric Ocasek's "Emotions in Motion" for him to cover (slower...orchestrated) as nobody has covered that (Buble must have a full time staff figuring out what songs he can rip off this week....). that's all i have 2 say about that (forrest gump impression...haha.) outy.
Offline Mystaria  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:21:47 AM(UTC)
Mystaria

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 516 time(s) in 451 post(s)
I like the rap music, wish he'd put out some songs from the documentary, would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet:)
Offline sami  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:45:11 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups: Guests

I like the song "I'm Still Here" I looked for the lyrics online but haven't found them. I can't understand everything he says .. do you think you could help me transcribe the lyrics? I like the beat of the song too . He could have actually sung it much better than he did (intentionally, lol )
Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:05:37 PM(UTC)
sami

Oh, nevermind about the lyrics I got this far and the rest is so blurred,

I'm still here, I don't guess , I don't fear even feel fucking fear
I never crack never, I don't give never, ----
I'm still real, I won't kneel, bless this god my team know how I feel
I never sold I never fucking sold never
I live forever in the ----
I heard the call, nobody ---
Feeling guilty because ---

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Offline Mystaria  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:22:04 AM(UTC)
Mystaria

Woman
United States

I can try, but I think you got it;)
Offline sami  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 12:32:20 PM(UTC)
sami

It's too difficult.. sometimes he just mumbles through it.. LOL
Offline Mystaria  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:19:38 AM(UTC)
Mystaria

Woman
United States

I know, that's one of the reasons, why I wish he'd put an album out:)
Offline sami  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:22:12 AM(UTC)
sami

I think he didn't take it seriously enough to put out an album. I think the songs were composed to portray his character. He didn't really mean the things that he said. I think he wouldn't want this music to represent him for real and perhaps he doesn't want to confuse people more than he already did, lol... He was being unprofessional on purpose, like forgetting lyrics and stuff.. it's really funny when you think about it :)
Offline M100iracle  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:59:04 AM(UTC)
M100iracle

Let me start by saying, I am new to this forum. I have never taken an active interest in celebrities or celebrity hype. I don't follow the media; I barely keep track of current events. I am a writer and artist, recently doing a literary piece of the art of controversy in the visual and performing arts. I happen to be researching artists from many genres and centuries when I stumbled upon the movie "I'm Still Here" documentary/"mockumentary"(?) After viewing the film, I was really fascinated and confused (for a lack of better adjectives!)

Charlie Sheen publicly goes off his rocker and decided to take up doing stand up-- society immediately assumes he's high and needs to go back to rehab. An Oscar nominated actor such as Joaquin decides to retire and take up a music career--society dismisses his choice as a hoax. Hoax or no hoax, Joaquin managed to play the greatest role of his life; there isn't a solitary individual who can dispute that. Audiences were either compelled to find empathy for his struggle or they were overly preoccupied with the preconceived notion that people of success in the film industry, don't transit beyond their spot light comfort zone. Obviously there is a lot human beings haven't learned from the art of controversy.

In Robert Ebert's journal (Chicago Sun Time, September 22, 2010) Casey Affleck was quoted as saying:

"I wish people hadn't debated so much the films veracity or authenticity, hadn't asked only and dully, "Is this real?" But that response is better than apathy, I suppose. Picasso said, "Art is the lie that tells the truth." Affleck went on to admit that many celebrities were aware of what was going on with the film; that the drug use and hookers were staged. However, David Letterman was not aware of it. <http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/09/casey_affleck_levels_about_im.html>

I think there is a lot to be said about the sociology of mankind and less to be said about Joaquin Phoenix's rapping ability.

On a side note, I think Joaquin is a highly versatile actor and his music isn't lacking in passion. Is rap/hip hop the right genre for him though? If he had some kind of Death Cab For Cutie meets Jeff Buckley style lyrics, I would be more apt to buy an album. God Bless Joaquin, keep it real and do your thing man.
Offline sami  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:15:03 PM(UTC)
sami

Hi and welcome tot he forum M100iracle ! I became a Joaquin fan because I saw the Letterman interview on youtube and I was also fascinated by the fact that someone was doing something that wasn't "expected" .. I saw the film afterwards and I was very confused for a long time and I still am . It just made me think a lot about how we perceive celebrities. It was a huge deconstruction of the whole thing for me.. I think they probably expected bigger reaction coming from the media but most people weren't sure whether to believe Joaquin;s career change was real and so it didn't quite work out the way it could have.. my opinion.
Offline Mystaria  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:07:22 AM(UTC)
Mystaria

Woman
United States

sami wrote:
I think he didn't take it seriously enough to put out an album. I think the songs were composed to portray his character. He didn't really mean the things that he said. I think he wouldn't want this music to represent him for real and perhaps he doesn't want to confuse people more than he already did, lol... He was being unprofessional on purpose, like forgetting lyrics and stuff.. it's really funny when you think about it :)

i agree Sami, you are right, that's probably it..

and Welcome aboard M100iracle hope you enjoy it here.