JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:28:45 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

This weekend I watched Bonnie and Clyde... It's a good movie and I liked it.
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline sami  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 12:22:13 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Wasteland. You must see this documentary !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNlwh8vT2NU

The film is better than the trailer shows.
Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:25:05 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Punch Drunk Love by PTA it's on Netflix loved it
Offline sami  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2012 5:23:00 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Yesterday I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... I enjoyed watching it but I wasn't sure what was the point.. The day before I watched an Italian movie called I Am Love because I was interested in the soundtrack but the movie was horrible. I didn't like it. I even skipped forward the sex scenes to finish the movie faster !!
Offline sami  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 2:00:52 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Good movie i saw recently: True Grit by the Cohen brothers. I also started watching a Spike Jonze movie since Joaquin is filming with him and I hear good comments.. Following Joaquin is a great way to know about good stuff out there Wink
Offline sami  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:35:19 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Yesterday I watched W.E. It's a film by Madonna. I actually liked it a lot. I guess it's a film by women for women Laugh If you like romance you will enjoy it. I did !
Offline joy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:45:26 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
OK, I'll keep an eye open for that one. Cool

Last night I watched 'Gosford Park' on the tv. It's a brilliant film with oodles of details and insights into life and work at a stately home in the 1920s (or is it the 30s?). Oh, and someone gets murdered too but there's a twist. Sounds boring, but it's not.

I bought a second-hand copy of 'Gilda' starring Rita Hayworth the other day so will be watching that as soon as I'm in the mood.

Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:15:07 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Cool ! I like vintage movies ! I will look it up .
Offline joy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:17:53 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I watched 'Fiddler on the Roof' last night on tv (I had an exciting weekend, as you've no doubt gathered. Huh Laugh) Haven't seen it for years and loved it all over again.

Followed that with a documentary about Klezmer - Jewish dance music. Very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klezmer

Offline admin  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:18:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Hi guys,

Looking through the films you've both mentioned, the only one i've seen is Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (great film BigGrin)... i may have seen fiddler on the roof also, but not quite sure (certainly would recognize the music though). Guess i'm not as much of a film buff as i thought!

I haven't seen many good films recently, the only one that stands out is:

Tyrannosaur

... it is directed by Paddy Considine, who was the star in another great film:

Dead Man's Shoes

Two great gritty British films, i'm sure you've seen them Joy? Not sure you have though Sami?

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:44:40 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hi Admin,

I'm afraid I haven't seen either of those films. Blushing I'm another recruit for the non-film-buff club. Blink I do like Olivia Coleman as an actress though. I think there's quite a good crop of 'home grown' actresses around atm: Maxine Peake, Anna Maxwell Martin, Anne Marie Duff to name a few.

Offline sami  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:16:22 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Fiddler on the Roof is a classic. I saw it as a kid and I still remember it very well. "Traditiooooon, Tradition. .... Tradition !" Nice music , nice story, good acting. Klezmer is nice :)

I had heard of Dead Man's Shoes but I never saw the trailer before and I didn't know it was a British movie but to tell you the truth I don't like this kind of movie very much. I can't tolerte violence. I think I'd be covering my eyes half of the time Crying but I did enjoy the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The trilogy, the Swedish version. It's super cool. Maybe cause it's a girl doing the damage , it's another perspective Razz

What are your fave genres?

I'm not a film buff either. I barely know the classics.. and I'm not one who will go and buy DVD's.. if it's not for rental , unless it's an exception, I won't buy it.. Something I mean to explore more are Warren Beatty's movies. He doesn't act anymore and he doesn't have a lot of output but he acted and directed some good films:

I recommend:
Splendor in the Grass by Elia Kazan (good director)
Bonnie and Clyde (inspired Tarantino to create his own style and a game changer in cinema)
Mc Cabe and Mrs Miller by Robert Altman (another type of Western, haven't seen it but want to)
Shampoo - funny comedy
Reds- haven't see it but want to
Dick Tracy
Bugsy

If you don't mind reading subtitles, there are some interesting films in Latin America, in Spain, in France... another director I want to check out is Hanecke , from Germany, very good in character study. He won the Cannes prize for best film in 2011 I think... he went back to the origins of nazism and studied how the "nazis" were raised as kids, how was the education system.

From Australia: Whale Rider , have you seen it?

I'm just giving you ideas of things that I've enjoyed. Do you guys have Netflix in the UK? It's quite a good way to explore movies. You pay $5/month (or $10, I forgot) and you can instant download as many movies as you want in your computer or TV. There aren't all the biggest ones, though.
Offline admin  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:26:01 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Sami,

I saw a great Spanish movie at the weekend, "El orfanato" (The Orphanage)... that's a good movie for the Halloween period... it's more physiological, rather than horror though:

IMDB: The Orphanage (2007)

Have you see it?

Offline sami  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:54:39 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi Admin,
Good to see you !
Yeah, I've seen The Orphanage and loved it. It's really good, isn't it? It's not scary but it has a lot of suspense . You may enjoy Pan's Labyrinth . It's scary mixing reality with fantasy ... I don't know if you 'be seen it. It's a Spanish movie too !

Offline joy  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 9:24:19 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I've seen both of those films. The Orphanage was good and the ending surprised me. Sad too. Pan's Labyrinth was an unusual film. I liked it. I've seen a few Pedro Almoldovar films too but not the last one with Antonio Banderas yet. I'll get around to it one day.
Offline admin  
#16 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 10:10:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Looks like you both beat me to seeing The Orphange... i'm clearly behind the game Blink

Yes Sami, i have seen Pan's Labyrinth, i like the visuals and imagination that went into that movie... although i wasn't 100% sure what was going on some of the time during that movie BigGrin

For Halloween, when it comes to mixing horror and fun, you can't beat a classic like The Lost Boys:

It was my favorite film when i was younger... and i've been to Santa Cruz (where they filmed a lot of it) in recent years, and it hasn't changed much at all! Great place! Cool

Let's not talk about The Lost Boys sequels they recently made though Cursing

Offline sami  
#17 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 12:05:52 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

The lost boys seems scary . I haven't watch it.
Pan's Labyrinth is a bit confusing. Some say the girl had schizophrenia and she was imagining everything , that's why it doesn't make sense.
I haven watched Almodovar's latest bec I read bad reviews .. A friend that saw it told me its actually a good movie if you get what it is about!
Here's another good Spanish movie I watched recently:
Offline joy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:17:09 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hello Admin & Sami, Smile

I haven't seen 'Lost Boys' but I watched the trailer and ...... Scared. Not that I'm worried about vampires or anything because I have garlic at the windows and doors of my house. Laugh Wink

I don't recall reading any bad reviews of 'The Skin I Live In'. It had limited release here and I didn't get to see it at the cinema. Hopefully it'll be shown on tv some time. I've seen 'Motorcycle Diaries': does that count as a Spanish film? Shows a side to Che Guevara not usually considered.

Halloween is a special day in my own personal yearly calendar. It's linked with childhood memories and some family traditions I like to keep alive. I wouldn't usually watch a horror film, but if I had to choose one I'd opt for this classic:BigGrin

Two scenes from the film:

Offline sami  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:26:44 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I hope you guys have a terrorific, I mean terrific, day tomorrow Laugh

UserPostedImage

That's very funny Joy ! Thanks for recommending it !

The Motorcycle Diaries had a big impact on me. I remember it very well. I think it's from Argentina.BigGrin

Edited by moderator Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:19:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:40:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Happy Halloween to you both to! (and anyone else reading).

Can't believe i've found the only two people on the planet that haven't seen "The Lost Boys" Flapper Amazing! BigGrin You shouldn't definitely see it if you have chance, the best film of the 80s! Iconic.

Joy, my favorite is "Carry On at Your Convenience"... unfortunately, there are only a few of the Carry On crew still alive... Jim Dale being the most famous.

Some one has uploaded the entire "Carry on at Your Convenience" film here!!

I think the chances of Joaquin ever seeing a Carry On film are a big fat 0%... but, based on the humor in I'm Still Here, i think he'd like them.