JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline admin  
#161 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 7:51:04 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Regarding Joaquin's "relationship" with the press and attending these junkets... he seemed to make it quite clear what he thinks of the whole "celebrity culture", isn't that the whole reason he did "I'm still here", to show how he personally finds it absurd and surreal? Blink
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#162 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:25:20 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Thanks for posting these, Sami. You might not believe but this is the first time I've ever heard River speak (apart from in a film) and I'm fascinated by the....I'm not sure what word I'm looking for here...shield....armour....protection....he employs throughout this interview. The dark glasses and covering his mouth with his hand. It's a clear recording though so I could make out what he was saying even though he seemed to slur some of his words at times...

DDL on Parkinson...haven't seen that before. Interesting. Do you know of Michael Parkinson? I wonder if Joaquin would have been open to his style of interview?

Will watch both again later.

Hi Admin,

Yes, I think that's part of the reason he did 'I'm Still Here'. Unfortunately for him the junkets go with the territory...and here we are too..joining in with it all in our own way. I watched a video of Joaquin on the red carpet and his publicist was there with him, manoevering him, directing him; look this way Joaquin, over here now Joaquin, do this Joaquin. It was like looking at a performing animal and its trainer. Sorry if that sounds harsh or is out of order, and I believe Joaquin has a good relationship with his publicist, but that's what it looked like to me. There are times I feel bad about being a fan. Sad
Offline admin  
#163 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:45:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yes, thanks Sami, i also enjoyed that Daniel Day Lewis interview (BTW: Hasn't Parkinson retired now?).

Would be great to see Joaquin Phoenix and Daniel Day Lewis in a movie together, i think they would compliment each other very well, they seem to have similar acting styles.

Joy,

Yes, it does seem like Joaquin is very uncomfortable at these junket/meet the press events, maybe he prefers being directed around? Seems nervous and on edge, I wonder how many cigarettes he gets through in a day? Let's start a competition to find a photo of Joaquin where he doesn't have a cigarette at hand! Flapper

Edited by user Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:55:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#164 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:04:30 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Guys , I lost track !!! I don't even know what I'm responding to !!Crying I'm sorry there is just too much to comment on. I will go back to it little by little.

Let's see how things unfold ! That's all I can say.. Joaquin will have to come up with a better way to deal with the press or not! If he goes through the oscars there will be so many interviews and photos he will need to put up thick skin!

About the girl Crying , well, why did it have to be a model? Guys... This makes me sad. The superficial world of beauty land depresses me. I am beautiful but never relied on it. You know why? Because beauty fades.. I wanna still be somebody when I get old.Men don't value that though.. It's just depressing.
One day I hope a real man will discover me. Now I know it's not gonna be someone like Joaquin. I know where I don't need to be. Thanks Joaquin you made me a favor xx. I'm still your friend Laugh

Ok, I'm back! Sorry, I just needed to let it out !!

As I said, let's see what happens !! Let's have a little faith ..

Admin, nice to have you back !!

Edited by user Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:44:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#165 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 1:18:32 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
[size=6]
You asked if the actors are really respected or if they're really used (by the press) and I would say that in the circumstances surrounding a press conference for a film - like the one Joaquin and the others attended in Venice - the press/media expect a bit of give and take. They are there doing a job and they likely see the actors/directors being there to do a job too ie: discuss the film. Whether the journos are any good at their job is by the by really. They probably have an angle for writing their article and pose their questions with that angle in mind. I don't really know for sure. It's all a game in the end and these press conferences are part of the game. Joaquin's 'problem' is that he doesn't like participating in the game. That's how it (partly) seems to

These are all really good points Joy.

I think in terms of the movie experience it would be more logical to ave the press conferences and interviews after ppl have seen the movie. Another proof it 's all a huge PR Marketing campaign and perhaps the reason why Joaquin hates it so much !
Offline sami  
#166 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:10:33 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I will try to comment less about jp person because : 1- I don't know him and 2- what Joaquin does or doesn't do is none of my business.

It must be really hard being famous !! I would be paranoid thinking about people thinking about me and scrutinizing every single move !!

As a friend of mine told me once : it is what it is. There !

Edited by user Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:22:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#167 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:57:40 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:

Would be great to see Joaquin Phoenix and Daniel Day Lewis in a movie together, i think they would compliment each other very well, they seem to have similar acting styles

I saw In the Name of the Father this past weekend. I loved it ! I need to watch My Left Foot next! I think PTA said something like Daniel and Joaquin are very similar in that they are both incapable of faking it. They need to become the character. It really comes across this way :-)

I personally love the nuances of Joaquin's characters !

Do you think they're compatible ? I have a hard time picturing them together !Confused
Offline joy  
#168 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:52:50 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

admin wrote:
(BTW: Hasn't Parkinson retired now?).

I wonder how many cigarettes he gets through in a day? Let's start a competition to find a photo of Joaquin where he doesn't have a cigarette at hand! Flapper

Yes, Parkinson has retired. Wonder if we'll ever see the likes of him on TV again? Probably not...the world has moved on...

He probably gets through a LOT! Probably doesn't smoke half of them; needs them as a prop?

sami wrote:
About the girl , well, why did it have to be a model? Guys... This makes me sad. The superficial world of beauty land depresses me.

Joaquin likes models. He seems to like skinny women. He lives in LA and moves in certain circles...he's bound to meet lots of models. Since we don't really know Joaquin, maybe he finds models relate to him on a personal level and they're interested in the things he's interested in and they speak the same language? I don't mean English...I mean being on the same wavelength. Just trying to be fair to both of them.

sami wrote:
I think in terms of the movie experience it would be more logical to ave the press conferences and interviews after ppl have seen the movie. Another proof it 's all a huge PR Marketing campaign and perhaps the reason why Joaquin hates it so much !

Sometimes the press have access to the film prior to the screening and The Master has been shown in America a number of times. Seeing the film first would be a good idea in terms of asking focused questions. It sure is all PR and marketing....all the preview screenings and trailers are part of it too. The buzz...making sure everyone is talking about it, noticing it, wondering, putting bums on seats, making money. I can imagine Joaquin doesn't like that aspect of the business but it is what it is. And because Joaquin appears to have problems with it all, whatever the reason, he gets booed and labelled and negative press: and that becomes part of the buzz too. Sad

sami wrote:
It must be really hard being famous !! I would be paranoid thinking about people thinking about me and scrutinizing every single move !!

I'm thinking about the film 'Notting Hill' and the scenes where William and Anna are speaking by the door just before she leaves after being door-stepped by the press and later when she says to William "The fame thing isn't real".

Both of those DDL films are very good. 'There Will Be Blood' got into my bloodstream for days afterwards.
I think Joaquin and DDL would need a very special director to film the two of them together.

Going trekking. BigGrin *waves*

Offline sami  
#169 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2012 3:13:08 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi Joy,

I am not a journalist. I can afford to express subjective opinion, right ? I am not influencing anyone just expressing my feelings !
If fame isn't real then famous people live in an irreal world... And we the fans , believe it !

Oh well, LOL

Sometimes I go to imbd to see what they say. I hope it's ok to copy and paste this comment that I really liked :

Libbiloo replied 21h ago
I watched it, and while I was laughing during the whole I'm Still Here process, I just felt like this press conference was something completely different. It looked like a panic attack. And then a moment ago I found this quote from Joaquin on a Norwegian site, from a brand newjunket interview. My Norwegian is not 100 % but it roughly says:

"I'm sorry if any you you felt offended, that wasn't the point. It's just that I get terribly anxious in front of big crowds, with all the cameras and lights in my face. I simple get physically ill. Have you ever seen wild animals who have strayed into a city, and they try to catch them? That's how I feel in "big" situations, everything just gets tied into knots and the adrenaline level skyrockets. I didn't quite register the question I got, and got really (...?)... So I just left to go to the bathroom and have a cigarette. That was all. Let me assure you: There's no point for me to be perceived as crazy!"

- But you can cope with interviews?

"It's completely different. With one or two people there is some sort of human contact, isn't there? That's the whole difference."

Link to the article in Norwegian (can't remember how to make them clickable): http://www.vg.no/film/artikkel.php?artid=10045414

I'm glad he decided to speak about it instead of just letting people just assume he is rude. But I get a bit pissed off at the whole Hollywood machine, who can't simply let the guy promote his movies in other ways than press conferences. I suppose it's not not the first time... :( 

Offline sami  
#170 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2012 5:43:54 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Sorry, I was being a jerk about the gf !! I am such a hypocritical pig ! Truth is I do the same.. Looks come firstLaugh
Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I am Latin. I get upset , make a big deal and after an hour or so I already forgot all about it .. Confused
Offline sami  
#171 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2012 6:10:07 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

It's also really good to talk to both of you about the issues that came up last weekend . Joaquin struggles make me see things differently . I have learned a lot over the past two days. The good thing is being able to separate what matters and what doesn't . The film industry moves billions of dollars and employs millions of people . It sells worldwide. I was reading an article about Joaquin from an article in a newsoaper in Pakistan ..There is a lot at stake . Well, I will close this topic now, I fear I'm repeating myself.
Offline sami  
#172 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2012 10:06:11 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

sami wrote:

If fame isn't real then famous people live in an irreal world... And we the fans , believe it !

That was an easy joke Joy. I know what you mean. The fame part of famous people , not themselves or their lives .. Although to certain extent their lives are atypical the basic things are the same !
Offline sami  
#173 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 5:36:03 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Sorry folks, I hope I didn't make you dizzy ! I have been fascinated by "why famous people are famous" since I was a kid and I really needed to break all the myths about it. I think I have succeeded now. Huh
Offline admin  
#174 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:42:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Sami,

I think celebrities are just this ages "Gods/Heroes", people throughout the ages seem to need to worship something. This seems to be the time of "celebrity worship", which i'm sure history will show, in time, to be rather absurd, especially given the lack of identifiable talent of some of these people, but it is what it is for now unfortunately. The absurdity of the situation is what Joaquin and Casey were highlighting in "I'm still here", it's good, from their perspective as the "worshipped", that they see it for what it is.

Also worth remembering the old adage "You should never meet your heroes", best to worship from a distance in most cases i feel Cool

Edited by user Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:58:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#175 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:16:02 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hi Sami,

I'm wondering if you mis-read my intention with my last post...I wasn't getting at you about anything. It's ok. *hugs*

Hi Admin,

Good points.

Just because...

UserPostedImage

Gott get my beauty sleep....real life. BigGrin Back in a couple of days.

Offline admin  
#176 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:35:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

A Star Swerves a Bit; He’s Fine With That - Joaquin Phoenix Bounces Back in ‘The Master’

"Mr. Phoenix, 37, is back here this year, and things are a bit more straightforward this time. He’s the star of the festival’s most eagerly anticipated movie, “The Master,” directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, and to judge from the response from critics and audiences here, a leading contender for its best actor prize, which can only bode well as awards season gets under way."
Offline sami  
#177 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:23:06 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
Sami,

I think celebrities are just this ages "Gods/Heroes", people throughout the ages seem to need to worship something. This seems to be the time of "celebrity worship", which i'm sure history will show, in time, to be rather absurd, especially given the lack of identifiable talent of some of these people, but it is what it is for now unfortunately. The absurdity of the situation is what Joaquin and Casey were highlighting in "I'm still here", it's good, from their perspective as the "worshipped", that they see it for what it is.

Also worth remembering the old adage "You should never meet your heroes", best to worship from a distance in most cases i feel Cool

Hi Admin,

Thanks for getting back to I'm Still Here. It's difficult when the person that you worship tells you that you shouldn't worship them. When I saw ISH I didn't completely get it because I still worshiped Joaquin. Even though I intellectually understood what he was doing, I didn't think he was really serious.. But now, I have seen the light Laugh The Hollywood people have been chosen as *the ones* and Joaquin is telling us: I'm just a regular dude !Cool

Years ago I read a Joaquin Bardem interview in a Spanish magazine- another actor I like,not as much as Joaquin- in which he said that in the movie Before the Night Falls - his major breakout - the night before the shooting of a scene with Johnny Depp he couldn't sleep. Johnny Depp for him was a god, and there was no way he could shoot the scene unless he could break the "spell". So he spent the night deconstructing Johnny Depp, bringing him back to the human level so that he could shoot that scene with him.

I always need to worship someone and I think for me it is because I grew up with older siblings. I always worshipped them but at the same time I wanted to compete with them, be like them, etc. So now that I'm an adult I always want to find someone who I feel is better than me because it gives me a motivation to improve. I'm very self driven. In this case Joaquin is a really good actor who manages to communicate things to me and this is something I value a lot. I also like that he doesn't do what you expect him to do and it makes you try to see things differently. He is like a puzzle that I enjoy putting together. Does that make sense to you?

Keeping a distance is the best medicine to avoid obsession. BigGrin Please remind me all the time !!

Edited by user Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:03:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#178 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:29:54 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
Hi Sami,

I'm wondering if you mis-read my intention with my last post...I wasn't getting at you about anything. It's ok. *hugs*

Hi Joy, I'm glad. Yes, I thought I might have offended you as I was mostly speaking my mind aloud BigGrin Thanks for letting me know. Writings can always be interpreted in many ways, and I wouldn't want to upset you !

joy wrote:

Gott get my beauty sleep....real life. BigGrin Back in a couple of days.

Sleep well my dear ! I will go to sleep soon too. I have a lot to do tomorrow. See you soon <3

I am afraid I am in love with PTA now..
Look at his beautiful eyes:

UserPostedImage

What can I do?

Edited by user Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:03:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#179 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:32:20 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
A Star Swerves a Bit; He’s Fine With That - Joaquin Phoenix Bounces Back in ‘The Master’

"Mr. Phoenix, 37, is back here this year, and things are a bit more straightforward this time. He’s the star of the festival’s most eagerly anticipated movie, “The Master,” directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, and to judge from the response from critics and audiences here, a leading contender for its best actor prize, which can only bode well as awards season gets under way."

GREAT !! Admin, I will read this tomorrow morning. Thanks for posting this link !!! I Can't wait to see the movie. It's so unfair. I feel like everybody has seen it but me Crying
Offline sami  
#180 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:52:12 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-09-05/film/paul-thomas-anderson-the-master-s-master/3/

here's a really good interview to PTA. There are some little spoilers but I extracted his own comments about Joaquin ..

In any case, he (Paul) seems happy that people—including us—are finally talking about something other than Scientology. "I've kind of loved these screenings we've had, because no one's talking about Scientology anymore once they see the film. They're just talking about how fucking good Joaquin Phoenix is."

And they're right. In his "comeback" role, four years after purportedly retiring from acting to pursue a career as a rapper (only to finally let the world in on his elaborate prank), Phoenix is nothing short of astonishing. It's a fiercely physical, animalistic performance that calls to mind the young Jack Nicholson—the one seen in Five Easy Pieces and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest—in its diabolical unpredictability, its paroxysms of emasculated rage.

"I knew he'd be good, but I can't say that I expected what we got," Anderson says between sips of white wine. "I love watching him, and I get the impression people don't understand that there's actually a truly inventive and disciplined actor there, which I guess is great. I would hate to say too much and uncover the mystery." Anderson had wanted to work with Phoenix for years, ever since he offered the actor a role in Boogie Nights, which he turned down (as he did a later offer to appear in There Will Be Blood). Then, when he began casting The Master, Phoenix had temporarily gone off the acting reservation. For a while, Jeremy Renner was attached to the role, until a series of lengthy production delays forced him to drop out and left Anderson once again searching for a leading man. By that point, Phoenix was back in the movie business and ready to get his game face on. 

----

OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod OhMyGod <---- omg, omg,omg,omg,omg !!!!

Edited by user Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:05:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified