JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#141 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:44:12 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

There's also a press conference. Paul Thomas Anderson says the film is a love story between the two main characters. Phillip says that they complement each other, one is wild the other is tamed. That part is funny! Joaquin doesn't say anything. I believe he thinks this type of talks are useless and would have people just watch the film.

Offline joy  
#142 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:11:52 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
sami wrote:
Joaquin in Venice
UserPostedImage
Yeah!Cool
Joaquin is amazing . I love the way he is !

ThumpUp Me too!

I can't get over how everyone at the photocall dressed casually and Joaquin turned up in smart trousers, a smart shirt, polished shoes and a tie! Love it! I'm sure the Italians were pleased with his sense of style. Bellissimo.BigGrin

Offline joy  
#143 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:35:32 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
It must be hard not to watch the trailers when they're just a click away ! In any case they don't reveal too much. My fave was the first one. You should watch that one first, you'll see ;-)

I did watch the first one when it came out but I can't help feeling a bit manipulated with all the others that have appeared since: and there's a new one again now too! (I'll post it tomorrow if you or Admin don't beat me to it.)

sami wrote:
About Letterman , I don't know if I'm allowed to insult him in here but I think he's an old fart !

Is he? The only time I watch his show is when Joaquin is on it or when there are Joaquin-related clips like the AA one. I can't watch his show on my television.

sami wrote:
I have a friend that works in a high end retail store. I asked how much does a good suit cost she told me about $1200, but the really expensive ones are taylored. They go up to $20.000. Now when I look at the pics I see a celeb dressed and put together I just think about the money they spent on it and it turns me off. Why do I always need to ask questions ? It completely spoiled it !

Bit of a random post, this. Confused $20,000 is approx. £12,600! That is way too much money for a suit! Some celebs live in a totally different world....that's probably pocket money to them. I might be wrong, but I doubt Joaquin's suit cost that much money. I think he's a bit more down to earth and bought his 'off the peg'.
Offline sami  
#144 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:51:43 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
sami wrote:
Joaquin in Venice
UserPostedImage
Yeah!Cool
Joaquin is amazing . I love the way he is !

ThumpUp Me too!

I can't get over how everyone at the photocall dressed casually and Joaquin turned up in smart trousers, a smart shirt, polished shoes and a tie! Love it! I'm sure the Italians were pleased with his sense of style. Bellissimo.BigGrin

Ditto!
E molto bello, mi piace anche cosi :)

He chose earth colors! Blue, green, brown .. I love it !

Offline sami  
#145 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:00:07 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
sami wrote:
It must be hard not to watch the trailers when they're just a click away ! In any case they don't reveal too much. My fave was the first one. You should watch that one first, you'll see ;-)

I did watch the first one when it came out but I can't help feeling a bit manipulated with all the others that have appeared since: and there's a new one again now too! (I'll post it tomorrow if you or Admin don't beat me to it.)

sami wrote:
About Letterman , I don't know if I'm allowed to insult him in here but I think he's an old fart !

Is he? The only time I watch his show is when Joaquin is on it or when there are Joaquin-related clips like the AA one. I can't watch his show on my television.

sami wrote:
I have a friend that works in a high end retail store. I asked how much does a good suit cost she told me about $1200, but the really expensive ones are taylored. They go up to $20.000. Now when I look at the pics I see a celeb dressed and put together I just think about the money they spent on it and it turns me off. Why do I always need to ask questions ? It completely spoiled it !

Bit of a random post, this. Confused $20,000 is approx. £12,600! That is way too much money for a suit! Some celebs live in a totally different world....that's probably pocket money to them. I might be wrong, but I doubt Joaquin's suit cost that much money. I think he's a bit more down to earth and bought his 'off the peg'.

I dont I need another trailer.. Please stop the trailers!!! We had enough teasing , we will come watch your movie, have no doubt about it !!

Letterman always askS the same silly questions. He is so lazy and predictable. I don't like how he treats women and young actors/ actresses . He is too condescending and if something doesn't fit his narrow frame box like mentality he will make fun of you !! I don't like him !!

Your probably right about the suit. I don't think Joaquin is like that..
Offline joy  
#146 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:35:44 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
E molto bello, mi piace anche cosi :)

Brava! (I'm assuming...)

sami wrote:
He chose earth colors! Blue, green, brown .. I love it !

So he did. BigGrin The colours suit him very well.

sami wrote:

I dont I need another trailer.. Please stop the trailers!!! We had enough teasing , we will come watch your movie, have no doubt about it !!

OK...I won't post the new trailer. Honest! Laugh Wink

Offline sami  
#147 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 9:55:20 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

"Brava! (I'm assuming...)"

You assume well . I thought it was obvious although I guess I could pass for a gay man too :)

"So he did. BigGrin The colours suit him very well."

Yes :)

"OK...I won't post the new trailer. Honest! Laugh Wink"

Well, u can post it if you want. It will not bothe me, I just had enough, I lost interest in the trailers ! ?

Offline sami  
#148 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:46:25 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Who else thinks the press conference was a bit lame ? Do they take it seriously at all? the sound was bad, you can't understand very well what Paul says, the 2 actresses didn't even fit into the screen, or even talk ... Joaquin didn't speak which I respect but Phillip rambled a bit too I don't know why Joaquin shouldn't have to speak . I would love to listen to his thoughts and ideas !
Offline sami  
#149 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:59:08 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I just noticed Phillip Seymour Hoffman even has stains in his shirt! You are right Joy, Joaquin is the only one who dressed well for the press conference. He is the only one with the shirt tucked under his pants. You would think he would be the one dressing sloppy of them all, but once again he is proof that things are not always what they seem ;)
Offline sami  
#150 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:00:25 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Not that I really care about these kinds of things but since I'm watching the pics , u know !
Offline sami  
#151 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:24:47 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Offline sami  
#152 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:32:42 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Oh wait , I just found the part when he speaks :

Some YouTube comments say that he doesn't like to share his process, some others say that he doesn't like the press because of what happened to his brother, some others say that he is teasing , but everyone agrees that no matter what he is great. He has earned the respect of the audience .

I would love to hear more of what he has to say but if what he has to say is silence , well I guess that's a statement too :)
Offline sami  
#153 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:22:57 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Joaquin could say : I don't answer questions. I'm just here because I'm polite ! Just watch the movie and figure these questions yourself !! Then you come and tell me . I won't spoil it for you !!

Questions that journos can ask Joaquin:

- how would you describe the experience of shooting this movie?
- what is your favorite part of the filming process?
- how was it working with Paul? What about your costars?

And then light hearted ones that fans would like to know:

- what is your favorite food?
- do you like the beach?
- any hobbies ?

These are questions journos can ask and he can answer and that are interesting !

Edited by user Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:29:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#154 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:48:23 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

On thing I 've learned about Joaquin during the time I have been following is that whenever you don't understand him you need to give him the benefit of the doubt and later you will understand. It always happens. For example, I have been thinking why Joaquin doesn't like to answer questions about process for the past hour more or less .. The stupid question journos ask and maybe what makes joaquin mad shows how little effort they have invested in understanding acting, and how much time they have invested to find a smart question to ask . If they think you can be a good actor applying logic and reason ... Well, what ind should answer to that? Obviously you can read the acting manual and be a terrible actor, the things that make a good actor go through another part of the brain , it's even non verbal. How can you put that into words? They are asking him to betray himself to please them when It's clearly another type of intelligence . Go read multiple intelligences now! It was written 20 years ago , some are still catching up, geez!!

Edited by user Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:54:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#155 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 4:11:49 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

On the other hand Joaquin could try to be more compassionate and try to educate the journalists . Instead if being so defensive he could try and explain them in a gentle way as if he was teaching a child the reasons why he can't answer that question . There is a lot of ignorance true but he could do a lot of good for his profession . It is as if there was a big gap in between the press and the actors. They are supposed to put up a show and it clearly bothers Joaquin and others, I'm sure! They ate paid a lot, they are in the magazines, etc. but arectheyvreally respected or are they rather used ? I would love to hear your comments on this !
Offline joy  
#156 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:33:59 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

The video where Joaquin answers the journalist’s question makes very little audible sense to me: I just hear ‘mumble, mumble, crackle, mumble, crackle’. If you can let me know the question the journalist asked then I’ll be able to comment more on what I think of Joaquin’s answer and the press conference as a whole.

In general, Joaquin has spoken in the past about his reluctance to discuss the processes involved in his acting and the processes of filming. I remember reading something when he was promoting WOTN and a particular scene was mentioned – Joaquin and Eva were in the back seat of a car during a film chase and he mentioned that one of the film crew was crouching down in the back with them, out of shot, doing something to aid the filming of the scene (I forget what exactly now, but (bad) memory recalls that he was rocking the car to give the impression that it was bumping around at high speed). Joaquin’s point was (I think), why would the cinema-goer want to know how a scene was filmed? Wouldn’t it detract from the viewer being engaged in the story and characters, etc? If you knew that there was a guy in the back of the car rocking it when the scene was being filmed, you’d be thinking about that rather than being involved in the story and being entertained.

I think Joaquin feels the same way about his acting. It’s his job, as an actor, to ‘find’ the character and involve himself in the process of delivering the character to the audience, if you like, so that the final product is something which is believable, entertaining or whatever. Our ‘job’ as the audience, is to engage with the story and characters: if we knew everything of the processes involved we wouldn’t be watching the film, but rather, to some degree, analysing his acting style and methods. Our experience of the film would be, to a certain extent, dis-engaged. We’d be watching Joaquin Phoenix acting and I think Joaquin doesn’t want us to see that.

Having said this, Joaquin has also spoken about some of the processes he’s used in developing the characters he’s portrayed, so I’m also inclined to believe that Joaquin’s response to questions about these things depends on circumstances and the questioner.

Those are good fan questions. My guesses would be:
Any (vegan) food cooked or prepared for him by someone else.
Depends on what kind of beach you mean.
Photographing clouds.

I think the question on most fans’ minds atm is “Who’s that girl?” Not that it’s any of our business really, but if Joaquin turns up in Venice with a female companion, we’re interested… Reading around, many are saying she’s his girlfriend. Well, she might be, but should we automatically assume?

Offline sami  
#157 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:25:26 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi Joy,

Thanks for your post. I read, it makes sense. I agree that certain things can definitely spoil the movie, and actually if Joaquin told us what he's doing then we wouldn't be able to get into the character and the story, it would break the magic .. SoTrue ! Thanks for letting me Know about that interview! I still dont understand why he gets so upset with the press but it's okay. I won't sweat it .

I love your answers to Joaquin's questions . This is sweet of you. We could start a role playing game , ahahaha !!!!! (just being silly)I am the press and you are Joaquin !

I've seen the pictures with "the girl" .. Yeah I'm curious too but I don't expect any formal presentations! I read on the imbd board that some say she is Heather Christie. I never heard of her before !
Offline joy  
#158 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:20:40 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Can you tell me the question the journalist asked Joaquin at the press conference? You don't have to state it word for word; a precis will do. Really, I couldn't understand a word of it (the journalist's question) but I'd like to try and understand Joaquin's reaction better.

You asked if the actors are really respected or if they're really used (by the press) and I would say that in the circumstances surrounding a press conference for a film - like the one Joaquin and the others attended in Venice - the press/media expect a bit of give and take. They are there doing a job and they likely see the actors/directors being there to do a job too ie: discuss the film. Whether the journos are any good at their job is by the by really. They probably have an angle for writing their article and pose their questions with that angle in mind. I don't really know for sure. It's all a game in the end and these press conferences are part of the game. Joaquin's 'problem' is that he doesn't like participating in the game. That's how it (partly) seems to me, anyway.

I've never heard of HC either...not until she appeared with Joaquin. I don't know anyone. Laugh I have read that she was Anthony Kiedis' girlfriend for a few years (I could equally say that he was her boyfriend). I know from the past that Joaquin is good friends with AK....it all seems a bit incestuous to me. A bit 'rock & roll'. Of course, I don't know the story of Venice (and I also doubt we'll get a formal announcement unless it's "Joaquin Phoenix Weds!") but I was surprised and curious. BigGrin

Go for it. If you want to play a question & answer game to pass the time I'm up for it. I'll go and practice being Joaquin....BigGrin
Offline sami  
#159 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 6:33:26 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Oh shoot ! I was 30 m into writing a thoughtful reply and i lost it !! I will be back later Crying

Edited by user Sunday, September 2, 2012 6:47:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#160 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2012 6:58:43 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

N the meantime I hope it's appropriate to post this interview :

And this, since they're being compared lately ..