JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#21 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 8:13:08 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Jeez, it's so weird to see Joaquin's face next to Tom Cruise's , lokl probably the indiwire magazine is just gossiping and making it all up but it's a bit hilarious, you have to admit ! he he LOL

"With the Tom Cruise/Katie Homes divorce reportedly heading towards a settlement, thus denying the world the Scientology versus Holmes/Suri showdown the tabloid world has been dreaming of, it looks like Tom Cruise may have something else to occupy his mind in the coming months. It was back in May that reports first came out that the actor, who has seen Paul Thomas Anderson's it's-not-about-Scientology-but-it-kind-of-totally-is "The Master," had "issues" with it. And it seems the problems he has with his "Magnolia" collaborator's movie aren't going away.

The New York Daily News reports that, specifically, Cruise's major issue with the movie is the suggestion that L. Ron Hubbard made the whole thing up about Xenu and thetans. No, really. According to the paper, one scene in the film shows Philip Seymour Hoffman's Lancaster Dodd (who is modelled on Hubbard) ruminating on The Cause, the religion he has founded, only for another character to claim he's inventing it as he goes along. Here's how the paper describes the sequence:

According to our insider, one scene that didn’t sit well with Cruise takes place on a patio where Joaquin Phoenix, who plays Freddie Sutton, a troubled drifter who becomes Dodd’s right-hand disciple, watches Dodd pontificate about the religion he has created.

During the scene, the source says, another character close to the founder turns to Phoenix and says of Dodd, “You know he’s making it up as he goes along.”

Referring to the actual Church of Scientology, our source says, “Tom Cruise’s people are grumbling about this line — amongst others — but Anderson is not taking it out.”

And add that to the final scene of the second teaser of the film, where Freddie Sutton angrily exclaims, "I know you're trying to calm me down, but just say something that's true!" and it seems to indicate that Dodd is being established as an ambitious, if not entirely trustworthy individual.

Thus far The Church of Scientology has no comment on the movie as they haven't seen it, but it should be noted that according to famed defector Marty Rathburn, the religion's organizers are instructing members on how to crack down on "rumors" about them that are swirling around the TomKat divorce. And as the October 12th release date for "The Master" draws closer, and particularly as more details about the movie are revealed, we wonder how Scientology will react to the film officially, or otherwise. Guess we'll soon see."

Offline admin  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 8:44:14 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
All good publicity for the movie Sami! Wink

Im sure their will be a few more twist and turns in this saga before the movie gets released. Let's hope the movie that gets released is the one that Paul Thomas Anderson set out to make and doesn't suffer from interference from the big money interests.
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:24:40 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
All good publicity for the movie Sami! Wink

Im sure their will be a few more twist and turns in this saga before the movie gets released. Let's hope the movie that gets released is the one that Paul Thomas Anderson set out to make and doesn't suffer from interference from the big money interests.

I hope so admin. I trust that the director is strong enough to handle the pressure. If this movie shines a light in the scam that this sect is, it will do a lot of good to many people. Look at what it did to Tom Cruise. He is clearly a lost soul looking for answers and a meaning to his life. Sects take advantage of people when they are in their most vulnerable moments and some never manage to see the light , they become blind and deaf for the rest of their lives to the point that they prefer to destroy themselves rather than to admitting to the truth inside themselves. I was in a talk about spirituality once, a long time ago , I went out of curiosity. It was clear it was a scam after I heard what they were saying. During the questions and answers I heard some people very lost and what responses they were getting , i was so upset because they were told BS and they believed it. They were being manipulated. Some people just believe what they're told because they can't think for themselves. I think a true religion would empower individuals to discover themselves and to be who they without imposing any Moral values , otherwise it makes them slaves. I was raised catholic and it's gonna take met whole life to undo everything I learned. Some it's impossible already but it makes me upset I was lied to as a kid. Ive never been able to trust a religion again and I would never accept a moral authority over my own. Even recently , I joined a meditation group, I used to go a lot to the center and loved my teachers, but I grew uneasy on the fact that the "guru" said that it was better not to question his teaching because it would be a list of time and it would delay spiritual growth. Surely enough , every time I had a question hey would give me the same answer, always the same exact words, .. I think
Anybody who is so sure about they're philosophy is missing a point. This means they believe they are right and the others are wrong and if I learned anything in this country is that there isn't a single truth there are many. This is called freedom . Let's hope we don't loose it altogether .
Amen ;)

Edited by user Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:40:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:06:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yeah Sami... one way or another, throughout history, all religions seemed to have caused a hell of a lot of trouble. Maybe we'll all evolve and worship something else instead, hmm, the internet or celebrities maybe? Unsure
Offline sami  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:51:18 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
Yeah Sami... one way or another, throughout history, all religions seemed to have caused a hell of a lot of trouble. Maybe we'll all evolve and worship something else instead, hmm, the internet or celebrities maybe? Unsure

Lol that's a good one! I think we have evolved to Internet and celebrities already !! Just for the record I only worship celebrities because I like to fantasize about what I'd do if I had so much money!!
Offline admin  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:18:29 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

First official movie poster for The Master:

UserPostedImage
Offline sami  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:55:08 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Nice, but what is this?!

i tell you what I see:

I see a bottle of white wine that is under the water, perhaps there's a message in the bottle, and it is in the middle of the ocean or somewhere so that we are expected to get the message in the bottle and it expires Fall 2012 ..
Offline admin  
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:02:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

The Master - First Theatrical HD Trailer

What do you think of it?

Edited by user Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:32:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:25:20 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I watched 3 times already ! I love the music seems to lean towards free jazz, I love the visuals, the composition .. In fact I didn't listen to the dialogue until the 3rd time, I could just absorb visuals and sound the first 2 times, but I'm not sure If its because English is a second language for me.. Tell me if you went through the same please! The dialogues are very rich, you need to concentrate on what they are saying in order to follow. It's a movie that engages you in all of your senses.. This movie seems like a master piece, doesn't it? Is it too soon to tell ?
We now know that the movie is about a group of WWII veterans having problems reincorporating into civilian life, prolly with PTSD , are put into different programs and Jp seems to fall under a sort of guru influence but when he starts having doubts he starts having problems and he's being labelled as crazy. Its typical reaction of a cult .. Please let me know what you think too ! What to you think of Joaquin? He has transformed completely , don't you think?!
Offline sami  
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:53:25 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Actually there is one very funny moment, at least to me, I just had to laugh! This:

“I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist, a theoretical philosopher, but above all, I am a man. Just like you,”

I would go, oh really?!
LOL LOL LOL

I've met so many people like that I can see them coming from
miles distance !! This quote reveals what a sham this man is. I don't like him already !
Offline sami  
#31 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:58:12 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

And here's an interpretation of the poster:

http://www.firstshowing....tas-the-master-unveiled/

Would you like to try a sip of the vintage, 1950s The Master? The Huffington Post (via CinemaBlend) has debuted what is the first official teaser poster for Paul Thomas Anderson's (PTA's) new film The Master, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams. The interesting, and most mesmerizing, thing about this poster is that it appears to be a bottle of "The Master" wine, being submerged in wine, or something like that. That goes hand-in-hand with all the footage from the trailers of Freddie, the character Joaquin plays, being an alcoholic, who becomes a part of Lancaster Dodd's religious organization.

Thanks again to HuffPo for posting this thing in high res, which you can find by clicking below. Thoughts?
Offline sami  
#32 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 12:44:58 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi admin,

I just found an article written by a former scientologist that talks about whether the master is based on Scientology or not. Here's what he says:

http://www.thedailybeast...y-and-l-ron-hubbard.html

Cool
Offline admin  
#33 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 2:27:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

That's an interesting article Sami, thanks. Yes, many comparisons to Scientology, but let's hope the movie stands out on it's own without having to to be hyped by 'controversy'.

Also, i liked the first two teaser trailers, as they didn't give too much away about the film. Now that the full trailers are being released let's hope they don't end up giving the whole story away as a lot of films do these days, especially when it's 3 months yet until the film is released. We will probably get another 2 trailers at least, between now and then, i would have thought.
Offline sami  
#34 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 6:05:49 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

If the film is really based on Scientology it doesn't mean it is an attack on Scientology. Maybe they just use it as inspiration to touch the topic of cult or any closed belief system and struggle for identity and this is something very current me thinks... It will be a nice film ! If it makes people talk and discuss topics that are controversial I believe it is a good thing because it means it's talking about something real.. This is my perspective. I think that because there aren't any films like this nowadays it will be respected . And in Europe maybe even more! We'll see :) don't worry it will be great:)
Offline sami  
#35 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 10:26:06 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Please let me know if I understood well your concerns admin. I am
not sure , perhaps you meant that you don't like politics mixed with the film? is that what you meant ? do you think it's better to just focus on the film and the story it tells independently of exterior factors?
Offline admin  
#36 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 5:43:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

If i have any concerns at all about The Master film, it's that i hope it doesn't become a commercial success purely because people go to see it for the perceived 'Scientology connection'. Much in the same way that the movie Basic Instinct was commercial successful purely because of 'that Sharon Stone chair scene', even though the movie is terrible. It would be good if people made the film a commercial success just for it being a good story in it's own right.
Offline sami  
#37 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:16:43 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

You cannot control that... People reacts to stuff like that.. The tabloids will have a field trip with it because it gives them something to talk about. I know it's frustrating but its human nature, what can you do?i think the film will be strong enough so that people will talk about it for its quality , maybe it will be a mix. In any case I'm done speculating , let's just sit back and enjoy it when it comes out!
Offline sami  
#38 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:16:15 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Admin,
I was just reading some news...

when I saw this:

http://www.mtv.com/news/...es-shooting-legacy.jhtml

I think it is outrageous movie execs are using the massacre to promote the film. The way I see it, the right thing to do is to postpone the movie. Cancel it all together to show respect to the victims. instead they use the massacre to tell people that it's a reason to go more.. here we go again ThumbDown
Offline sami  
#39 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:24:15 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Now I'm really upset Mad

Offline admin  
#40 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:34:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yes Sami, without getting too much off topic, i guess it's akin to what George Bush said after 9/11 in terms of 'carrying on flying' to keep the tourism industry from collapsing: "Get on board. Do your business around the country. Fly and enjoy America's great destination spots. Get down to Disney World in Florida. Take your families and enjoy life, the way we want it to be enjoyed."