JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline admin  
#61 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:39:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Yes Sami, there has been a lot of talk about the 'special way' The Master has been shot, nice to see elegance and style of reality over CGI effects in movies.

What do you think the odds are of Joaquin winning an oscar for his role in the film? and if he did win, do you think it'll be for "best actor" or "best supporting actor"? It looks like Joaquin has got top billing for the film, so it should be "best actor" if anything.
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline admin  
#62 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:53:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Offline sami  
#63 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:16:30 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
Yes Sami, there has been a lot of talk about the 'special way' The Master has been shot, nice to see elegance and style of reality over CGI effects in movies.

What do you think the odds are of Joaquin winning an oscar for his role in the film? and if he did win, do you think it'll be for "best actor" or "best supporting actor"? It looks like Joaquin has got top billing for the film, so it should be "best actor" if anything.

I think he will definitely get an oscar nomination for best actor !! Get ready for the spolight Joaquin !!BigGrin

I don't know if he will win though.. What I've seen so far suggests so, but we need to watch the movie first, no? BigGrin

Joaquin is known to be media shy, I wonder how he will cope with so much spotlight! perhaps he's different now. I think after ISH he got over a lot of fears, he seems more "mature" now, at least towards the press. I really loved the second interview to Letterman because he was very serious and in his place. Very professional !

Edited by user Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:27:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#64 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:22:53 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Do you think he is wearing contact lenses? How did he get that kind of glassy light in his eyes?

http://thefilmstage.com/...ul_Thomas_Anderson09.jpg

What about this one?

http://thefilmstage.com/...l_Thomas_Anderson01.jpeg

This one makes me daydream !!Love

Ok, back to reality now, ouch!
Offline sami  
#65 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:44:36 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I hope didnt sound too patronizing!! Joaquin beats his own drum anyway! I beat mine too :)
Offline admin  
#66 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 2:56:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Offline sami  
#67 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 6:24:42 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Admin, thanks for the news. The reactions confirm what i was expecting. This film is mind blowing already ! Joaquin must be amazing in it. Whenever you watch any of his movies he makes you feel what the character is feeling but he does it in a way that you can relate, like oh yes I've done that too and this is why it moves you so much , it goes in, whoever the character is and becomes part of yourself for a while. That's amazing. He deserves an Oscar, that's the least he can win but his talent is bigger than any prize.
Offline admin  
#68 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:57:37 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

First semi-professional review of The Master film. Warning: contains spoilers.

Early Review: Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master' Is Visually Dazzling in 70mm, Enigmatic, Certain to Polarize

Edited by user Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:04:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#69 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 2:26:06 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
First semi-professional review of The Master film. Warning: contains spoilers.

Early Review: Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master' Is Visually Dazzling in 70mm, Enigmatic, Certain to Polarize

Have you read it admin? Can you tell me the juicy stuff without revealing the spoilers?
Offline admin  
#70 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:42:35 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Sami,

Here's the text from the article. I've removed the parts that i think may potentially give too much away.

On August 3 at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, moviegoers were treated to a surprise screening of Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" in stunning 70mm. Anderson and wife Maya Rudolph were both in attendance.

The screening was both public and secret -- "The Shining" screened to an almost packed house at 7:30 pm, with an announcement made as the ends credits rolled that any ticketholders were welcome to stay for an encore presentation of Anderson's Venice-selected film. Though 70mm prints have been tested at various theaters around the country for the past couple of weeks (the Aero being one of them), this was the first full screening of the film for an audience, a good month before it premieres in Italy. Reactions soon hit the blogosphere.

"The Master" stars Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman, both superb in the film. Twitchy and palpably disturbed, with one eye bulging larger than the other, Phoenix plays adrift seaman Freddie Quell, [SPOILER REMOVED] Freddie hops aboard a glittering wedding party boat, where he meets Lancaster Dodd (Hoffman), or "Master" as his waterbound acolytes call him, [SPOILER REMOVED]

Hoffman goes big with this role. His Master is intensely focused, almost cartoonishly charismatic and seductive. But as he brings Freddie into the fold of his teachings, [SPOILER REMOVED], Master proves to be a simmering powder-keg. When he snaps, it jolts you out of your seat. (This nicely matches Johnny Greenwood's percussive, anxiety-inducing score.) Freddie and Master have a symbiotic relationship, [SPOILER REMOVED]

Formally, "The Master" is gorgeous. 70mm is the way to see the film, if possible. Anderson nails the punchy colors of early 1950s America (a sequence in which Freddie snaps family photos of wholesome, scrubbed youngsters is particularly spot-on), but also the piercingly bright light of the ocean and waterside towns. A recurring shot of the electric blue water in a ship's wake, like the film's score, serves as a punctuation point after Freddie's emotional breakthroughs.

Stylistically and tonally, "The Master" is of a piece with "There Will Be Blood." The score, the editing rhythms and the simmering violence of the two central characters recalls Anderson's last feature and its monstrous Daniel Plainview. Where "The Master" differs from "Blood" is its narrative drive. Daniel Plainview has a relentless focus that steers the film down a clear-cut, tragic path. Freddie, however, is hazy and aimless, and this film largely takes its structural cues from those meandering characteristics. Many sequences are focused on [SPOILER REMOVED]

[SPOILER REMOVED]

http://blogs.indiewire.c...larize-gorgeous-in-70mm#
Offline sami  
#71 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 6:36:07 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thank you very much. I think I will enjoy a lot Hoffman's and Phoenix acting together. This is a new pleasure for me. I never really went to a movie to enjoy the acting and the characters before. I'm glad this movie is happening !!
Offline sami  
#72 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 3:31:04 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hey, so if the film premiere is Italy, does that mean there won't be a premiere in the United States?
Offline admin  
#73 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 8:36:29 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

New movie poster for The Master film

UserPostedImage

Note: Joaquin Phoenix seems to get top billing.
Offline sami  
#74 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 12:17:15 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
New movie poster for The Master film

UserPostedImage

Note: Joaquin Phoenix seems to get top billing.

You are a man of few words, or woman ? oh nevermind !

I like the poster.

post edit: oh my "little ego" didn't see the foot note
Yes, it seems he's got the leading role, although it's almost a tie with PSH.

Edited by user Monday, August 6, 2012 1:27:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#75 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 1:21:24 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Here's another beautiful still:

UserPostedImage

Joaquin Phoenix facial features fit the bill for that time period. It shows a lot of character <3
Offline admin  
#76 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:47:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yes, that's a great still there Sami.

Compared to "Im still here", it looks like Joaquin has aged in the last couple of years, i don't know whether this has been done on purpose for The Master file, but facially definitely looks more 'aged' (gaunt may be a better word). But like you said, it's a great look, and suits the 1950s.
Offline admin  
#77 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:50:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
Hey, so if the film premiere is Italy, does that mean there won't be a premiere in the United States?

Just confirmed for Venice at present, and soon to be confirmed for the "Toronto International Film Festival"

At least the running time has been confirmed:

‘The Master' Confirmed For Venice; Running Time Listed As 150 Minutes
Offline sami  
#78 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:30:23 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
Yes, that's a great still there Sami.

Compared to "Im still here", it looks like Joaquin has aged in the last couple of years, i don't know whether this has been done on purpose for The Master file, but facially definitely looks more 'aged' (gaunt may be a better word). But like you said, it's a great look, and suits the 1950s.

Yes, I noticed the gaunt look too. I think it is part of the characterization. I believe this movie was filmed about a year from now and in all the pictures taken after he doesn't look gaunt or older.

For example this pic from the Low life set,taken about 6 months after The Master was filmed. Besides the weight difference,notice how different his skin looks:

UserPostedImage

It's got to be fake wrinkles and lines to make him look older. Either this or he took an incredible skin treatment. There are many amazing things out there and not necessarily surgery or botox. My personal opinion is that they were trying to make him look older than his age. Another thing is that men usually get wrinkles later than women, so 37 would be too young for a man to get that many.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:37:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:37:08 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
sami wrote:

Just confirmed for Venice at present, and soon to be confirmed for the "Toronto International Film Festival"

At least the running time has been confirmed:

‘The Master' Confirmed For Venice; Running Time Listed As 150 Minutes

Great ! Well, I hope they do an official premiere in New York too ! If so I might go BigGrin
Offline admin  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:53:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
It's got to be fake wrinkles and lines to make him look older. Either this or he took an incredible skin treatment. There are many amazing things out there and not necessarily surgery or botox. My personal opinion is that they were trying to make him look older than his age. Another thing is that men usually get wrinkles later than women, so 37 would be too young for a man to get that many. [/size]

That's a great photo to show the comparison Sami, it does look like it's a combination of weight-loss for The Master and make-up to show an aged look.