JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline admin  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:46:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Joaquin Phoenix is drowning

PETA.org

Obviously not appreciated by everyone unfortunately...

http://www.starpulse.com...xs_peta_ad_banned_by_abc

Edited by user Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:51:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
annabelle on 7/25/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline joy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:00:25 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Powerful and to the point.

"Organizers wanted to achieve maximum impact by screening the advertisement during the TV broadcast of the Academy Awards ceremony later this month but claim bosses at the ABC network vetoed the move, insisting the film is too political to show."

What they mean is "the wrong kind of politics", I think. Glare Maybe they'd show it if Joaquin was wearing a designer dress in the video. RollEyes
Offline deanna_demola  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:04:31 AM(UTC)
deanna_demola

Groups: Registered
Woman

joy wrote:

"Organizers wanted to achieve maximum impact by screening the advertisement during the TV broadcast of the Academy Awards ceremony later this month but claim bosses at the ABC network vetoed the move, insisting the film is too political to show."

What they mean is "the wrong kind of politics", I think. Glare Maybe they'd show it if Joaquin was wearing a designer dress in the video. RollEyes

Really, what does that even mean? Why would they bring politics in this? It's just raising awareness that's all. People don't seem to understand anything anymore. People really distort things to be something they're not.
Offline joy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:14:18 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

It's ironic when we consider that 'Lincoln' is up for several awards at the Oscars and likely to win at least one (DDL). Maybe the fishing lobby are sponsoring the Oscars. Or they're serving a lot of fish dinners at some of the Oscar parties. The Oscars are heavily involved with the fashion industry - and we all know what that means....all manner of animal skins and products. Or ABC have links to the fishing industry - shares, sponsors, etc.
Offline kitten  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 12:02:07 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
joy wrote:

I love Joaquin so much more for this video , that he put himself out there, Love BigGrin

that what I love the most about Joaquin his support for animal rights, his acting is great, but for me it is his support for
animals that I love Love

Edited by user Friday, February 15, 2013 12:08:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 8:15:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

After seeing the documentary "Earthlings" that Joaquin narrated i've stopped eating most meats/animals. That was a few years ago now, not totally vegetarian, but getting there... just down to chicken every so often and fish rarely now.

If the documentary had that kind of affect on everyone that saw it then that leads to a huge impact collectively Cool

Full Earthlings documentary:

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Mystaria on 4/23/2015(UTC)
Offline joy  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 8:45:14 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I can't watch that documentary, Admin. I've seen enough footage over the years to know what goes on and tbh I imagine Earthlings would be just too gruesome for me. I've been a vegetarian for 30 years - eat no meat, fish or poultry, etc. I'm not vegan because I eat dairy: I tried, but cheese is my downfall - although I can see a time in the future when I'll give up dairy for good.

So far as I can see, this news about the PETA ad has been quite widely reported on the internet and Joaquin’s video is on quite a few websites. So, even though ABC network won’t show the ad, it’s possible that it’s still been seen by quite a lot of people. Maybe not as many as would have seen it if it had been broadcast during the Oscars, but maybe enough for it to make an impact.

Btw, ABC has broadcast rights for the Oscars and is owned by Disney.
Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:20:09 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I have a question for you guys. I'm beginning to consider becoming a vegan but what stops me is that a vegan image of me looks much softer and with much less energy. It's prob a wrong idea but I wanted to ask u : have u noticed a decrease in energy since u became vegans ? And also did it change your lifestyle a lot ?
Thank you !
Offline admin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:40:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
I have a question for you guys. I'm beginning to consider becoming a vegan but what stops me is that a vegan image of me looks much softer and with much less energy. It's prob a wrong idea but I wanted to ask u : have u noticed a decrease in energy since u became vegans ? And also did it change your lifestyle a lot ?
Thank you !

I play quite a bit of sport, and i can say that once i stopped eating "red-meat" (e.g. cow, pig, lamb, etc) that i noticed my health improved (mainly stamina)... haven't noticed any downsides and don't miss it at all, plenty of alternatives (mainly mushrooms!). BigGrin

Offline joy  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:03:30 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hi Sami,

I’m not a vegan because, put simply, I eat dairy products (and honey, incidentally). I don’t think my energy levels have decreased because of my diet. I was 30 years younger than I am now, so of course, I’m not a teenager anymore, but I’ve lived a full and active life and still do. I have enough energy to work long hours and be active in other areas of my life. I think my mental faculties are still ok. I also still have all my own teeth and hair. My finger and toenails haven’t fallen out and still grow. People tell me I look healthy. I rarely get colds or flu but on the occasions I have, I know my immune system is fully active and able to do all it needs to do to combat the viruses and bring resolution quickly. I’m not anaemic. Do I get tired? Sure! Is it because I don’t eat meat? No! I get tired for the same reasons we all get tired.

My lifestyle did change but I wouldn’t say it’s been a problem. More an evolution. How far do you want to take it? Just cutting animal products out of your diet? Or remove all animal products from your life too? No fur. No leather or other animal skins. Silk? Wool? Mohair? Feathers in pillows and duvets? Animal bristles in hair, nail and paint brushes? Many cosmetics, toiletries and perfumes contain animal products. Household cleaners. Medicines. Vaccines. Anaesthetics. Not to mention animal testing and experimentation for new cosmetics, medicines, etc. Animal products might be used in the production of alcohol. Garden compost and fertilisers can have animal blood, bone, hooves, beaks & horns in them. Some organic potting composts are composed with a majority of chicken manure – from battery chickens, no doubt. The list just goes on and on. How much it will change your lifestyle depends on you and what you want to do. At least you’re thinking about it, so that’s a start. ThumpUp
Offline sami  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 3:32:33 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Dear Admin and Joy, Thank you both for your advice . I'm thinking about it , yes . Your advice gives me an idea of where to take it from ! XX
Offline admin  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:43:50 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I wonder what Joaquin would think of this...

Can you be a vegan and smoke cigarettes?

I bet it would be hell for Joaquin to give up the smokes...? Blink It's as if he needs them to breathe! BigGrin
Offline joy  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:58:49 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

That's a good question, Admin. Maybe he smokes vegan cigarettes? No-one's perfect.....not even Joaquin. BigGrin

sami wrote:
Dear Admin and Joy, Thank you both for your advice . I'm thinking about it , yes . Your advice gives me an idea of where to take it from ! XX

Sami, if you're serious, I would recommend you take a look at the Vegan Society website to get some more info. If you go vegan rather than vegetarian ie: cut out all dairy from your diet too, you will need to supplement vitamin B12. The main source of this vitamin is animal - beef liver is the richest source I think, but it's also found in dairy too.

This is all I'm going to say about Vitamin B12 because there is actually quite a lot to say, and I don't want to write a novel here (for the moment anyway). Smile
Offline noraphoenix69  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:30:27 AM(UTC)
noraphoenix69

Woman

admin wrote:
I wonder what Joaquin would think of this...

Can you be a vegan and smoke cigarettes?

I bet it would be hell for Joaquin to give up the smokes...? Blink It's as if he needs them to breathe! BigGrin

I hope he won't use cigarettes that much!
I just said that because I want him to live more!
Offline Ex-Fedupandstressed  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:57:49 PM(UTC)
Ex-Fedupandstressed

Woman

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I think it is an interesting issue. I didn't know anthing about vegans until I knew a brazilian boy who is vegan and he explined it me. I really agree with the defence of animals rights, and here in Spain we have a great fight with it because of the Bulls... Here is called "Fiesta Nacional" (National Celebration), so I decided to belong to a group whose name is: This is not my National Celebration.
But Bulls aren't the only victims... because in my country there are a lot of celebrations where animals are tortured or used for being exploit; Brake in Horses to make them dance, using greyhound to hunt and then abandone them or kill them... in fact in my city there is an asociation to save greyhound because they are so much...
I think we have to be conciuos about all this and to defend animals right in general... But about the issue on being a vegan... I respect everyone chose but I think that we are animals too and we are made to be omnivorous... it means that we are in need of animals protein too.

I love my pet, he is a canary and to me he is a member of my family, I love birds and my balcony is always full of them, they come to my balcony because I put them water and bread... and it's very funny because they know when they have to come exactly to ask for the bread!

I have to admit that is sad to think about the way animals die to we can eat them... for example, the pig... in Spain we eat a lot of products of him. Everytime that I see a little pig I think: Poor! Because the way to kill a pig is really savage! Maybe a I could live without  eat pig but I'm pretty sure that I can't live without eating fish, in fact when I have passed long time without eat it, I have noticed that I was needing it vitamins... "Omega". I supose that if you don't use to eat fish so you don't need this vitamin...

But the great issue to me is the system of production, and not if we eat animals or not. The system of production affect clothes, and workers. Maybe we decide to be vegan and not consume products of animals (food and clothes) but you are wearing a t-shirt who someone sewed in Egypt or India by a poor salary or as slave...
So to me the goal is changing the system in general!
Offline admin  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 1:50:46 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Why Animals Love Joaquin

Written by PETA January 10, 2014

Offline sami  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:03:06 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

This video went viral last week, if you haven't watched it yet I recommend it. It's so incredible and beautiful to watch. 
The Lion Whisperer
Offline joy  
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:16:43 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

This brings to mind the story of Christian the lion. This clip shows John & Ace's reunion with Christian - very, very moving. 

It's incredible to think that wild animals were actually sold in shops (Harrods) back in the day but they were!

In 1969 a young Australian, John Rendall and his friend Ace Bourke, bought a small lion cub from Harrods pet department, which was then legal. 'Christian' was kept in the basement of a furniture shop on the Kings Road in Chelsea, the heart of the swinging sixties. Loved by all, the affectionate cub ate in a local restaurant, played in a nearby graveyard, but was growing fast... 

A chance encounter with Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna led to a new life for Christian. He came to live in a huge enclosure and to sleep in a caravan at their Surrey home. Then in 1971 he was flown to Kenya, his ancestral home, and returned to the wild by lion-man George Adamson. Nine months later in 1972, John and Ace returned to Kora in Kenya. This clip is of their reunion at that time.

It was an emotional reunion: "He ran towards us, threw himself onto us, knocked us over and hugged us, with his paws on our shoulders."

John Rendall

Christian's story. Directed by Bill Travers, commentary by Virgina McKenna, founders of the Born Free Foundation. 

See http://www.bornfree.org.uk for more about this story.

Offline kitten  
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:24:21 PM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Love that Joaquin is a Vegan
Offline sami  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:28:01 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Joy, Thank you so much for the link. I am waiting to have some time over the weekend to take a good look at it. I have a lot of work these next few days.

On another side, I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread with vegan recipes ! What are your fave veggies and how do you cook them ?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:48:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified