JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:00:30 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Post here your favorite Freddie Quell pictures, quotes, things that you loved or hated about him , also funny stuff, anything that you want to share !

UserPostedImage

We the fans appreciate what an amazing job Joaquin and Paul both did creating this character!

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:27:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline joy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:15:34 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
This a great thread, Sami. BigGrin

UserPostedImage
Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:45:30 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thank you Joy . I love your Valentine :)

This is from @PhoenixFann

UserPostedImage
Offline sami  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:29:37 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

This is called the Sweetness of Freddie and its composed by ex Radiohead musician, Jonny Greenwood. You must listen to it with headphones,. Lay down, close your eyes, and let the music guide you ...

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:35:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:27:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
The Master - Freddie Quell Processing Scene

"SalaTaMaRaCiTy

I'm a huge Daniel Day-Lewis fan, but... in a just world, Joaquín would win the Oscar."

"purp skurp

when i saw this scene in the cinema my jaw literally dropped."

"suberkin 3

DDL is great, but his performance in Lincoln didn't even come close to this. It's a travesty that he's winning all these awards and Joaquin isn't."

Edited by user Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:37:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:26:05 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Thanks for that clip, Admin. Incredible! Amazing! Totally freakin' awesome! Love

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline joy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:00:39 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
This is called the Sweetness of Freddie and its composed by ex Radiohead musician, Jonny Greenwood. You must listen to it with headphones,. Lay down, close your eyes, and let the music guide you ...

I followed orders Laugh Wink Beautiful music.

UserPostedImage

I'd love to ride pillion with Freddie.

UserPostedImage

Goodnight. Sleep
Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:44:52 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I hadn't seen the interrogation scene again since the first time in the cinema. Gosh, it's not just good, it's extraordinary ! I can see why Pacino said he'd like to see Joaquin doing theater, he'd be amazing, I would love to see that too.

Joy , thank you for your visual response to the music . I love the gifs Wink I' m glad you enjoyed it Cool The music represents Freddie's bitter sweetness to me ...

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:48:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 3:20:49 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Looking to re-establish himself, Mr. Phoenix read — and passed on — many scripts. Freddie Quell in “The Master” was the first role that drew his interest. A troubled World War II veteran, Freddie is both the feral opposite number of and the unlikely kindred spirit to Mr. Hoffman’s smooth-talking peddler of salvation, Lancaster Dodd.

In an interview on Sunday, Mr. Anderson said he wrote the role of Dodd for Mr. Hoffman, his regular collaborator; for Freddie, he knew he needed “a formidable opponent for Phil.” The prospect of working with Mr. Phoenix excited them both: “I remember Phil saying, ‘Joaquin scares me, in a good way,’ ” Mr. Anderson said.

Mr. Phoenix started as a child actor, and since his breakthrough role, at 21, in Gus Van Sant’s “To Die For,” he has emerged from the shadow of his late brother River, cultivating a reputation as one of Hollywood’s most intense young actors. He has two Academy Award nominations, for playing the sneering villain in “Gladiator” and for his fully committed portrayal of Johnny Cash in “Walk the Line.” But in none of his previous roles does he approach the sheer volatility and physicality that he brings to “The Master.”

“I knew he was going to be good, but I didn’t know he was going to do this,” Mr. Anderson said. “I was unprepared for the level of inventiveness and creative energy that comes out of him. And the level of discipline. By all appearances it looks like he has no discipline, but that’s just a cover story.”

Early on, Mr. Phoenix said: “I told Paul I wasn’t going to self-modulate in any way. I wanted to just expose the id.”

The lessons of “I’m Still Here” inspired him to experiment. “Going out on a stage publicly and not knowing how people are going to react to you — once I experienced that, it made me feel much more comfortable about going into a scene,” Mr. Phoenix said. On “The Master” he tried out different interpretations of lines and scenes, even going for “things that might seem absurd or stupid or don’t make sense or are obviously, quote-unquote, out of character.”

Mr. Anderson said that for much of the shoot, Mr. Phoenix stayed in character. Mr. Phoenix, for his part, dislikes the actorly pretensions of the phrase — “I just hate hearing ‘staying in character,’ ” he said — but he acknowledged the importance of sustaining tension in this case. “Freddie was so extreme,” he said. “I couldn’t physically release and let my body relax, then go back into it.”

His reliance on instinct meant that the first takes were often the most electrifying. “He’s pretty bad at faking it,” Mr. Anderson said. “If a moment gets lost, it’s pretty hard for him to come back to shore. It became clear to me that you better get your lighting right the first time.”

Mr. Phoenix spoke of his rejuvenated career — next up: films with James Gray and Spike Jonze — in terms of a renewed appetite for risk. “For some people acting is a sunset stroll on a beach, and for others it’s scaling a cliff or jumping out of a plane,” he said. “In so much of my life, I take sunset strolls on the beach. When I act, I like the idea of jumping out of the plane.”

On “The Master” both actor and director took pains to emphasize Freddie’s animal side. Mr. Anderson said he showed Mr. Phoenix the first shot of the epic film poem “Baraka,” of a monkey falling asleep: “I said, ‘That’s you.’ ”

For a scene in which Freddie and Lancaster are thrown into neighboring prison cells — sending Freddie into a head-banging, toilet-smashing rage — Mr. Phoenix studied online videos of wild animals in captivity. “You can see that their brains don’t seem to be functioning anymore,” he said. “It’s pure reaction, and you see the muscles going. I knew that’s what I wanted to capture — they’re hurting themselves, and they don’t even know that, but something inside is saying get out, get out.”

That scene was not supposed to end with Mr. Phoenix stomping on the commode.

“I didn’t intend to break the thing,” Mr. Phoenix said. “I didn’t know that was possible.”

New York Times. September 4, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2...-in-the-master.html?_r=0
Offline joy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:26:40 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
Joy , thank you for your visual response to the music . Wink I love the gifs Cool I' m glad you enjoyed it The music represents Freddie's bitter sweetness to me ...

It was only the water gif which was a response to the music really. I imagined myself like Freddie, arms out-stretched over the water. I found a bunch of Master gifs and liked the motorbike one. :)

This one reminds me of one of my favourite scenes in the film. :)

UserPostedImage

Offline kitten  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:54:20 PM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:
The Master - Freddie Quell Processing Scene

"SalaTaMaRaCiTy

I'm a huge Daniel Day-Lewis fan, but... in a just world, Joaquín would win the Oscar."

"purp skurp

when i saw this scene in the cinema my jaw literally dropped."

"suberkin 3

DDL is great, but his performance in Lincoln didn't even come close to this. It's a travesty that he's winning all these awards and Joaquin isn't."

I know , I will not watch the oscars I think it is dumb that daniel day wins everyting, I want Joaquin to win, but I will say that
bradley cooper did a great job too, what is up with daniel day winning everyting, it so dumb, Joaquin should have won for gladator, when the other guy won, my mouth was wide open I could not beleve that and wtl the same, I turn off the tv when he did not win for wtl, so no osacars for me, hugs to everybody, lolCool
Offline kitten  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 1:16:56 AM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
joy wrote:
sami wrote:
Joy , thank you for your visual response to the music . Wink I love the gifs Cool I' m glad you enjoyed it The music represents Freddie's bitter sweetness to me ...

It was only the water gif which was a response to the music really. I imagined myself like Freddie, arms out-stretched over the water. I found a bunch of Master gifs and liked the motorbike one. :)

UserPostedImage

for me the best part of the movie is when freddy is with the girl he meets at the pub , and his graat quote, put it back in, love itTongue Drool

PT Anderson say Joaquin came up with that line, how sexy Blushing
Offline sami  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 3:29:18 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
sami wrote:

Tumblr, the visually oriented ppl's blog, is full of Freddi Quell. The roots grass loves him :
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/freddie%20quell

joy wrote:

UserPostedImage

That scene is scary real !! lwhat Mihai Millaimare says applies ..(in my opinion)

Q: When you’re working on the set, are you thinking of the emotional effect a shot or decision will have on the audience?
A: Yes, I try to think of everything. There's an amazing book called “Art and Visual Perception,” written by Rudolf Arnheim. Arnheim talks about the history of art and images, and the things you can do to manipulate or channel the audience’s feelings or reactions with the meaning of a certain color or contrast, or a certain diagonal. I might not be consciously thinking of these things, but it’s somewhere inside me. You’re also working with a certain set and a certain scene, so it’s finding a balance.

Here's the whole interview:
http://motion.kodak.com/...w_Mihai_Malaimare_Jr.htm

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2013 3:35:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 3:32:05 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

kitten wrote:

for me the best part of the movie is when freddy is with the girl he meets at the pub , and his graat quote, put it back in, love itTongue Drool

Hello Kitten, Smile
I forgot about it and I'm very curious .. Can you remind me please?
Oh wait, I know what you mean now LOL Cool
ThumpUp

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2013 4:06:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 7:05:02 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
Tumblr, the visually oriented ppl's blog, is full of Freddi Quell. The roots grass loves him :
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/freddie%20quell

That's right...I found some of the gifs on there too. Cool

sami wrote:
joy wrote:

UserPostedImage

That scene is scary real !! lwhat Mihai Millaimare says applies ..(in my opinion)

Q: When you’re working on the set, are you thinking of the emotional effect a shot or decision will have on the audience?
A: Yes, I try to think of everything. There's an amazing book called “Art and Visual Perception,” written by Rudolf Arnheim. Arnheim talks about the history of art and images, and the things you can do to manipulate or channel the audience’s feelings or reactions with the meaning of a certain color or contrast, or a certain diagonal. I might not be consciously thinking of these things, but it’s somewhere inside me. You’re also working with a certain set and a certain scene, so it’s finding a balance.

Here's the whole interview:
http://motion.kodak.com/...w_Mihai_Malaimare_Jr.htm

That's great, Sami. Cool We've spoken before about how the colours in this scene evoked strong feelings in us when we watched it, so yes, I think what MM says applies too. Many scenes in 'The Master' in fact. I think the music in this scene contributed a lot too. ThumpUp
Offline joy  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 7:12:54 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
kitten wrote:

Hello Kitten, Smile
I forgot about it and I'm very curious .. Can you remind me please?
Oh wait, I know what you mean now LOL Cool
ThumpUp

Hehe...Freddie said something like "is this a new life?" then Wynn said something to that which prompted Freddie to say "put it back in". Laugh Sexy Joaquin indeed!

Since we've verged into this territory, can I bring the tone down even further? Yes, I can. Laugh

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

That smiley face after the message.... Laugh
Offline joy  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 7:22:51 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

I just wanted to make clear that my posting Freddie's message from the film is not an invite from me. OK? Blushing Laugh Unless you're Joaquin and then it's negotiable. Blushing Laugh
Offline joy  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 7:34:59 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

And this is what Freddie thinks of that! OhMyGod

UserPostedImage

The sun shone today and I think it's gone to my head. Huh
Offline sami  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 7:52:06 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Dear Joy,
You have my unconditional love and support , so go ahead, say whatever you need to say !
Today I feel like a dragon spewing fire .. I am so mad !!
UserPostedImage

LOL LOL LOL
Offline joy  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:14:56 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
Today I feel like a dragon spewing fire .. I am so mad !!

Are you mad at me?