JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline admin  
#21 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:15:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
You're all turning into Freddie Quell... Scared

... I'm off to the beach!

UserPostedImage

Flapper

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2013 8:21:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#22 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:17:17 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I'm even scaring myself, Admin! Scared Laugh
Offline joy  
#23 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:25:04 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

admin wrote:

UserPostedImage

Flapper

Well, if anything deserves a photo.....

UserPostedImage
Offline sami  
#24 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 10:35:30 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
sami wrote:
Today I feel like a dragon spewing fire .. I am so mad !!

Are you mad at me?

What ? No! I'm mad at the academy since Admin said this morning that Lincoln DVD would be distributed in all high schools in the USA I thought that pretty much ruined every bit of tiny hope i had of Joaquin winning an Oscar !!

PS. Writing from Starbucks and realised every single person is plugged into their computer .. Scary !
Offline sami  
#25 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 10:43:22 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:

UserPostedImage

Flapper

Admin , perhaps we all should join you but then it might get a bit freaky !! Laugh Blink Crying

UserPostedImage

What a promising week ahead in the forumLOL LOL LOL
Cool

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2013 12:56:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#26 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 3:11:34 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

On “The Master” both actor and director took pains to emphasize Freddie’s animal side. Mr. Anderson said he showed Mr. Phoenix the first shot of the epic film poem “Baraka,” of a monkey falling asleep: “I said, ‘That’s you.’ ”

I find it relaxing...

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2013 3:16:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#27 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 4:00:21 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I love you guys for your sense of humor. Every time I turn the page and I see Admins comment I can't stop giggling !
Offline sami  
#28 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 4:09:38 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:

UserPostedImage

That smiley face after the message.... Laugh

Yes! You can tell how much thought they put into it, this detail speaks volumes!

Freddie writes the typical note that a schoolboy would write to a girl with something innocent like :" can I kiss you?" but he writes : " do you want to fuck" instead . So he uses the ways of a boy with the needs of an adult man .. So it becomes naively grotesque. His voice even it's a bit high pitch compared to Joaquin's regular voice .

Edited by user Monday, February 18, 2013 8:41:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#29 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:00:32 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
sami wrote:
We've spoken before about how the colours in this scene evoked strong feelings in us when we watched it, so yes, I think what MM says applies too. Many scenes in 'The Master' in fact. I think the music in this scene contributed a lot too. ThumpUp

Joy, besides the boat scene I agree that the music contributes very much. It's very spacious just like the images , the vividness of the colors and something about the sharpness ... The movie premieres in Japan this week , btw if u look at the kind if images and light in japanese interior design mags u will see similarities ., and perhaps it has something to do with Pacific zone !

I love this trailer for the music and Dodd's voice seem to hypnotize you:

But of all the trailers the 1st one is still my fave for How edgy it is . When I first saw it I was electrified . I imagined the movie was gonna be another ISH with just Joaquin in it running the show !

Offline sami  
#30 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:26:23 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

http://tonyortega.org/20...r-who-was-freddie-quell/
Just time this morning for a quick question we wanted to put to our excellent commenting community: as we’ve established in the past, Paul Thomas Anderson researched Scientology’s history deeply before writing the script for his film The Master. There’s just no question that his characters Lancaster, Peggy, and Val Dodd are based on their real-life counterparts: L. Ron, Mary Sue, and L. Ron Hubbard Jr.

But what about the star of the movie? It’s Joaquin Phoenix’s character Freddie Quell who is the main focus of The Master, and we have to wonder, is he based on a real-life counterpart as well?

We’ve heard several different theories on this. Some of our ex-Scientologist sources tell us they see a man named Bruce Welch in Freddie Quell. Welch was a member of the Apollo crew who went a bit crazy in 1973. Hubbard insisted on treating him, and eventually claimed to have done so with a new process he called the “Introspection Rundown.” (That infamous treatment is also what Lisa McPherson was put through in 1995 when she ended up dead at the Fort Harrison Hotel.)

Hubbard’s insistence that he could treat a man who seemed over the edge does seem to be reflected in the way Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman) refuses to give up on Freddie Quell, who seems like a lost cause.

But we’ve heard other people say they see in Dodd and Quell two halves of Hubbard himself. Others have suggested that Quell might have some of David Miscavige in him.
Offline kitten  
#31 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 10:18:41 PM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:

UserPostedImage

Flapper

You make me Drool
Offline sami  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:30:25 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hey Kitten,nice to c U. I dont have time to post now , just dropping one picture !

I think it takes lots of guts to do that on screen. He proves to be very much in character coz I don't think that's Joaquin , that's Freddie, i dont see it in an arousing way .. He's hot coz he has enough character to do it !! U know what I mean ?Laugh HEDESERVES THEOSCAR
Offline kitten  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:48:22 AM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:

UserPostedImage

Flapper

he is very busy, what up Drool Drool Drool
Offline sami  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:52:33 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hey I know I made a joke but keys try to keep this neutral for all audiences Kitten, please ! U never know ppl make up their minds based on silly stuff sometimes ,...

Edited by user Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:39:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:27:17 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
joy wrote:
sami wrote:
Today I feel like a dragon spewing fire .. I am so mad !!

Are you mad at me?

What ? No! I'm mad at the academy since Admin said this morning that Lincoln DVD would be distributed in all high schools in the USA I thought that pretty much ruined every bit of tiny hope i had of Joaquin winning an Oscar !!

Oh, I see. I had my trusty fireman Jack Morrison on hand just in case. BigGrin Wink

UserPostedImage

I thought the Lincoln dvd being distributed in schools was a step closer to Hollywood infiltrating the school curriculum and presenting its version of history as absolute fact. That’s why I posted the historian’s review. At least he tries to redress the balance a bit.

sami wrote:
Joy, besides the boat scene I agree that the music contributes very much. It's very spacious just like the images , the vividness of the colors and something about the sharpness ... The movie premieres in Japan this week , btw if u look at the kind if images and light in japanese interior design mags u will see similarities ., and perhaps it has something to do with Pacific zone !

OK, I can’t say I thought of Japanese interior design when I saw the film….I imagine that to be quite sparce and zen. I’ll try to remember to google some info though. Cool

sami wrote:
Yes! You can tell how much thought they put into it, this detail speaks volumes!

Freddie writes the typical note that a schoolboy would write to a girl with something innocent like :" can I kiss you?" but he writes : " do you want to fuck" instead . So he uses the ways of a boy with the needs of an adult man .. So it becomes naively grotesque. His voice even it's a bit high pitch compared to Joaquin's regular voice

That’s a good way to look at it. The more I think of this scene, the more I find it funny because it is a bit like a schoolboy prank. Freddie’s listening to Dodd lecture about man not being an animal but Freddie’s not that interested. He’s bored. The message is outrageous and obscene but he puts a smiley face on it the way you would if you’d just passed a note to a stranger to say “Hello, my name’s Freddie”. The woman is totally non-plussed though and points to her headphones as if to say “I’m above all that stuff, love. I’m listening to the Master.” The prank backfires.

I love the Baraka monkey!

Offline joy  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:30:45 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Who can forget this scene? I don't think it loses any of its power even though it's dubbed into Italian. Joaquin's lip is really bleeding and you can see the beginnings of a bruise on his shoulder.

Offline sami  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:45:25 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi :)
I'm on my commute and been reading ur reply . For now I just wanted to comment on this :

joy wrote:

OK, I can’t say I thought of Japanese interior design when I saw the film….I imagine that to be quite sparce and zen. I’ll try to remember to google some info though.

I made this connection because an American Jspanese friend of mine posted once a pic on fb called : Light in Japan .. And I was fascinated by the colors of that pic , it was just a street picture , but the light was so pretty , colors were so bright and soft . And The Master images reminds me of those colors .
Offline joy  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:59:56 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hi Sami Smile

Thanks for the further comment and explanation. I see where you're coming from now. Cool

About the Scientology article you posted earlier in the thread....I thought it was interesting that they've wondered if Freddie & Dodd represent two different aspects of L. Ron Hubbard. I do wish the Scientologists would expand their minds a bit about this film though and see that there's more to it than their founder and belief system. It's not even that the film is about that....it was just an inspiration; a reference point.
Offline sami  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:00:37 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
Who can forget this scene? I don't think it loses any of its power even though it's dubbed into Italian. Joaquin's lip is really bleeding and you can see the beginnings of a bruise on his shoulder.

This video contains content from The Weinstein Co., who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

BOOMad ThumbDown

Mr Weinstein, you are a turn off ! I don't like u anymore Mad
Offline sami  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:23:50 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hey, I just made the font bigger. Doesn't it hurts your eyes the regular font size? I have trouble reading it..

JOY: Oh, I see. I had my trusty fireman Jack Morrison on hand just in case. BigGrin Wink

SAMI: I was very mad because I couldn't bare to see Joaquin loosing. Not only for him but for seeing politics winning over human. I'm so tired of this s*it, it's not funny anymore. The prospect of seeing society turning their backs to a masterful performance was too hurtful. To me it's a personal matter.

BUT

Letting it cool during the night, I woke up this morning with the realization that Joaquin going to the Oscars is nice enough.Just think how many ppl in that film got snubbed , starting for Paul. At least Joaquin will be there , and we still can celebrate him. The prize is not important in the end because what matters is that this film happened the way it did and that people is talking about it. We cannot expect things to change from night to day. So I finally accepted reality. I'm happy this way beacuse it's not about loosing or winning anymore. Joaquin said that he doesn't like competition anyway so it makes sense to remove the expectation and just enjoy what we can get BigGrin

J:I thought the Lincoln dvd being distributed in schools was a step closer to Hollywood infiltrating the school curriculum and presenting its version of history as absolute fact. That’s why I posted the historian’s review. At least he tries to redress the balance a bit.

S: I saw the link and I will read it as soon as I can. Thank you for sharing it. ThumpUp

S: I love your interpretation of the smiley. It's more fun than mine Razz :

J: That’s a good way to look at it. The more I think of this scene, the more I find it funny because it is a bit like a schoolboy prank. Freddie’s listening to Dodd lecture about man not being an animal but Freddie’s not that interested. He’s bored. The message is outrageous and obscene but he puts a smiley face on it the way you would if you’d just passed a note to a stranger to say “Hello, my name’s Freddie”. The woman is totally non-plussed though and points to her headphones as if to say “I’m above all that stuff, love. I’m listening to the Master.” The prank backfires.

J: I love the Baraka monkey! S: Wink

J: About the Scientology article you posted earlier in the thread....I thought it was interesting that they've wondered if Freddie & Dodd represent two different aspects of L. Ron Hubbard. I do wish the Scientologists would expand their minds a bit about this film though and see that there's more to it than their founder and belief system. It's not even that the film is about that....it was just an inspiration; a reference point.

S: I that the article was written by an ex-scientologist wanting to uncover the dirt. So it's more from an "anti" perspective.

He says that PTA did research Scientology in a lot of depth but he ended up not including a lot of things that the 1st script included, but that in any case, the main characters were all based on real people, so I thought it was fair game to ask who Freddie was based on.. I know you like the idea of Dodd and Freddie being the same person.. Have you seen Fight Club? Do you think it could be like it?

I am going to go with this:
"...Some of our ex-Scientologist sources tell us they see a man named Bruce Welch in Freddie Quell. Welch was a member of the Apollo crew who went a bit crazy in 1973. Hubbard insisted on treating him, and eventually claimed to have done so with a new process he called the “Introspection Rundown.” "

Welch and Quell are similar

Btw, to quell means to subdue.. to suppress which would be what Dodd tries to do with Freddie.. make sense, no?

Edited by moderator Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:16:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Removed superfluous quote tag