JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kitten  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:58:05 PM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
sami wrote:
joy wrote:

UserPostedImage

That smiley face after the message.... Laugh

Yes! You can tell how much thought they put into it, this detail speaks volumes!

Freddie writes the typical note that a schoolboy would write to a girl with something innocent like :" can I kiss you?" but he writes : " do you want to fuck" instead . So he uses the ways of a boy with the needs of an adult man .. So it becomes naively grotesque. His voice even it's a bit high pitch compared to Joaquin's regular voice .

sure okayDrool
Offline joy  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:58:43 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Kitten, you are incorrigible! RollEyes

sami wrote:
This video contains content from The Weinstein Co., who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

BOO Mad ThumbDown

Mr Weinstein, you are a turn off ! I don't like u anymore Mad

Oh, that's a shame. Crying It's still available here.

Yes, despite all my own mis-givings about the Oscars (and I have plenty) it is going to be a treat to see Joaquin again, even if only in pictures.

sami wrote:
I know you like the idea of Dodd and Freddie being the same person.. Have you seen Fight Club? Do you think it could be like it?

I thought the Dodd/Freddie 2 sides of the same coin perspective was an interesting idea. Do you recall the scene where Dodd, Peggy, the daughter & her hubby are eating dinner and they're all giving Dodd their ideas about Freddie? Peggy thinks he's dangerous and will ruin them, the daughter says he made a pass at her & the hubby thinks he's a spy, etc. The thought crossed my mind afterwards that they could all be representing aspects of Dodd's own character, each giving voice to his own inner thoughts about Freddie.

I haven't seen Fight Club so my answer has to be "I don't know".

sami wrote:
Welch and Quell are similar

Quellch. Like 'quench' - to satiate a thirst.

sami wrote:
Btw, to quell means to subdue.. to suppress which would be what Dodd tries to do with Freddie.. make sense, no?

Yes, that makes sense. It is Freddie’s name though, so I was wondering if there was any significance in the name which was relevant to him. What is that Freddie might ‘quell’ about himself? His memories? His fears? Dodd does try to suppress Freddie’s animal instincts, but he also brings things to the surface eg: the first processing scene.

Offline joy  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:09:22 AM(UTC)
joy

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
joy wrote:
I thought the Lincoln dvd being distributed in schools was a step closer to Hollywood infiltrating the school curriculum and presenting its version of history as absolute fact. That’s why I posted the historian’s review. At least he tries to redress the balance a bit.

sami wrote:
I saw the link and I will read it as soon as I can. Thank you for sharing it. ThumpUp

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Some historians have argued that Lincoln’s personal beliefs underwent a significant change during the last year of the Civil War, and Lincoln did in fact suggest to the reconstructed government of Louisiana in 1864 that “very intelligent” black men and “those who have fought gallantly in our ranks” might be given access to the ballot box. As depicted by the film, during the 1864 Presidential campaign Lincoln threw his support behind passage of the 13th Amendment and was active in securing its passage in 1865. But he never became a radical abolitionist like Thaddeus Stevens, or an outright advocate of racial equality. Lincoln continued to put forth plans for the resettlement of freedmen to the Caribbean even after issuing the Emancipation Proclamation and possibly even after the passage of the 13th Amendment.

Too narrow of a focus on the actions of Lincoln and other white politicians unfortunately downplays the role played by both enslaved and free African Americans in the Civil War-era struggle for freedom. Black characters largely appear passive in Spielberg’s account. Kate Masur points out that White House servants Elizabeth Keckley and William Slade were deeply involved in the free black activist community of Washington, D.C. Instead of appearing as dynamic characters within the President’s household, they are relegated to cardboard roles as domestics. The most assertive black character in the movie is a soldier who confronts the President about past ill-treatment and future aspirations. Lincoln artfully deflects the soldier’s concerns and the scene ends with the soldier quoting the Gettysburg Address. The one-dimensional black characters in Lincoln are unrecognizable as depictions of African Americans during the Civil War.

Early in the war, when Lincoln strenuously wished to avoid confronting slavery, black enslaved workers fled to federal lines and congregated around federal camps such as Fortress Monroe, Va. Congress passed the Confiscation Act of 1861 in reaction to this development, marking the first movement by the federal government to separate rebellious slaveholders from their enslaved workers. While Lincoln continued to insist that the war was a struggle to preserve the Union, African Americans did not wait for the Emancipation Proclamation to turn the war into much more than a sectional conflict. Slavery was destroyed as much by their individual actions as by the political workings of white politicians.

http://alcalde.texasexes...ln-a-historians-review/

This is an excerpt from a newspaper review which gives some more info:

Day-Lewis looks the part and supplies plenty of gravitas, with welcome traces of a dry sense of humour. He remains, however, a mythic, super-heroic icon of leadership, speaking in wise parables and high-flown rhetoric.

The sad truth is that Spielberg and his writer Tony Kushner are offering a phoney, sanitised version of Lincoln. Most modern re-evaluations of the Republican President suggest that he was not the liberal that present-day Democrats would like him to have been. The real Lincoln believed in whites’ superiority over blacks, condemned miscegenation and was keen to ship black slaves off to overseas plantations after the abolition of slavery.

You’d never know it from Spielberg’s film, but the anti-slavery 13th Amendment originated not with Lincoln but with a petition campaign by early feminists called the Women’s National Loyal League. The film wildly exaggerates the President’s role in ending slavery and virtually ignores black people’s contribution.

The most prominent abolitionists included newspaper editor William Garrison, heiress Angelina Grimke, novelist Harriet Beecher Stowe and the freed slave Frederick Douglass. Not one of these is mentioned in Lincoln.

The film most culpably leaves out the fact that, while events in this picture were occurring, southern slaves were already rebelling and seizing the land where they worked. Nowhere in the film is any mention by Lincoln or any of his allies of the strategic advantages of ruining the slave-based southern economy, and freeing millions of slaves behind enemy lines, many of whom would then fight for the Yankee army.

http://www.dailymail.co....truth.html#ixzz2LTkHPeID
Offline sami  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:57:12 PM(UTC)
sami

On the set of The Master:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

(screencaps from @cigsandredvines )