JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1617181920>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#341 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:04:35 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
admin wrote:
I finally got to see The Master! BigGrin

Yay! BigGrin

admin wrote:
I thought the acting by Joaquin, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams was as good as it gets.

Yes, yes, & yes.

admin wrote:
I understood about 75% of what Joaquin's character said. Confused

He’s the new Marlon Brando apparently.

admin wrote:
The film didn't bore me despite being over 2 hours long (where as SkyFall, an action film which is of similar time length, did).

I didn’t get bored with the film either. Even if Joaquin hadn’t been in it, I’d have enjoyed it. I get bored with action films too but I’m still looking forward to seeing SkyFall.

admin wrote:
The film didn't have the usual film structure (which was not a bad thing) it just left there no easy way to end the film in a satisfactorily/satisfyingly way.

I thought the ending left everything open to interpretation rather than being unsatisfactory or unsatisfying.

admin wrote:
In a theater that could hold approx 150 people per viewing, there were only about 15 people in there!

Oh dear. I’ll let you know how many people turn up at my theatre Wink when I go to see the film later this week.

admin wrote:
Would love to see a sequel! Laugh

The Master-Bation. Laugh

admin wrote:
Now looking forward to being able to see the The Master in the comfort of home and being able to pick and choose to watch favorite scenes! I hope there is director commentary also, that would be great to hear.

There’s bound to be a director commentary. I rarely listen to them but I really like PTA’s voice.

admin wrote:
The next Joaquin film i'm most looking forward to is "Her"!

And there’s the James Gray film ‘Nightingale’ too. BigGrin

I had a reply today from Odeon West End about the scratched film…I mentioned it way back in this thread. They said that there was a scratch but they replaced the film on Tuesday 6th so the 70mm version I saw on Wednesday 7th was scratchless.
Offline sami  
#342 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:27:10 AM(UTC)
sami

Hi Admin,

Im glad to hear you enjoyed the film. The film wasn't boring to me either . It's not a boring film. I agree with you, given the nature of the story, it's difficult to end it in a satisfying way . Dodd and Freddie's relationship is an impossible one !

So , what did u think of Joaquin's performance ?!
Offline admin  
#343 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 8:21:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Hi Sami,

Yes, as others have said, Joaquin's performance in The Master does seem to be "career defining". I can't imagine any other actors being able to pull that performance? Can you? Huh (Maybe Jack Nicholson in his "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" era?).

Joaquin has set himself an impressive precedent, it will be interesting to see how he follows through with his other new upcoming movies BigGrin

Would love to see him win the best actor oscar, just to see how he handles receiving it after his oscar comments! Laugh

Edited by user Monday, November 19, 2012 8:30:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#344 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 6:00:25 PM(UTC)
sami

admin wrote:
Hi Sami,

Yes, as others have said, Joaquin's performance in The Master does seem to be "career defining". I can't imagine any other actors being able to pull that performance? Can you? Huh (Maybe Jack Nicholson in his "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" era?).

Joaquin has set himself an impressive precedent, it will be interesting to see how he follows through with his other new upcoming movies BigGrin

Would love to see him win the best actor oscar, just to see how he handles receiving it after his oscar comments! Laugh

Admin, is there is someone who can pull that out (oscars) it is Joaquin. He is a man of many resources !

I can imagine another actor, maybe Tom Hanks? Dustin Hoffman? .. Perhaps Nicholson.. Some say Al Pacino. Have you seen Scarface? Perhaps... But none like Joaquin,

I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious to know how did you feel after the movie.. Did it move you in any way? Did you enjoy it more in terms of cinematography? What was your reaction after seeing it .. I dunno, I guess you knew too much already, but were there any surprises left in it?
Offline sami  
#345 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 6:44:09 PM(UTC)
sami

admin wrote:
Would love to see a sequel! Laugh

joy wrote:
The Master-Bation. Laugh

I LOL'ed at this Joy !! I'd love a sequel too BigGrin

admin wrote:
Now looking forward to being able to see the The Master in the comfort of home and being able to pick and choose to watch favorite scenes! I hope there is director commentary also, that would be great to hear.

joy wrote:
There’s bound to be a director commentary. I rarely listen to them but I really like PTA’s voice.

Yes, me too. He's pleasant to listen to and he's articulate.

admin wrote:
The next Joaquin film i'm most looking forward to is "Her"!

joy wrote:
And there’s the James Gray film ‘Nightingale’ too. BigGrin

I look forward to both those films. They look very promising !

Offline admin  
#346 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:26:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious to know how did you feel after the movie.. Did it move you in any way? Did you enjoy it more in terms of cinematography? What was your reaction after seeing it .. I dunno, I guess you knew too much already, but were there any surprises left in it?

I felt the film was excellent in nearly every way... except it lacked a climactic "punch". If it could have delivered an ending such as a "Shawshank Redemption" style ending then it could have been a "Top 10 film of all-time". It was sooooo close to being an all time great. I think most people found the ending disappointing because the rest of the "ingredients" were so good... it's like having a cake with wonderful ingredients, it looks great and smells good too... but when it comes to the final all important taste, it just doesn't taste as good as it should have.

I think the film will do far better commercially on DVD/Blueray, with all the extras, than it has as a cinema piece. BigGrin
Offline sami  
#347 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:41:44 PM(UTC)
sami

Admin,
Thanks for letting me know your overall impression of the film. I hope they will work together another time. It would be great !!
Offline joy  
#348 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:54:57 AM(UTC)
joy

Hi Sami & Admin,

I saw the film for the second time yesterday (Tues 20th). There were 10 of us in a room which had about 80 seats. I thought there were some scenes in the digital version which were not in the 70mm version and vice versa but that might just be because I noticed different things this time. I’ve also changed my mind about the interpretation of some of the scenes. The sounds from the camera were missing in this version – it felt like part of the soundtrack in the 70mm and added dramatic effect I thought, even though PTA didn’t plan it that way. This time I was able to get into the story more and take more note of the subtler nuances in the acting. I still jumped and winced when Freddie’s leg hit the corner of the table even though I knew it was coming and when Freddie was thrashing about in the cell. I laughed a few times, but I didn’t hear anyone else...maybe they did quietly or didn’t because they didn’t think any of it was amusing. Dunno. I still think the cinematography is stunning, as is Joaquin’s performance.

When Joaquin won the Golden Globe for WTL he was really happy and said it meant more to him than he imagined. Maybe this is how he’ll feel if he wins an Oscar for The Master.

Wishing you both……

UserPostedImage

Love, joy xx
Offline sami  
#349 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:16:40 PM(UTC)
sami

Hi JOy,

Thanks for the wishes but I don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

I hope you have a good day. Smile

Hugs,

Sami

PS. Nice to hear your comments about 2nd screening. It's interesting also to notice how the experience from 70mm to digital influences your perception of the film, of the story ! So you're saying you pay more attention to the action rather than the visual. Makes sense.
Offline joy  
#350 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:00:20 AM(UTC)
joy

Hi Sami,

I don’t celebrate Thanksgiving either but you’re in America and I’m convinced Admin is an American – at least he spells like an American – so it was something I just wanted to do. Maybe I should extend a Happy Thanksgiving to all the viewers too! *waves*

I had a productive day, a windy day and a very wet day. I went for a walk in the rain early evening, so it was dark too. Got soaked through to the skin. I don’t know…I like to walk in the rain sometimes. It feels good. The wind feels good too sometimes; like this morning.

How was your day?

I was bowled over by the film on the first showing (70mm), especially the cinematography. It’s such a gorgeous film to experience – visually and aurally. I can’t help it – it’s just the way I experience a lot of films (music too). I did follow the story the first time around, but at the second screening I was able to concentrate on the story a bit better: there are a lot of threads to the story to take in. For example, I realised the importance of Doris in Freddie’s story and the final scene with Freddie and Dodd made more sense to me: Freddie’s reactions to Dodd singing to him and the way Dodd sang the song. I’m going away for a couple of days, but I’ll write more when I get back.

Hugs.
Offline admin  
#351 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:59:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Sami and Joy,

Looks like that makes 3 of us that doesn't celebrate "Thanks giving" Cool But thanks for the well-wishes, i'm sure there are plenty of forum lurkers that celebrate "Thanks giving".

I'd like to see The Master again soon, but will definitely be more interested in seeing the DVD/Blue-ray version. The smart thing to do would for them to bring out The Master on DVD/Blue-ray just in time for Christmas (e.g. now! Drool)... i know it hasn't been at the cinema very long, but it clearly only has a small social audience at the cinema and cinemas will soon start to pull-it because they will be making no money from it, i'm sure more people will be receptive to it on DVD/Blue-ray and to maximize sales they should really try to get it out for Christmas... but, sadly, I don't think it'll happen Glare
Offline sami  
#352 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:29:02 PM(UTC)
sami

Hi Joy, I need to watch the film again.You make me wanna !

My day was great, thank you !BigGrin

Admin, I didn't realize how much of a film lover you are. I can see you playing the DVD a hundred times, stopping it, rewinding it.. soaking it all in ! It's like candy for you , right?
I hope you'll get it soon !

Here they are playing now the Lincoln movie. I haven't watched it yet. ANother that has good reviews is Ben Affleck's Argo. I need to watch these 2 films before xmas !

Edited by user Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:56:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#353 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 7:31:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
Admin, I didn't realize how much of a film lover you are. I can see you playing the DVD a hundred times, stopping it, rewinding it.. soaking it all in ! It's like candy for you , right?

No Sami, i think you over interpreted, i just like to skip the boring sections and get to the meat and potatoes! BigGrin Well, obviously we all have our favorites scenes in movies Cool
Offline sami  
#354 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 1:49:23 PM(UTC)
sami

admin wrote:

No Sami, i think you over interpreted, i just like to skip the boring sections and get to the meat and potatoes! BigGrin

Oh, I see. I over interpreted big time then LOL

admin wrote:
Well, obviously we all have our favorites scenes in movies Cool

What are your favorite scenes in The Master ?

oh, don't tell me.I think I know ...the nude scene, right?! LOL

--

btw, Are you watching the LA Times videos? They interviewed PTA and now they release bits of it every week. It's part of a series called envelope in which they talk about possible movies candidates for the Oscars. See for yourself:

http://www.latimes.com/e...ainment/envelope/oscars/

Paul Thomas Anderson deploys big cameras in 'The Master' [Video]

http://www.latimes.com/e...20121119,0,7790548.story

Offline joy  
#355 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:17:30 AM(UTC)
joy

admin wrote:
I'd like to see The Master again soon, but will definitely be more interested in seeing the DVD/Blue-ray version. The smart thing to do would for them to bring out The Master on DVD/Blue-ray just in time for Christmas (e.g. now! Drool )... i know it hasn't been at the cinema very long, but it clearly only has a small social audience at the cinema and cinemas will soon start to pull-it because they will be making no money from it, i'm sure more people will be receptive to it on DVD/Blue-ray and to maximize sales they should really try to get it out for Christmas... but, sadly, I don't think it'll happen Glare

Admin, the film finishes its run where I am this week and one site I looked at said the DVD/Blu-ray will be released some time in January 2013 (anticipated) so it looks unlikely that Father Christmas will be putting this in your stocking this year. Sad However…… assuming the world doesn’t end on December 21st as some say it’s going to (Mayan calendar expiring and all that Scared Laugh ) there will be something to look forward to in the New Year when (take your pick..) post-Christmas/New Year or January blues set in; miserable at starting post-Christmas/New Year diet; January weather starts to take its toll; tax return and payment due by end of January looms. Some people don’t celebrate Christmas until January 6th/7th so maybe they’ll get The Master in their stockings yet. Haha, I’m Miss Positive. BigGrin

sami wrote:
Hi Joy, I need to watch the film again.You make me wanna !

How come you didn’t go to see the film a second time before?

Sami, can you enlighten me? In the 70mm what happened following the scene where Dodd sang to Freddie?

sami wrote:
Here they are playing now the Lincoln movie. I haven't watched it yet. ANother that has good reviews is Ben Affleck's Argo. I need to watch these 2 films before xmas !

Both of these films are showing here atm. I’m not sure about Lincoln, but I’d like to see Argo.

Quote:
admin wrote:
Well, obviously we all have our favorites scenes in movies Cool

sami wrote:

Aww, c’mon Admin. Tell us which is your favourite scene in The Master! Wink

Sami, for some reason the links don’t open to the page for me. However, I did watch the envelope ones on Cigarettes & Red Vines. Very nice. Seems PTA has worked non-stop talking about and promoting this film.

Offline admin  
#356 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:13:41 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hello to you both! Hope you are both well!

sami wrote:

I've watched Argo tonight... all i can is "it was ok", just an OK film based on a "true" event. I don't think there was any acting in it that topped that in The Master.

joy wrote:

sami wrote:

Aww, c’mon Admin. Tell us which is your favourite scene in The Master! Wink

Ah yes, sorry Sami, i began to think about that question and then forgot to answer. It's difficult to say, i may be able to say definitively once i've seen the movie a few times on DVD. But for now, the scenes that stood out are:

The department store where Freddy works as a photographer.
The "processing sessions" between Freddy and Dodd.
The scene were Freddy and Dodd roll around on the grass.
The prison cell scene.

It's probably one of those! or maybe it will be a scene that was cut from the movie that will hopefully be an extra on the DVD!

Thanks for the info on the potential release date of the DVD/Blue-ray Joy! Fingers crossed!
Offline joy  
#357 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 8:41:21 AM(UTC)
joy

Thank you, Admin. How are you?

I hope Sami can answer my question because I thought the 35mm had a couple of scenes following the final Dodd & Freddie meeting that were not in the 70mm version but I'm not sure. Confused

admin wrote:
I've watched Argo tonight... all i can is "it was ok", just an OK film based on a "true" event. I don't think there was any acting in it that topped that in The Master.

It’s pretty hard to top the acting in The Master. Hope I can get to see Argo before it finishes showing here.

admin wrote:
Ah yes, sorry Sami, i began to think about that question and then forgot to answer. It's difficult to say, i may be able to say definitively once i've seen the movie a few times on DVD. But for now, the scenes that stood out are:

The department store where Freddy works as a photographer.
The "processing sessions" between Freddy and Dodd.
The scene were Freddy and Dodd roll around on the grass.
The prison cell scene.

I like all of those scenes too. Did you find any of the film funny?

I was bugged after seeing the 70mm about the scene where Dodd and Freddie meet and Dodd says his little speech….I’m a philosopher, doctor, a man, etc, etc. I thought I’d heard that before from somewhere and wondered if it was a parody of something else. I was wracking my brains and then after seeing the film for the second time it came to me: the scene from Gladiator when Commodus asks Maximus who he is and he says “My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife.” OK, so not exactly the same, and it probably wasn’t intentional, but this is what Dodd introducing himself to Freddie reminded me of. Blink

Offline sami  
#358 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 4:51:22 PM(UTC)
sami

Hi,

I just watched this PTA interview in full. He's adorable !

http://m.cinemablend.com...re-Hourlong-Q-34260.html

Joy, I don't remember what comes after the scene where Dodd sings to Freddie. I remember Freddie is crying.. I didn't watch the movie a 2nd time yet because I like a space in between 1st and 2nd time !! Maybe during Oscar season they'll play it again and I'll go then !

Admin,
I love the scenes you picked as favorite . U make me think I picked the scenes I remembered the most but not my faves , so here we go ..

- the scene where Freddie walks along the sea port and heads towards the boat .. You can hear the voices of the ppl in the party while they dance and the music playing.. The images are to vivid .. And the sounds too.

- the mall scenes : the visuals there again are so real,

- the scene when they travel to NY and Dodd is questioned . I love that scene. It's amazing . Also Freddie says little but has many close ups just featuring his face and u know exactly what he's thinking !!

- when Freddie finishes the "therapy" and Dodd tells him he's passed the test and Freddie gives him a hug. ( I know, I'm cornie !!!)

What about u Joy? I think you didn't say what are your favorite scenes yet ! I'd love to know !

PS. Yes, I laughed during the film . I think it stays together because there is balance of funny and serious .

Edited by user Monday, November 26, 2012 5:01:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#359 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:55:34 AM(UTC)
joy

sami wrote:
I didn't watch the movie a 2nd time yet because I like a space in between 1st and 2nd time !! Maybe during Oscar season they'll play it again and I'll go then !

Fair enough. Maybe you'll have seen it on dvd or Blu-ray by the time the Oscars come around. Smile

sami wrote:
Joy, I don't remember what comes after the scene where Dodd sings to Freddie. I remember Freddie is crying..

Oh, that’s a shame. In the digital, after the Dodd & Freddie scene, we see Freddie walking along a road and then in a pub where he meets the girl. Does this jog your memory? I have no idea why, but I have no recollection of these scenes being in the 70mm! In fact, I remember thinking how weird it was that the scene changed so suddenly from Dodd & Freddie to the bed scene. There were a couple of other things too that I thought were different in each version but I forget them now. Maybe I’m losing my mind. Blink

Yes, Sami, the boat scene is a favourite for me too. The colours, the sounds. And the scene in the department store. Ella Fitzgerald singing definitely adds an extra dimension to the feel of the whole scene. I love her voice. I love how Joaquin/Freddie walks away after the fight. There’s just something about the way he walks.....brilliant. I would also say that the wall/window therapy scene is a favourite. (maybe we’re twins! Laugh) The hug afterwards is amazing. And Freddie saying “It’s a fucking wall” – loved how he said that.

My other favourites are:

- The sudden water scenes. Just the shots of the water – the colour, the foam and the sound.

- The scene where they’re all at a party at a woman’s house and Dodd is doing the therapy on the hostess and everyone is in the room and a man starts to question Dodd about the therapy and teachings and Freddie throws a tomato at him. This entire scene is just visually stunning for me. The way it’s filmed is just fantastic.

Thanks for the link to the PTA interview. I’ve listened to about half of it and I’ll listen to the rest tomorrow. Yes, PTA is adorable!

Offline admin  
#360 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:13:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joy wrote:
I like all of those scenes too. Did you find any of the film funny?

No Joy, i can't say i found the film funny, but i did smile at scenes where Freddie and Lancaster show affection for each other.

sami wrote:
- the scene where Freddie walks along the sea port and heads towards the boat .. You can hear the voices of the ppl in the party while they dance and the music playing.. The images are to vivid .. And the sounds too.

Yes Sami, i like that scene to. I like the way that the camera is focused on Freddie as he walks along and the boat in the background is out of focus, and then it changes to the other-way around to focus on the boat. Nicely done!

On another note, it is a shame that Joaquin hasn't done any video based interviews for The Master Mellow It must be frustrating for the P.R. people for the film that Joaquin shies away from that side of the business. Flapper

Edited by user Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:53:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified