JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#361 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:52:51 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups: Guests

joy wrote:

In the digital, after the Dodd & Freddie scene, we see Freddie walking along a road and then in a pub where he meets the girl. Does this jog your memory?

Yes, it does ! I think it's in the 70mm version. I recall Freddie walking in the street and entering the pub!

joy wrote:
There were a couple of other things too that I thought were different in each version but I forget them now. Maybe I’m losing my mind. Blink

It's hard fro me to tell because I haven't seen it in digital format.. Initially I would think that there wouldn't be any other differences besides format. Perhaps it's because you pay attention to different things the 2nd time. There is a lot going in this film, it wouldn't be strange !!

joy wrote:
Yes, Sami, the boat scene is a favourite for me too. The colours, the sounds. And the scene in the department store. Ella Fitzgerald singing definitely adds an extra dimension to the feel of the whole scene. I love her voice. I love how Joaquin/Freddie walks away after the fight. There’s just something about the way he walks.....brilliant. I would also say that the wall/window therapy scene is a favourite. (maybe we’re twins! Laugh) The hug afterwards is amazing. And Freddie saying “It’s a fucking wall” – loved how he said that.

We end up choosing the same scenes , that's very nice . I don't know if ti's because I'm idelazing the movie but now that it/s been a while I'm starting to digest it and understand it better. It might be one of those that stay for long time !!

joy wrote:

- The scene where they’re all at a party at a woman’s house and Dodd is doing the therapy on the hostess and everyone is in the room and a man starts to question Dodd about the therapy and teachings and Freddie throws a tomato at him. This entire scene is just visually stunning for me. The way it’s filmed is just fantastic.

I agree Joy. That scene stroke me too. It's so vivid, and you can feel the tension. PSH is on the top of the game there. Actually throughout the movie. You don't doubt him for a second.

joy wrote:
Thanks for the link to the PTA interview. I’ve listened to about half of it and I’ll listen to the rest tomorrow. Yes, PTA is adorable!

I agree, and he's very patient with some of the questions.. RollEyes .I like his approach. He seems very demanding but at the same time very practical, he doesn't over think stuff, or at least it seems like it.. It was very interesting to listen to. I love how casual he is. His praising of Joaquin is very sincere too. You can tell how much he values him.

admin wrote:

Yes Sami, i like that scene to. I like the way that the camera is focused on Freddie as he walks along and the boat in the background is out of focus, and then it changes to the other-way around to focus on the boat. Nicely done!

There must be a lot of this kind of artistry in this film .. I'm not aware of it but perhaps it's what makes the visuals so vivid.

admin wrote:
On another note, it is a shame that Joaquin hasn't done any video based interviews for The Master Mellow It must be frustrating for the P.R. people for the film that Joaquin shies away from that side of the business. Flapper

Admin, you're still hung up on this? I have already moved on. I accept it. I see what you mean though... Joaquin could do it. Whats confusing is that he's done it in the past. He has the skill to go through those interviews. If he doesnt wanna maybe he s really afraid of fame This time. He's seem many things from close..

Whatever, I'm not a mind reader !

Edited by user Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:27:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#362 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:40:15 PM(UTC)
sami

UserPostedImage

Offline sami  
#363 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:34:27 PM(UTC)
sami

It's 4.15 am here.. I quit smoking cold turkey 5 weeks ago and feel great but now I can't sleep at night. My heart goes really fast, chest hurts, the back and the belly , the throat is soar .. Tomorrow I'm going to the doctor .

So, since i cant sleep.. This video of PTA in Charlie Rose in which he's asked the question : Why isn't the film a box office success ? It's nice to hear his answer :

http://m.youtube.com/#/w...eature%3Dplayer_embedded

I think it's partly how ppl is predisposed to watch the film .. We have certain expectations and when a film doesn't fulfill them sth is missing . I am starting to think .. What if I change my expectations ? Then I can truly enjoy the film ! Perhaps PTA assumed ppl would know how to do that .. Dunno

I watched a movie on Netflix the other day about a alcoholic guy living in LA, with a rich daddy, divorced with a young kid and completely lonely , depressed , fucked up. He fell for this other girl who was a drunk too and the movie just shows them both hanging out, getting drunk,getting in trouble all the time. She doesn't want to have ex with him and this makes him want her more . So at the end of the movie she finally gives in .. And u'd think they end up together but the next morning he gives her some cash for the cab and tells her bye bye. She gets really mad and calls her f- as$*ole . The end.

So ppl were giving bad reviews of the movie but I thought it was pretty good since it seemed accurate with what could possibly very well happen in real life . A bit like The Master.. I thought. It doesn't change anything ppl just continue doing the same.
Offline joy  
#364 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:58:49 AM(UTC)
joy

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Quote:
joy wrote:
In the digital, after the Dodd & Freddie scene, we see Freddie walking along a road and then in a pub where he meets the girl. Does this jog your memory?

Yes, it does ! I think it's in the 70mm version. I recall Freddie walking in the street and entering the pub!
joy wrote:
There were a couple of other things too that I thought were different in each version but I forget them now. Maybe I’m losing my mind.

sami wrote:
It's hard fro me to tell because I haven't seen it in digital format.. Initially I would think that there wouldn't be any other differences besides format. Perhaps it's because you pay attention to different things the 2nd time. There is a lot going in this film, it wouldn't be strange !!

Well, yes, it may be that I noticed different things, but that’s 2 whole scenes I have no recollection of!! And I remembered one of the other things…when Peggy is processing Freddie and asking him to change the colour of her eyes she asks him to place something in the future for himself but that part isn’t in the digital version! I’m sure it isn’t! (Admin??) Now I’m wondering if it was in the 70mm or if I dreamed it. Huh

sami wrote:
I agree Joy. That scene stroke me too. It's so vivid, and you can feel the tension. PSH is on the top of the game there. Actually throughout the movie. You don't doubt him for a second.

Yes, PSH is fantastic in this scene. The scene also highlighted how Dodd’s animal side comes to the fore when he’s challenged – calling the other guy a “pig fuck” for instance. When he’s challenged by the Laura Dern character later about how the Cause has changed from memories (?) to imagining, he explodes too.

sami wrote:
I agree, and he's very patient with some of the questions.. .I like his approach. He seems very demanding but at the same time very practical, he doesn't over think stuff, or at least it seems like it.. It was very interesting to listen to. I love how casual he is. His praising of Joaquin is very sincere too. You can tell how much he values him.

Yes he is! It’s obvious too he has a hard time finding answers or comments even to some of the questions. And when he says “That’s agood question” when he doesn’t know how to answer it! He looks and sounds pretty knackered sometimes but still manages to keep it together. Joaquin deserves PTA’s praise.

Quote:

admin wrote:

Yes Sami, i like that scene to. I like the way that the camera is focused on Freddie as he walks along and the boat in the background is out of focus, and then it changes to the other-way around to focus on the boat. Nicely done!

sami wrote:
There must be a lot of this kind of artistry in this film .. I'm not aware of it but perhaps it's what makes the visuals so vivid.

I noticed this too, Admin. When Freddie’s walking, the lights from the boat appear as circles of colour in front of him (oranges, yellows, reds) and then the circles slowly fade as the image of the boat comes into focus.

sami wrote:
It's 4.15 am here.. I quit smoking cold turkey 5 weeks ago and feel great but now I can't sleep at night. My heart goes really fast, chest hurts, the back and the belly , the throat is soar .. Tomorrow I'm going to the doctor .

I think that’s a good idea, Sami. It could be a number of things and the fact you haven’t been sleeping well lately wouldn’t help. Please let us know what the doctor says and that you’re ok…you know you've been on my mind lately. Hugs!

Why did you post photos of Joaquin & Heath Ledger?

PS: The link to the PTA video doesn’t go anywhere for me other than a ‘website cannot be found’ page.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:04:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#365 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:56:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Hi Sami and Joy,

joy wrote:
…when Peggy is processing Freddie and asking him to change the colour of her eyes she asks him to place something in the future for himself but that part isn’t in the digital version! I’m sure it isn’t! (Admin??) Now I’m wondering if it was in the 70mm or if I dreamed it. Huh

As far as i remember (after only seeing it once!), when Peggy is asking him to change the color of her eyes, it cuts to show Freddie laying down on a bench on his back? and then it cuts to show Peggy and her eyes change to black? Confused At least i think that's what happened, or maybe i dreamt that also. I think the problem maybe that a lot of scenes from the trailers aren't in the film and it gets confusing!

Hope you get well soon Sami!
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#366 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:19:37 PM(UTC)
sami

admin wrote:
Hi Sami and Joy,

joy wrote:
…when Peggy is processing Freddie and asking him to change the colour of her eyes she asks him to place something in the future for himself but that part isn’t in the digital version! I’m sure it isn’t! (Admin??) Now I’m wondering if it was in the 70mm or if I dreamed it. Huh

As far as i remember (after only seeing it once!), when Peggy is asking him to change the color of her eyes, it cuts to show Freddie laying down on a bench on his back? and then it cuts to show Peggy and her eyes change to black? Confused At least i think that's what happened, or maybe i dreamt that also. I think the problem maybe that a lot of scenes from the trailers aren't in the film and it gets confusing!

I remember what Joy says but not what Admin says. I don't remember Freddie laying down on a bench..

joy wrote:
Yes, PSH is fantastic in this scene. The scene also highlighted how Dodd’s animal side comes to the fore when he’s challenged – calling the other guy a “pig fuck” for instance. When he’s challenged by the Laura Dern character later about how the Cause has changed from memories (?) to imagining, he explodes too.

Oh yeah, Dodd's bursts are really good. This is when he shows his true colors. Philip is incredible.

joy wrote:
He looks and sounds pretty knackered sometimes but still manages to keep it together. Joaquin deserves PTA’s praise.

Does knackered mean tired? .. and yes. Joaquin deserves Pauls' praise.

Here's the PTA on Charles Rose link again:

joy wrote:

As an example of some1 that was very famous and successful and very much praised and how it consumed him ..

Oh BTW, Thank you for your best wishes guys.. I hope you don't worry about me too much.. I actually slept over today. Crying I skipped the doctor's appoint. Huh I feel a bit sick still but not a lot. I will go tomorrow again.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:35:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#367 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:40:12 PM(UTC)
sami

admin wrote:

On another note, it is a shame that Joaquin hasn't done any video based interviews for The Master It must be frustrating for the P.R. people for the film that Joaquin shies away from that side of the business.

sami wrote:
Admin, you're still hung up on this? I have already moved on. I accept it. I see what you mean though... Joaquin could do it. Whats confusing is that he's done it in the past. He has the skill to go through those interviews. If he doesnt wanna maybe he s really afraid of fame This time. He's seem many things from close..

Admin.. Excuse me if I'm too straight forward but I see you haven't followed up with this topic and I would really like to know what you think !

I mean, this is a forum. It's a place to discuss, we don't have to agree with everything !
Offline joy  
#368 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:49:12 AM(UTC)
joy

Hello SAmi & Admin. Smile

Quote:
admin wrote:
Hi Sami and Joy,

joy wrote:…when Peggy is processing Freddie and asking him to change the colour of her eyes she asks him to place something in the future for himself but that part isn’t in the digital version! I’m sure it isn’t! (Admin??) Now I’m wondering if it was in the 70mm or if I dreamed it.

As far as i remember (after only seeing it once!), when Peggy is asking him to change the color of her eyes, it cuts to show Freddie laying down on a bench on his back? and then it cuts to show Peggy and her eyes change to black? At least i think that's what happened, or maybe i dreamt that also. I think the problem maybe that a lot of scenes from the trailers aren't in the film and it gets confusing!

sami wrote:
I remember what Joy says but not what Admin says. I don't remember Freddie laying down on a bench..

I haven’t watched any of the trailers yet (apart from the 1st one) so my perception isn’t being coloured by those. Freddie doesn’t lie down on a bench in the films. I don’t think I dreamed any of the missing scenes or dialogue. We don’t see Freddie entering a pub in the digital….the scene shows him sitting in a pub already and he’s walking along a tree-lined path away from the house. So, I’m saying that there are definitely some things in the 70mm that aren’t in the digital and vice versa.

sami wrote:
Oh yeah, Dodd's bursts are really good. This is when he shows his true colors. Philip is incredible.

I don’t think it’s that he shows his true colours as such. I think he’s unused to being challenged, surrounded as he is by acolytes and followers who accept his every word. I have to deal with the kind of stuff the guy challenging Dodd was saying all the time. Not exactly the same stuff....the same attitude. I'm not Dodd though.

sami wrote:
Does knackered mean tired? .. and yes. Joaquin deserves Pauls' praise.

Yes it does. It’s a bit more than just tired though…..a bit frayed around the edges and worn out kind of tired. It’s not a word I use often but it just seemed to fit with how PTA seemed at times in the video clip.

Quote:
joy wrote:

sami wrote:
As an example of some1 that was very famous and successful and very much praised and how it consumed him ..

Oh, I see. I don’t know much about Heath Ledger’s life or career although I know he died.

Do you think Joaquin will do any of the talk shows in the run up to the Oscars? Sami? Admin?

PS: Let us know how you get on at the doctors, Sami. xx

PPS: Thanks for the PTA video, Sami. Will watch to it in a minute. Smile
Offline admin  
#369 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:32:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
Admin.. Excuse me if I'm too straight forward but I see you haven't followed up with this topic and I would really like to know what you think !

I mean, this is a forum. It's a place to discuss, we don't have to agree with everything !

Hi Sami,

I think maybe that "I'm still here" was a game changer in Joaquin's life... to take a break from "the norm" and do a film like that clearly shows that he wasn't interested in "playing the hollywood" main stream game anymore. Combine this with the fact that he has let his low opinion on the Oscars and celebrity culture be known, as well as his body language and minimal words at the Venice film festival press conference for The Master. I think it all paints a picture that he's interested in the acting and not all the P.R. "fluff" that goes along with it... so, i'm not surprised really that he hasn't done any video interviews for The Master. Obviously as fans it's disappointing to a degree Cool

Although, as we know, he is also unpredictable... so if he won an Oscar, things could change again and you may see him on every chat show after that Flapper (Maybe that answers your question Joy Laugh)
Offline admin  
#370 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:58:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Joy,

You may get a kick out of this BigGrin

Do you think Joaquin's Freddie Quell in The Master looks and has mannerisms like Rigsby (Leonard Rossiter) in the TV show Rising Damp? Laugh

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

What do you think Joy and Sami? BigGrin

We've found Joaquin's inspiration! Flapper

Edited by user Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:19:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#371 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:00:59 AM(UTC)
joy

admin wrote:
Although, as we know, he is also unpredictable... so if he won an Oscar, things could change again and you may see him on every chat show after that Flapper (Maybe that answers your question Joy Laugh)

I was thinking maybe he'd be coerced into doing the chat shows when the Oscars jamboree gets under way in a bid for the Oscar. Not that I think he wants one especially; more that I wonder if he'll 'have' to do them in the same way he 'had' to do the interviews post "Oscars are bullshit" comments.

The PTA video was good. "We loved it. That's why we put it out." Laugh

Offline joy  
#372 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:04:12 AM(UTC)
joy

That's very funny Admin! I see what you mean! Laugh Laugh

But will Sami know who Rigsby is? Huh

When did you realise Joaquin's inspiration?

PS: Hello to all the viewers (40!!) *waves*

Edited by user Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:17:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#373 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:15:44 AM(UTC)
joy

Offline sami  
#374 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:05:23 PM(UTC)
sami

joy wrote:
I don’t think it’s that he shows his true colours as such. I think he’s unused to being challenged, surrounded as he is by acolytes and followers who accept his every word.

I know what you mean Joy, but I still think the bursts show his true colors. The reason I say this it is because if he ( Dodd) were so sure of himself, he wouldn't have any problem in being questioned regardless if he's used to it or not. It also shows how much stress he's under.

joy wrote:
Yes it does. It’s a bit more than just tired though…..a bit frayed around the edges and worn out kind of tired.

PTA has walked a marathon of interviews. There are so many ! All good ones ! I think knackered is a good adjective to describe him in that interview then...

joy wrote:
Do you think Joaquin will do any of the talk shows in the run up to the Oscars? Sami?

Joy, i have no idea. Initially I would say def not but I cannot predict the future. Joaquin is exercising his right to choose and only he knows what is right for him.

What about you? Do you think Joaquin will do any of the talk shows in the run up to the Oscars?

Admin,

Thank you very much for your take on what is going on with Joaquin. I always value your opinions because they are fair and balanced.

In any case, I was just thinking that it is also interesting to notice how people (and I mean gossip magazines and gossip in general) are more focused on Joaquin and not on what his words mean... Just sayin' RollEyes

Thank you guys, I love the Rigsby Pics !!! That's hilarious !! You know what was my fave BBC character as a kid? Frank Spencer !! I used to imitate him so well I became famous for it !! ahahaha!!
In any case, I don't think Freddie is based on Rigsby. The pics look similar but the video, in action, they don't have anything in common in my opinion!!

Edited by user Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:22:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#375 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 6:28:30 AM(UTC)
joy

sami wrote:
I know what you mean Joy, but I still think the bursts show his true colors. The reason I say this it is because if he ( Dodd) were so sure of himself, he wouldn't have any problem in being questioned regardless if he's used to it or not. It also shows how much stress he's under.

Yes, I can see what you're saying. People do use personal insults or avoidance tactics when questioned about something they know doesn't hold much weight.

sami wrote:
What about you? Do you think Joaquin will do any of the talk shows in the run up to the Oscars?

I've kind of answered this already in response to Admin's answer...

joy wrote:
I was thinking maybe he'd be coerced into doing the chat shows when the Oscars jamboree gets under way in a bid for the Oscar. Not that I think he wants one especially; more that I wonder if he'll 'have' to do them in the same way he 'had' to do the interviews post "Oscars are bullshit" comments.

Of course, like you, Sami I have no idea what will happen. I've already said that I wish Joaquin to have nothing to do with the Oscars and that since the whole thing makes him uncomfortable I wouldn't enjoy seeing any photos if he did show up. Maybe I'd feel the same about him being on chat shows....if he wasn't into it. We'll just have to see what happens.

PS: I hope all went well for you at the doctors or that you're feeling much better now. Smile

Edited by user Friday, November 30, 2012 6:55:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#376 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 12:12:11 PM(UTC)
sami

Joy,
In a way all characters in this movie have something annoying. They are all okay within their logic but insane when removed of their context . There's a thin line there. Laugh

Btw, the doctor said I'm 100% fine. U hear so many things .. I thought I had a cancer growing in there !!

Edited by user Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:32:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#377 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 5:56:26 AM(UTC)
sami

I enjoyed The first 15 m of this Amy Adams interview in which she talks about the filming process , her views on Peggy and more : http://www.youtube.com/w...v=dIFtcKovPvI&sns=em
Offline admin  
#378 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:44:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master' Tops Sight & Sound's Best Of 2012

I've only heard of two other films in the list! Confused
Offline admin  
#379 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:52:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Glad you are well Sami, we'd have lost half our active members on here if you left us! Flapper Stay fit and well for the sake of the Joaquin Phoenix forum! Cool
Offline joy  
#380 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:00:41 AM(UTC)
joy

Hi Sami & Admin,

Glad to hear that the doctor has given you a clean bill of health, Sami. Smile

Quote:
Glad you are well Sami, we'd have lost half our active members on here if you left us! Flapper Stay fit and well for the sake of the Joaquin Phoenix forum! Cool

Surely a third, Admin? Or don't you see yourself as an active member? Huh

sami wrote:
Joy,
In a way all characters in this movie have something annoying. They are all okay within their logic but insane when removed of their context . There's a thin line there. Laugh

Not sure that I understand this. Confused Although there probably is a fine line between sanity & insanity. Not sure if that's what you meant though.

admin wrote:
Paul Thomas Anderson's 'The Master' Tops Sight & Sound's Best Of 2012

I've only heard of two other films in the list!

Admin, the link opens to the page for me but the text of the article doesn't appear. Can you copy & paste the article? Or at least the list of films?

Thanks for the link to the Amy Adams interrview, Sami. It’s true what she says; that Peggy’s character is always a presence even though she’s not the central character. It seems that babies were a big presence on this film shoot. AA having her daughter with her and getting little sleep and PTA's wife giving birth during the filming.