JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1920212223>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#401 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:37:03 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hello Sami & Admin,

I’m just taking a breather to think about things and what I want to do.

Good to hear that Joaquin & The Master have been receiving some recognition from the critics. I’m sure there will be more awards to come. Joaquin better clear some space on his mantlepiece! BigGrin I can’t believe they chose Skyfall cinematography over The Master! Blink Must have been all the thrills, spills & explosions…..the scenes of the Scottish highlands were spectacular though.

Admin, I preferred the earlier series of Shooting Stars too and I remember Vic Reeves’ Big Night Out. I missed some of the shows because I was away much of the time but I used to watch them with my brother. I have a bit of a crush on Bob Mortimer. Blushing

Sami, I watched the first few episodes of Downton Abbey when it first aired here a couple of years ago but I haven’t watched any since. I’m a big Sherlock fan though and look forward to the new series, which I think is coming some time in the New Year. Cool

Love, joy
Offline admin  
#402 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:52:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
sami wrote:
I'm glad you asked me this question Admin. I like Dowton Abbey. I can't wait for season 3 !! I also watched 3 episodes is Sherlock Holmes ( the new version) and liked it very much.

Yes, that Dowon Abbey seems to be popular in both the U.S. and U.K. It's not my cuppa tea though Wink

sami wrote:
After watching Joaquin's face in The Master I can see the difference between good and bad actors. I think British tv shows have better actors than American. American TV actors barely have facial expression. They look like plastic barbies and Kens.

Yes, i think that's true Sami. British actors now head-up popular American TV series as American characters, i.e. Damian Lewis in "Homeland", Hugh Laurie in "House".

Also, did you know that the current "All American" super heroes in the latest incarnation of the films, Superman, Spiderman and Batman are all played by British actors.

Strange how that's turned-out, doesn't really say much for American actors Blink I guess it highlights what a Diamond in the rough Joaquin is! Cool

joy wrote:
Admin, I preferred the earlier series of Shooting Stars too and I remember Vic Reeves’ Big Night Out. I missed some of the shows because I was away much of the time but I used to watch them with my brother. I have a bit of a crush on Bob Mortimer.

You have a crush on Bob Mortimer! Blink I don't think i've ever heard anyone say that before! Are you feeling ok Joy LOL

And now for some Bottom while we wait for Joaquin to win more carrots:

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:02:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline admin  
#403 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:37:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

SAG (Screen Actors Guild) have announced their award nominations.

Joaquin completely snubbed! Angry Although, i'm sure Joaquin couldn't give a hoot Flapper

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook

Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables

Denzel Washington - Flight

John Hawkes - The Sessions

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alan Arkin - Argo
Javier Bardem - Skyfall

Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook

Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master

Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln

Only award nomination related to The Master was Philip Seymour Hoffman for supporting role.

SAG Award Nominations Announced

Surprises and Snubs of the SAG Award Nominations

The San Diego Film Critics Society didn't think Joaquin deserved to win best actor either Angry

San Diego Film Critics Choose "Argo!' Check Out Some Surprising Winners!

Those carrots taste nasty BigGrin

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:44:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#404 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:18:36 PM(UTC)
sami

Dear Joy,

Thank you very much for stopping by and letting me now what's up! I'm really glad to see you again. I wish there was a heart emoticon to post <3

About the award nominations, sorry I can't add my two cents I have no clue ..

Sherlock is great !! I was addicted to the novels as a kid . I'm a big Sherlock fan :) I love the way technology is integrated into the plot !

Admin , I'm sorry for the best actor category winner though .. He will only win because Joaquin refused to compete and will have to live with that for the rest of his life lol!

I also agree with the acting.. I really think there's something wrong there. I'm sure there must be great actors in the USA but probably they don't even bother to " get the carrot" ... Actually there is an American theatre scene that gets very few attention . I would guess most actors there are quite anti Hollywood. I got to meet a very established theater director once and saw what he does and it's amazing . Is very cool and the actors are great . Very few ppl knows about it though.

I like Dowton Abbey for the romances but the social class system isn't s omething I cherish for the record !! Oh I love Rik and Vivien. These two actors will always be Rik and Vivien to me !! Wink

Hugs,

Sami

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:11:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#405 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:19:47 PM(UTC)
sami

Have you guys seen this group yet ? They're mute actors. Their acting is based on facial expression and body language . They are very funny http://www.youtube.com/w...v=nBoW1xfHm0Y&sns=em

Let me know what u think !

Edited by user Friday, December 14, 2012 2:38:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#406 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:20:42 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
Oh I love Rik and Vivien. These two actors will always be Rik and Vivien to me !! Wink

Very impressed you know The Young Ones Sami! Cool
Offline admin  
#407 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:22:23 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Golden Globes nominations announced and they are dangling a carrot for Joaquin Flapper

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, "LINCOLN"
RICHARD GERE, "ARBITRAGE"
JOHN HAWKES, "THE SESSIONS"
JOAQUIN PHOENIX, "THE MASTER"
DENZEL WASHINGTON, "FLIGHT"

Golden Globe Awards Nominations: The Complete List

Of course, Joaquin has already tasted one of these carrots before for his role in Walk the line (best performance in a Comedy/Musical, this one is for drama). Cool
Offline admin  
#408 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:44:22 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

New interview with Joaquin in the UK Guardian newspaper:

"Mostly, though, Phoenix is just genial. He laughs almost constantly; a high guttural clucking, punctuated by long pauses and apologies and puffs on a breakfast cigarette. For one so self-conscious in his career choices, he's remarkably unself-regarding to talk to; almost as rackety and frank as Freddie Quell, his character in Paul Thomas Anderson's film – our movie of the year, of which his performance is the centrepiece."

Joaquin Phoenix: 'I feel like Santa Claus'

UserPostedImage

Also in a separate, but related, article in the UK Guardian newspaper:

"...And Phoenix's agonisingly intense and blazingly committed performance makes this our film of the year."

The 10 best films of 2012, No 1 – The Master

Edited by user Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:43:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#409 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:36:53 PM(UTC)
sami

Hey, of course i remember the young ones. There was a rerun on TV when I was a kid. Me and my bros had a blast watching it !!
I'm so tired today and I have nicotine withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by user Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:45:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#410 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:50:58 PM(UTC)
sami

Psychoanalytic review of The Master :

http://www.mindswork.co....he-compulsion-to-repeat/
Offline joy  
#411 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 5:07:07 AM(UTC)
joy

Aww, thanks, Sami. UserPostedImage

Admin, you're a mine of information! BigGrin Surely I can't be the only one to appreciate the lovliness that is Bob Mortimer?!

UserPostedImage

Laugh Wink

Some great and funny video clips there! Laugh Thanks for the trip down memory lane and a new find. Oh, and I luuuuuuuuuuurve The Young Ones!

LOL LOL Couldn't resist!

UserPostedImage Joaquin's carrot is happy. Who needs awards when you can get into the groove with Cliff! Laugh

Smile
Offline joy  
#412 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 6:54:42 AM(UTC)
joy

Thanks for the Guardian interview, Admin. Funny and astute.

Thanks too for the psychoanalysis article, Sami. I knew it! Laugh It would be interesting (to me) to read a Jungian perspective on the film.
Offline sami  
#413 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 10:35:25 AM(UTC)
sami

joy wrote:
Joaquin's carrot is happy.
Smile

What better prize than happiness ? I can't think of any !
Offline sami  
#414 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 10:37:49 AM(UTC)
sami

joy wrote:
Thanks for the Guardian interview, Admin. Funny and astute.

Thanks too for the psychoanalysis article, Sami. I knew it! Laugh It would be interesting (to me) to read a Jungian perspective on the film.

I'm not an expert but I thought the blog was interesting ! I'm gonna google Jung now. I've heard of him but don't know his ideas!

The interview was a bad trip for me and I was having nicotine withdrawal symptoms so first I took it in the wrong way. Crying

Edited by user Friday, December 14, 2012 2:37:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#415 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 3:23:12 PM(UTC)
sami

Hello, Joaquin, The Master has won much acclaim, yet it's also baffled people a bit. Why do you think people are so eager for answers – both about the film, and in life?
Are you fucking serious?
Yes.
Why wouldn't she be?
I don't fucking know. I don't know why people are eager for answers. I'm gonna say something that will probably offend somebody.
Why?
But the search for answers is why people are susceptible to the likes of Dodd, right?
I guess. I do agree that by their nature humans are very inquisitive. But I don't know why. I think related to the film … oh fuck it, I'm just gonna offend somebody; I should just shut up.
Why ? Do you mean you haven't thought about it enough?
No, go on.
No, I got nothing to say!
OK, why do people want to place their faith in other people?
Isn't it just real simple? Our awareness of our mortality, and how that terrifies us.
Does it for you?
I think it drives everybody in some way. As you become older you become increasingly aware of your mortality. It's a subconscious thing – I don't think you wake up every day and go: 'Fuck me, I'm dying, I'd better do something.' I think early on the drive is just that people tell you you're supposed to be driven, you're supposed to do something by the time you're 25; to have gone to college or got married, and then at some point your drive is just that you're aware of your mortality. That's just my theory.
I agree, I've gone through this , it makes sense to me.
To what extent do you think Freddie changes?
An eternal lasting change? I dunno. There's no one great epiphanous moment. That felt accurate. Things do change and then he just reverts back to his animalistic self.
But he is not the same person as in the beginning...
Is Freddie just more honest than most people?
He's perceived as the nut-job, but he's consistent and honest whereas everyone else is talking rubbish.

Sure, that makes sense.
What do you mean? Are you saying "it make sense" like anything else could make sense so basicaly are you saying her idea is worthless?
Are people overly hung up on the ability of people to change?
I think whether you like it or not you're going to change in some ways. I don't know. I don't care anything about it.
Why not?
How much of you is in Freddie?
I don't know. It's hard. Can you really accurately analyse yourself?
No.
It's always difficult to go: 'Oh, this is me and this isn't me.' But of course there's elements of yourself in every character. I think it is just you, really. I'm sorry. I honestly don't think about things that much.
Why not?
Sure, that's fine. This is good.
Well, you have very low standards.
She is being polite I guess.
Thank you. Well, you take what you can get. So what do you think about?
Ha ha ha ha ha. No, no, no, no, no. Who cares?
I care.
Well, that's very sweet of you. We'll have tea sometime and we can talk about it.
So you're basically saying you don't have any opinion about anything? It can't possibly make sense !
OK. Can I ask you two more questions?
Yes.
So I'm treating you, in this situation, like a sage, like you have all the answers. Is that a common experience for you?
No, is it to common for you to be treated like the Master?

Oh no! Fuck no! You're just asking questions to which you know better answers. That's not the feeling that I'm getting from this at all. I wish I was because I'm sure it must feel nice.
Do you ever feel like that?
No, I don't. I think that sometimes maybe I feel like Santa Claus at a mall when a kid wants to take your picture.
Kids try to take your picture?
No, I'm thinking about the other night. I went to see this band and this guy came up and said: 'Oh, can I take a picture of you; I'm a real fan.' And I said: 'Look, man, I just got here, if it's OK, I don't wanna just walk in and take a picture – it'd make me feel awkward.' And he just turned and walked away, very angry at me. It didn't seem like it was someone you revere, it was more like I was some three-headed bullfrog they wanted to snap a picture of.
That doesn't sound good.
I agree. People can be really selfish !
I think that I'd actually prefer that but I'm just saying I don't have the experience of being treated with great reverence.
No, because you don't want to.
But to be a three-headed bullfrog is to be a freak.
Yeah, but I'd rather just be a fucking little Santa Claus than someone treated with some reverence. And by the way, that happens maybe once every 17 and a half years so it's not something that I deal with on a regular occurrence.
Seriously?
I think part of it is you can either go places where that's bound to happen. And honestly I haven't been in that many successful movies.
That's crazy.
No, it's true! I'm not complaining. But it's funny you would ask about people talking to me with reverence because I don't really have that experience.
Do you feel more more like Freddie, then? Do you fall under the influence of people?
No.
Is it true that Paul Thomas Anderson asked you to be in Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood?
Ah, who knows?
So, there's this quote from Baudelaire …
Who?
The French poet.
Oh yeah, the guy who invented the bicycle.
Oh, did he? I don't know.
I'm fucking with you.
OK! It's hard to know.
I'm sorry.
Anyway, he said: "All prizes demean those who receive them."
Where are you from?
Why?
London.
I just worked with Samantha Morton and you sound very like her. But she's not from London I think.
I think she's more from the Midlands.
Did I offend you by saying that?
A little bit.
However, I will say this, it think she was doing a bit of an accent.
What's the film?
It's called Her [directed by Spike Jonze]. It hasn't come out yet.
There's that line in the film: "You've wandered from the proper path." Is there a proper path? And should people wander from it?
I think a proper path is subjective. I don't really believe in absolutes. There's not just one fucking proper path. Everyone has different need and different desire and different things they're trying to explore and understand; I don't think there is a proper path. But if there is and I'm wrong and you find out you better fucking call me and tell me I don't have any kind of guarantee about there being a proper path.
But people talk about a righteous way.
The righteous way is listening to your needs.
Oh, come on, that's totally subjective.
I agree.
Yeah, but what else is there?
I don't know.
You don't know or you don't want to know?
Well, if you find out you better let me know too. What will people say about the film in 20 years?
You must understand I really don't read reviews or the press … I don't know what people will say in 20 years. I don't even know what they're saying about it now.
Do you care at all?
I think in some ways the answer is yes. You work on something that you hope will maybe resonate for people at some point, but am I going to think about it for the next 20 years? No. There's no telling. They love and celebrate
OK. Is there anything you'd like to say to people?
There's nothing in particular I feel I want to say, and when I do I usually call one of my friends and that usually does the job. But if I have a need to, like, address maybe more than five people I'll give you a call.
Good. You sound really happy. Are you happy?
Yeah, I mean … I'm just whatever. I think sometimes doing interviews is very funny. And I'm happy because I'm going meet a friend and meet a fighter who I liked for a couple of years. So I'm excited.
Like a boxer?
He's a mixed martial arts fighter. He does a particular form I really like and he's just really amazing and it's really exciting to watch him fight.
Have a good time.
I'm really sorry, I'm just too dim to have any sort of philosophical conversation. We should talk about Tabasco or something.
Where are you from?
Offline admin  
#416 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 10:52:23 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

More award carrots for The Master and Joaquin:

"It may have struggled to gain a foothold this week with groups like SAG and the HFPA, but "The Master" remains a pet of the critical community that has championed it since the fall. Right after The Guardian team named it the top film of 2012, Paul Thomas Anderson's thorny character study received further good news today from the Chicago Film Critics' Association, as it led their nominations list with a whopping 10 mentions."

'The Master' leads with 10 Chicago critics' nods

Edited by user Monday, December 17, 2012 6:49:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#417 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:36:33 AM(UTC)
sami

Well, the movie speaks for itself. It's nice that the quality is recognized. I can't say I care much about the Oscars, honestly. It's not important to me ! In any case it wil be interesting t see who they nominate !

Joy, The Young Ones we are talking about was a BBC series from the Tatcher era ... Did you get to watch it? It was just a bunch of guys doing damage , haha !

So , I've been thinking about Joaquin's attitude in the last interview. This attitude of I don't care, I don't know, I don't want to talk about it, etc. It's not because he doesn't care, it's because he doesn't want to say something that can be interpreted badly . That's why he said " Let's talk about Tabasco.
In any case, the way I which he expresses himself best is through the acting not through the interviews. I guess I see how amazing he is on screen and I expect to find an amazing person in the interviews and instead you find a grumpy punk and it breaks the magic.. But in any case it could be all a persona he's created becaus he's reprterdly very shy .. I will never know U guess. Sigh
Offline admin  
#418 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:48:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Sami,

If you didn't know the cast of The Young Ones TV show did a remake of Cliff Richards' "Living Doll" song with Cliff:

Maybe Joy was alluding to that? Huh

Regarding Joaquin and interviews, i think that he's just as puzzled as i am by some of the questions celebrities get asked in interviews. I mean, seriously, actors and actresses get asked all kinds of questions, some with a very very loose link to the film they happen to be doing at the time. Why doesn't the interviewer ask an actor, say, a question about acting? Blink Actors, for the most part, are very simply people (maybe it makes it easier to act, if you don't think too much), which makes some of the questions they get asked in interviews even more bewildering.

Edited by user Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:09:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#419 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:37:19 AM(UTC)
joy

Hello Sami & Admin,

sami wrote:
Joy, The Young Ones we are talking about was a BBC series from the Tatcher era ... Did you get to watch it? It was just a bunch of guys doing damage , haha !

Yes, Sami, I'm familiar with the series and I did get to watch some of them back in the day. They're very funny. I was just being very silly, in my own way, posting the Cliff Richards' Young Ones video. Smile

I didn't understand why you'd posted the interview in full after Admin had posted the link, but I see now that you've added some of your own thoughts to the body of the text. I also think that his attitude is one of whatever he says it will be interpreted wrongly, or mis-represented, or he’ll offend someone or that it’ll be ignored or something along those lines. There seems to be echoes of the Oscars episode…she’s fishing and Joaquin’s resisting. He side-steps her line of questioning re: Baudelaire, perhaps because he realises where it might be leading. It’s difficult to tell, but it’s like someone who’s expressed some heartfelt opinions, had their hands slapped for doing so and now feels a bit petulant or sickened. I’m not putting him down. I feel for him. Like I said, it’s difficult to tell without hearing his voice. Maybe I’m wrong.

Admin, I can't help wondering if the journo had her tongue in her cheek with this interview and some of the questions she posed. I mean, he’s acted a character in a film…if she asked the questions with Freddie in mind – his experience, motivation, philosophy and so on - then OK; however, she’s asking Joaquin, as if he’s some kind of guru. She even says at some point that she’s treating him like a Sage. It’s bizarre…and kinda funny.

I wonder if Joaquin is chewing his fingernails over whether he'll be an Oscar nominee or not? Probably not.

Btw, this is a pic of Joaquin & the martial arts fighter he went to see (mentioned in the interview)

UserPostedImage

Offline joy  
#420 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:09:05 AM(UTC)
joy

Admin, I remember the Cliff Richards & Young Ones Living Doll. Did you know that Neil put out a song too?