JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#21 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:59:20 AM(UTC)
sami
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,025

The last paragraph of the interview actually is subjective opinion from the journalist, it distracted me from Joaquin's comments . I love honesty.It's music to the ears ^_^


“I think there’s a lot of truth and wonderful things that are said at the awards and sometimes there are candidates that really deserve the kind of recognition up there, but often times there is the elements of political campaigns that feel false. I think that kind of phoniness overwhelms me and I think that’s maybe what I meant, but, listen, there are wonderful artists that wouldn’t have the opportunity to create if it weren’t for the recognitions that they get so it’s certainly not all bullshit.”


Phoenix’s main disdain for awards stems from their seductive nature, which he thinks everyone is susceptible to. “It breeds a sense of awareness that is not good, particularly when that becomes the goal of actors. So there are some potential hazards that I think you have to be aware of to not let it go to your head,”


Nonetheless, the social aspects of the nominations were too uncomfortable for him to bear. “I don’t want to be around 200 people where you just make small talk,” he exclaims, waving his hand dismissively. “You’re going like fuck, I just spent 8 hours at this thing and I was with all these people and I never talked to anybody really. I don’t like that feeling; you always kind of leave feeling a little empty.”

“Sometimes, I think actors don’t really deserve credit for the performances in some ways because I’ve seen performances shaped so much by the director,” Phoenix exclaims. “I guarantee you that if you saw the unedited film, I don’t think you would talk about my performance in a positive way. I think you might say that there were some moments that were good and then you’d say there were things so fucking bad that you can’t imagine that I’m a paid actor. So it’s hard for me ever to take credit for a performance,” he laughs.

Yet, Paul Thomas Anderson told me earlier that he offered the 37-year-old actor little direction, allowing him to freely form the character as he saw fit. “Paul’s really humble,” Phoenix chuckles, shaking his head. “I know that he feels that he’s very free and doesn’t control things but he does in a very subtle way to allow actors to feel that it is their own experience. I think that really good directors sometimes won’t directly say do this but they give you information that you can derive something about the character.”


Nonetheless, the experience of making I’m Still Here has profoundly changed his perspective on acting and deepened his understanding of himself. “I think that when I was younger I tried to really control my performances and I tried to really plan things out and I took a certain pride in the amount of work that I had done. At some point I felt in some ways that I was preventing myself from discovering things that maybe were beyond my understanding at the time when I was studying it and that the best thing was to study and work and come up with my plan but to be completely open to whatever may happen in the moment and that really came to pass when I did I’m Still Here and then led into this movie.”

Listening to Phoenix speaking about acting with such passion, enthusiasm and deep appreciation, one would doubt that he had or would ever contemplate quitting his coveted craft. It’s evident, however, that he loathes the inevitable social aspects and the hazardous fame that come with it.

“I don’t want to feel like I’m this different thing or that I am like special in some way; it makes me feel funny,” he reflects. “I’m shy and it’s uncomfortable, and you navigate it because you have no choice,” he laughs in resignation.


UserPostedImage


BTW, did you see what Joaquin is doing? His interviewer is Arabic Smile the previous was African-American.. Is he challenging the stereotypes?

Edited by user Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:37:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#22 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:37:29 AM(UTC)
joy
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 8/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,236
Location: Where the heart is.

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi Sami Smile

Joaquin's birthday is tomorrow, October 28th. He'll be 38 years young. Oh, and the clocks go back an hour from midnight tonight too, so don't forget: I usually do. Huh

I was wondering when we would get the press from the Four Seasons session and here it is! Thanks for posting. Smile I was a bit confused at first though because I thought the blue and red one were different interviews, but they're not are they? Huh

Joaquin did this after Venice, didn't he? Said that he was misunderstood and that he wasn't being rude or anything, etc. I wonder if this press call at The Four Seasons was, you know....

joaquin wrote:
Having said that, Phoenix appreciates the profound positive impact his Oscar nominations – for portraying Johnny Cash in Walk The Line (2006) and Commodus in The Gladiator (2001) – have had on his life. “It’s undeniable that my career would be in a very different place if it wasn’t for that experience,” he says. “Typically I haven’t been in films that have made an exorbitant amount of money and that’s typically how actors oftentimes are allowed to continue to do quality work as they are considered successful.”


And, I would like to hear from the journo who did the 'Interview' interview because he might have a different opinion about the carrot. Oh well....

Now we know what the answer to the CRAP TV celebrity reporter's question is, don't we?

sami wrote:
BTW, did you see what Joaquin is doing? His interviewer is Arabic Smile the previous was African-American.. Is he challenging the stereotypes?

I don't understand why you say this. What do you mean? Confused






Edited by user Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:48:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#23 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:58:17 AM(UTC)
joy
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 8/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,236
Location: Where the heart is.

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Forgot to mention.... I love the Art Tatum tune! Really! BigGrin

Offline sami  
#24 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:40:23 AM(UTC)
sami
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,025

joy wrote:
Hi Sami Smile

Joaquin's birthday is tomorrow, October 28th. He'll be 38 years young. Oh, and the clocks go back an hour from midnight tonight too, so don't forget: I usually do. Huh


Hi JOy, In the USA the time changes the first Sunday in November , a week later than in Europe. Its always confuzing !!!

joy wrote:
I was wondering when we would get the press from the Four Seasons session and here it is! Thanks for posting. Smile I was a bit confused at first though because I thought the blue and red one were different interviews, but they're not are they? Huh


No, it can't be the Four Seasons session because they did it after InterviewMag one.
I changed colors of the text from blue to brown because I prefer brown. It's not red,btw, it's brown, LOL


joy wrote:


Now we know what the answer to the CRAP TV celebrity reporter's question is, don't we
?


I got lost Blink

joy wrote:

I don't understand why you say this. What do you mean?
Confused


Oh nevermind , I think I was a bit offBlink

I'm so glad you loved the Art Tatum video. Ineed to listen to his music more!

Nice avatar Cool


I wanted to ask whether any of you know this account is for real:
https://twitter.com/jrphoenix

It doesn't look like it to me but it has the verified check ... if it's stolen perhaps someone should tell Joaquin publicist to take it down?







Edited by user Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:56:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#25 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:26:36 PM(UTC)
joy
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 8/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,236
Location: Where the heart is.

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
sami wrote:
Hi JOy, In the USA the time changes the first Sunday in November , a week later than in Europe. Its always confuzing !!!

As if life's not confusing enough!

sami wrote:
No, it can't be the Four Seasons session because they did it after InterviewMag one.

Oh, the journo says it was at the 4 Seasons. Huh
Recently Joaquin Phoenix rattled the film industry when he dismissed the Academy Awards during an interview with Interview magazine, as ‘bullshit’ and the ‘worst-tasting carrot’ he had ever had in his whole life. But when I chat to him at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills where he has come to promote his new movie The Master, the two-time Academy nominee denied using the word carrot.
sami wrote:
I changed colors of the text from blue to brown because I prefer brown. It's not red,btw, it's brown, LOL

Oh, it looks red to me.
sami wrote:
Nice avatarCool

I like yours too. I did notice it before. Smile
I have no idea about the Twitter account and even if it's stolen or bogus I have no idea how to get in touch with Joaquin's publicist either.
The moon is becoming full. Maybe that's why we're both in a strange mood.
Offline sami  
#26 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:36:00 PM(UTC)
sami
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,025

I think I have ADD Woot

but I agree with you. I think I generally agree with you 90% of the time Smile

I see you logged off. I hope you're not mad at me.. We'll talk more another day ..

Edited by user Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:42:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#27 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:04:50 PM(UTC)
joy
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 8/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,236
Location: Where the heart is.

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
No, I'm not mad at anyone today. Laugh Wink

I have to go now. Hugs! *waves*
Offline sami  
#28 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:19:36 PM(UTC)
sami
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,025

I have to go now too !

C U soon xx
Offline sami  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:38:57 PM(UTC)
sami
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,025

Film Critic Elvis Mitchell on That Joaquin Phoenix Interview
http://www.mediabistro.c...w-joaquin-phoenix_b75932

In the October issue of Interview magazine, Joaquin Phoenix made headlines when he told film curator and journalist Elvis Mitchell that the awards season is “total, utter bullsh*t.”

However, that statement was the least interesting part of the interview according to Mitchell.

“There is a pretty lengthy part of the conversation that is about race, which I thought was as worthy if not more so as to what he was saying about awards season,” Mitchell said in the latest installment of Mediabistro’s So What Do You Do series.

“That he walked away from a movie because he wasn’t happy with the way it was being handled, and he thought there was this inertia that plays on this really antiquated attitude towards people of color in the movies. And so far as I can see, almost nobody picked that up. I thought that would have been the thing that had people really jumping.”

---

Elvis Mitchell is right . Lets see if the tabloids pick that up now ...

Edited by user Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:44:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#30 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 5:58:26 PM(UTC)
sami
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 9/20/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,025

Bummer, they archived the interview ! I was looking for that comment he made refusing to play franchise movies, being afraid to make so much money that it would mess up with his head and knowing people who never made it back to their usual selves.. I always wonder if he meant RDJ.. I used to like him be4 IronMan, Sherlock and all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9ZA8w_m8U

Watch this , lol
Offline joy  
#31 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:16:32 AM(UTC)
joy
Rank: Master of Joaquin

Reputation:

Groups:
Joined: 8/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,236
Location: Where the heart is.

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I Googled the interview and it's still online but the link is different now....

http://www.interviewmaga...om/film/joaquin-phoenix#

I can only think of 3 films that I’ve seen RDJ in and none of them are the comic book ones or Sherlock. Funny video. Sweet that he paid tribute to his fan who died. I’ve posted RDJ’s Jodie Foster speech intro over in the GG thread, btw, if you want to watch. Joaquin features in it.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.399 seconds.