JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:46:01 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)

http://www.interviewmaga...hoenix#slideshow_44593.1

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:59:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:00:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
That's a great informal interview, almost like listening in on two old friends. I wish it was video recorded interview instead of written though, would like to see the mannerisms and gesticulations that accompany the comments from Joaquin BigGrin
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 3:08:44 AM(UTC)
sami

I have been trying to log in for the past 12hours, finally ! Admin, there was a problem, it wouldn't even show the forum main page. I didn't know how to tell you! Well, I'm glad it's fixed now. I was dying to comment on this interview. It helps so much to understand him. As a fan I appreciate that ! I will be back during the weekend. I want to say more .. For now , Joaquin : Your fans stand beside you, doesn't matter what the press says! We know what really matters :)
Offline admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 3:39:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Sami,

Nice to see you! BigGrin Yes, the forums been up, down, up, down, up, down unfortunately. Mad

I've been on to the hosting company. hopefully they'll show some competence and get it resolved.Mellow

Offline joy  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 4:34:03 AM(UTC)
joy

I had trouble viewing the forum last night too. A page came up saying there had been a serious error loading the forum and to contact the administrator if it kept happening. Glad you're on the case, Admin.

admin wrote:
That's a great informal interview, almost like listening in on two old friends. I wish it was video recorded interview instead of written though, would like to see the mannerisms and gesticulations that accompany the comments from Joaquin

I agree; there's a real sense of conversation going on rather than just a Q&A session.

sami wrote:
It helps so much to understand him. As a fan I appreciate that ! I will be back during the weekend. I want to say more .. For now , Joaquin : Your fans stand beside you, doesn't matter what the press says! We know what really matters :)

Joaquin's comment about the Oscars (or rather, a snippet of all that Joaquin has to say about the Oscars) has been in a lot of the press and media here. Not front-page news but a mention nonetheless. I think it's a brilliant interview. There's a lot to take in and digest though and I need to read it again but I'm sure there's something I'd like to say and will do.

Btw: I think the accompanying photo is just wonderful. Joaquin's face looks so elastic and pliable as if it's made of putty.

Offline admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 7:32:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

From comments on the the internet from people who read the interview it appears Joaquin has lots of support for his views on The Oscars. I personally agree with the sentiment of his message, it really is just an annual soulless, backslapping, hyped up dog and pony show to keep the masses distracted for another day when they should really be interested in other things in their own lives. People have allowed "the powers that be" to use entertainment to take up far too much of their lives (the old Roman empire bread and circuses technique).

Anyway, it would be great now to see Joaquin nominated for an Oscar and to win it, it would just be an interesting situation to see now after Joaquin's comments... i bet he'd handle it great! BigGrin
Offline sami  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 1:46:16 PM(UTC)
sami

Admin,
I agree w you, it's bread and circus. I agree w Joaquin too. For an artist who uses his/her heart , his/her work is so personal , it's a part of themselves . To take that and put it in a context where it can win or loose its a huge stress and a nonsense. Art shouldn't be competitive because it's based on creativity and there aren't rights or wrongs or better than.. It's so artificial! Why do we let it happen?

I love the interview because he pretty much answered every question I had as of lately !

The racism comments surprised me. I didnt know he's sensitive to that. I noticed the same when I go to the movies and I wonder how black people must feel. In any case, the Latino cliche is even worse than the African-American. They're portrayed as criminals very often . What about the Muslim cliche? Ok let's not go there !

His comment about the 13 year old girl .. It surprised me. Sometimes I feel guilty for having what I have and I feel selfish , others I envy other people bec they had it better .. There is always a worse and a better . This girl , at least she has food, a roof, and she has both hands . Think about children in Syria, other countries , how many of them are being killed as we speak ? If you start thinking this way you can't live . Having the opportunity to live and not doing so when others would gladly live and can't, would be a crime. This is the way I look at it.

I understand about $20M .. If I had it I would be thinking about it all the time .

Joy, I like the pic too. The interview is very controversial so I think the pic fits very well. He could easily get punched by someone for his words ! (Not me)

Edited by user Friday, October 19, 2012 1:52:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:54:01 PM(UTC)
sami

Well, ppl are saying he will win the Oscar anyway . What do you think? I think he will win it too. Perhaps once you see the movie you'll know for sureHuh
Offline joy  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:11:02 PM(UTC)
joy

Hi Admin & Sami,

Joaquin says “It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when ‘Walk the Line’ was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again.” In that case, I hope the Academy respects his feelings and doesn’t nominate him, no matter how deserving he is of a nomination or an award. None of this will spoil my going to see the film – I’m still looking forward to it! But I don’t think I would get any enjoyment out of seeing any photos or footage if he is persuaded to participate in all the awards stuff after all, now that I know how he feels and how uncomfortable he would be. I respect that he’s tasted that carrot once and doesn’t want to taste it again.

sami wrote:
The racism comments surprised me. I didnt know he's sensitive to that.

I don’t recall Joaquin ever bringing this subject up in interviews before but maybe because the subject has been on his mind lately (the film meeting and his experience with the kids) and the guy interviewing him is black, Joaquin just felt comfortable enough to discuss what had happened.

Something I read about Will Smith a few years back came to mind:
Will Smith claims he was forbidden from kissing Cameron Diaz on screen because of American racism. The actor said Hollywood panders to the nation's problem of seeing a black man and white woman getting intimate and stopped the co-stars kissing in new movie 'Hitch'. To avoid controversy, Smith says he smooched Latin beauty Eva Mendes instead. The 36-year-old 'Men in Black' star said: "How are you not going to consider Cameron Diaz? But Hollywood is nervous about a black man kissing a white woman on screen. "That becomes massive news in the US. Outside America, it's no big deal. But in the US, it's still a racial issue. Ironically, Hollywood is happy to do it if the film is about racism. But they won't simply do it and ignore it."

sami wrote:
I understand about $20M .. If I had it I would be thinking about it all the time.

I’d spend it! I’ll leave you to imagine what I’d spend it on though. I’d like to think I was strong enough to handle having that kind of money but it’s easy to say that when you don’t have it and I’m sure it would come with all sorts of other stuff which is alien to my life atm. Seems to me that Joaquin knows how seductive to the ego it would all be.

I think it’s sad that Joaquin is unable to enjoy films because, like a magician, he knows everything that happens. I really like (some) old black & white films and sometimes it’s pretty damn obvious that the characters are not in a car driving along a real road, for example, but that doesn’t spoil my enjoyment of the film because I’m able to suspend disbelief and enjoy the dialogue or story. One of the perks of being a film-goer rather than an actor, I guess.

sami wrote:
Joy, I like the pic too. The interview is very controversial so I think the pic fits very well. He could easily get punched by someone for his words ! (Not me)

And how! (me neither)

About ISH: I was sceptical about the reality of it all from the start, wondering if it was going to be ‘Spinal Rap’ or something along those lines. I had it in my head that perhaps some of it was Joaquin’s way of making a statement about the media regarding what had happened to him when his brother died and the emergency call was broadcast everywhere. I mean, up to the point where Joaquin ‘retired’ and started on his rap ‘career’ practically everything written about him, interviews he gave, etc., would mention the phone call. Joaquin even spoke about it when he came out of rehab after filming ‘Walk the Line’:

“You know, the press has kind of imposed upon me the title of Mourning Brother, and because I haven’t been vocal about it, the assumption is that I’m holding onto this (stuff) that’s just not there.”

On another occasion he said:

“When my brother passed it was toward the end of an era. If it had happened much later, it would have been on a lot of fucking blogs. The amount of information flying back and forth now has just gone beyond comprehension… In some ways it’s hard to swallow. It makes you feel sick about yourself and about human beings. You look at yourself and say, ‘When have I exploited others and been voyeuristic?’ The thing we should be discussing in the news, what the media should be going after in a heartless way, isn’t the family of somebody who has passed away, but instead – oh, I don’t know – how about a president who’s lying? That’s not to say my brother’s life didn’t have value, but it certainly did not deserve to be covered more than world politics and other important issues, particularly when death happens every day to millions of people all over the world and we don’t seem to give a fuck about that.”

So, I was thinking to myself whilst all that rap stuff was going on and the whole thing was going nuts in the media (blogs, message boards, social media and fan forums included) and we were watching it unfold, that Joaquin was manipulating (for want of another word) things in such a way that from now on, this is what he would be remembered for, and not the phone call. I didn’t think it was the sole reasoning behind ISH and the rap stuff, but that it was in there somewhere.

When I went to see the film I knew it wasn’t ‘real’. But there was one scene where Joaquin cries off camera and I felt that was the only real thing in the entire film and hearing him cry like that was just too much for me. It was that part which I felt like punching him for. Not because he was crying but because of the phone call. The thing is, unlike some fans I’ve not heard that phone call and never have had any desire whatsoever to hear it. Not even a smidgeon of curiosity to listen to it. I can’t adequately explain what happened with that scene and its effect on me and I can’t explain how I felt either. It’s one of those things where you feel something, like being in love for example, but just can’t express it in words. You just know that you feel something and the whole thing makes sense in that feeling. Wanting to punch Joaquin was because he ‘made’ me feel the way I did at that time. That I had heard something private that I shouldn’t have. After all, he cried off camera, not on.

Whilst I’m on the subject….I’m not the best Joaquin fan in the world but no one could ever say anything to me that could justify the release and broadcast of that phone call. It was a gross breach of professional conduct by the emergency services and a gross breach of caller confidentiality. This whole thing fills me with rage! Livid!

Think what you like about me. I know my reaction to the crying in the film was irrational but everyone else seems to be getting things off their chests lately as far as Joaquin’s concerned and this has been on mine for a long time, so why not me now? If you’re reading this Joaquin, please understand that it’s not my intention to cause offence to you.

Offline sami  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 5:28:28 AM(UTC)
sami

Hi Joy,

I just read your post. I don't think you are bad fan , silly you !! There is no such thing :) i just want to tell u to remember that ish was an act. He wasn't really crying.

I didn't listen the phone call either and I don't want to . I agree, it's a horrible thing to do , the snooping on other people's private life, specially after something like this happens. It would be interesting to study why humans do such things, this would be a PHD topic in itself!

Listen, i spoke my mind about the interview and i just mentioned the topics I would argue, but there are other things he said that I loved. The way he approaches acting for example .. . I think Joaquin has a lot of integrity !!

I love the fact that he is sticking for his actions and words. When he did ISH I thought he would try to pretend like it didn't happen and continue doing films like before , but he isn't doing that. He is making a statement and he isn't backing down . I love it.

Punch- Drunk-Love

I wanna punch Joaquin too !
Offline sami  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 5:43:27 AM(UTC)
sami

I would give away most of the money to influence the world . I would invest it in projects that helped people and protected the environment. Then I would give money to all my family members and then I would keep some for my savings. I thought about it already . I would get rid of a big chunk of money as fast as possible !!!

What would you do?

Edited by user Monday, October 22, 2012 8:37:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:02:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
I would give away most of the money to influence the world . I would invest it in projects that helped people and protected the environment. Then I would give money to all my family members and then I would keep some for my savings. I thought about it already . I would get rid of a big chunk of money as fast as possible !!!

What would you do?

I would pay to upgrade the hosting of this forum to be on a better server, so it's not up and down like a yo-yo Flapper (BTW, i'm still getting on to the hosting company, i will prevail!)
Offline sami  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:42:14 AM(UTC)
sami

joy wrote:
Hi Admin & Sami,
Joaquin says “It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when ‘Walk the Line’ was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again.” In that case, I hope the Academy respects his feelings and doesn’t nominate him, no matter how deserving he is of a nomination or an award. None of this will spoil my going to see the film – I’m still looking forward to it! But I don’t think I would get any enjoyment out of seeing any photos or footage if he is persuaded to participate in all the awards stuff after all, now that I know how he feels and how uncomfortable he would be. I respect that he’s tasted that carrot once and doesn’t want to taste it again.

Hi Joy,
I agree with you in that it would be wrong for Joaquin to be persuaded to go to the Oscars. Imagine he's nominated and he has to go, knowing the way he feels, it would be excruciating to watch. Thanks for making me see it this way !

Another proof Oscars are a joke: Annette Benning didn't win it last year for The Kids are Alright. Instead Natalie Portman won it for the Black Swan. Always pretty young female wins. If we follow this logic you need to feel bad for Brad Pitt. You can tell he would have really liked to get one. He's showed up almost every year for his nominations, always faithful and believing and he's never got it. I think the academy likes to nominate him because of his celebrity status and the buzz he generates. I would give him one just for perseverance.

sami wrote:
The racism comments surprised me. I didnt know he's sensitive to that.

joy wrote:
I don’t recall Joaquin ever bringing this subject up in interviews before but maybe because the subject has been on his mind lately (the film meeting and his experience with the kids) and the guy interviewing him is black, Joaquin just felt comfortable enough to discuss what had happened.

Something I read about Will Smith a few years back came to mind:
Will Smith claims he was forbidden from kissing Cameron Diaz on screen because of American racism. The actor said Hollywood panders to the nation's problem of seeing a black man and white woman getting intimate and stopped the co-stars kissing in new movie 'Hitch'. To avoid controversy, Smith says he smooched Latin beauty Eva Mendes instead. The 36-year-old 'Men in Black' star said: "How are you not going to consider Cameron Diaz? But Hollywood is nervous about a black man kissing a white woman on screen. "That becomes massive news in the US. Outside America, it's no big deal. But in the US, it's still a racial issue. Ironically, Hollywood is happy to do it if the film is about racism. But they won't simply do it and ignore it."

Thanks for this quote. It's a shame that a black man can't kiss a white woman in a movie. What is really revealing is that they would let it happen if the movie was about "racism" but not if the movie was just regular.. This shows the hypocrisy.. like "yes, we really mean it"
My city is very divers but it's very segregated. In contrast, I remember that my first impression of London was how cosmopolitan it looked. I saw a lot of of mixed couples in the street. In the USA I rarely see it.

sami wrote:
I understand about $20M .. If I had it I would be thinking about it all the time.

joy wrote:
I’d spend it! I’ll leave you to imagine what I’d spend it on though. I’d like to think I was strong enough to handle having that kind of money but it’s easy to say that when you don’t have it and I’m sure it would come with all sorts of other stuff which is alien to my life atm. Seems to me that Joaquin knows how seductive to the ego it would all be.

My guess: You would spend the money in a big garden and a greenhouse. Perhaps even build a landscaping company ! You'd also trvel to Indonesia to look for exotic plantsBigGrin

Regarding Joaquin, I think it's very sweet of him to not want the money. Just think about it, he can actually have it but he chooses not to. This alone, WOW ... Love

joy wrote:
Smile I think it’s sad that Joaquin is unable to enjoy films because, like a magician, he knows everything that happens. I really like (some) old black & white films and sometimes it’s pretty damn obvious that the characters are not in a car driving along a real road, for example, but that doesn’t spoil my enjoyment of the film because I’m able to suspend disbelief and enjoy the dialogue or story. One of the perks of being a film-goer rather than an actor, I guess.

Yes,I know what you mean, you end up suggesting yourself to believe it's true. I do that to with old films as well. They have this sweet naivety to them.Smile

Joaquin said in the interview that sometimes he manages to forget about the process and just enjoy the film when it's a really good one.

---

I will continue with the rest of your message another time. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts Joy. I hope you don't mind all the going back and forth !
Smile

Edited by user Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:47:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:03:29 PM(UTC)
sami

admin wrote:
sami wrote:

What would you do?

I would pay to upgrade the hosting of this forum to be on a better server, so it's not up and down like a yo-yo Flapper (BTW, i'm still getting on to the hosting company, i will prevail!)

Admin, thank you so much for taking care of this problem ThumpUp
Offline sami  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:37:05 PM(UTC)
sami

[
admin wrote:
From comments on the the internet from people who read the interview it appears Joaquin has lots of support for his views on The Oscars.

AWESOME ThumpUp

admin wrote:
... it really is just an annual soulless, backslapping, hyped up dog and pony show to keep the masses distracted for another day when they should really be interested in other things in their own lives.

WELL SAID ThumpUp I have fallen for it many times too. I am trying to not watch TV shows.. It's hard not to !! It's like a drug Crying

admin wrote:
People have allowed "the powers that be" to use entertainment to take up far too much of their lives (the old Roman empire bread and circuses technique).

Yes, I agree, in general we have been numb for a long time. Lots of people still are. For a long time we were just a piece for the machine to work. I believe In part, we are breaking the patterns thanks to the internet. There is more information, and not just one source but many sources. People can talk about the news, and can actually spread the news.. It's fantastic. There is so much potential and creativity. I learned to think for myself online, not in school or in my own family. I owe this to the internet !

admin wrote:
Anyway, it would be great now to see Joaquin nominated for an Oscar and to win it, it would just be an interesting situation to see now after Joaquin's comments... i bet he'd handle it great! BigGrin

I don't think Joaquin would show up if he won .. Do you think he would contradict himself like that? He said he doesn't care at all ! Mellow

It will be def. very interesting to see what happens with all , it's a bit messy right now.
Last year, The Artist won so many prizes and everybody was saying the Academy was going through a big crisis.. YAWN .. Maybe it's time they start re-thinking the whole thing, opening it up to the new generation.. all the films that didn't get nominated, many indie films that should've made it... Whatever, because we don't care in here, right? Laugh

Edited by user Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:42:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:06:50 AM(UTC)
joy

Hello both!

sami wrote:
i just want to tell u to remember that ish was an act. He wasn't really crying.

Like I said, I can't explain it properly.

I remember reading an interview with Joaquin just before 'Reservation Road' came out. There was some speculation as to whether he would be drawing on his own experience during the filming of the scenes when Joaquin's character discovers his son at the side of the road after he's been run over. Joaquin said sonmething along the lines of not needing to use his own experiences because he gets into the character's character and imagines it from their perspective. So, I get that with his acting.

sami wrote:

Poor Joaquin. Wub Maybe we should buy him one of those boxing head protectors for his birthday. What do you think? Speaking of which...how do you and Admin feel about wishing Joaquin a happy birthday on the forum? On the one hand it seems a bit mad since he's not here and we don't really know him but on the other hand the forum is for all things Joaquin and it is his birthday on Sunday...

Quote:
Hi Joy,
I agree with you in that it would be wrong for Joaquin to be persuaded to go to the Oscars. Imagine he's nominated and he has to go, knowing the way he feels, it would be excruciating to watch. Thanks for making me see it this way !

Well, if Joaquin is nominated he could always do a Woody Allen and stay at home and play his clarinet. Blink Let’s see what happens.

Quote:
Another proof Oscars are a joke: Annette Benning didn't win it last year for The Kids are Alright. Instead Natalie Portman won it for the Black Swan. Always pretty young female wins. If we follow this logic you need to feel bad for Brad Pitt. You can tell he would have really liked to get one. He's showed up almost every year for his nominations, always faithful and believing and he's never got it. I think the academy likes to nominate him because of his celebrity status and the buzz he generates. I would give him one just for perseverance.

Annette Bening was very good in ‘The Kids are Alright’. Both she and Julianne Moore are intelligent actresses. I haven’t seen ‘Black Swan’ so can’t compare N. Portman’s performance but it wouldn’t surprise me if Annette lost out because of her age. There is another reason it may have gone to Natalie though. Is it just a coincidence that she was (is?) the face of ‘Miss Dior’ when this happened in the run-up to the Oscars?
http://fashion.telegraph...r-anti-semitic-rant.html
And that this happened after she won?
http://fashion.telegraph...aks-out-on-Galliano.html
No dis-respect or anything intended but it does make me wonder. And I wonder about why certain other Oscars have been given sometimes: has it always been about the performance or direction, etc? Yes, they are a joke, but then again, they’re not...
Joaquin was invited to join the Academy around the time of WTL – I wonder if he did join so he could cast his vote? If he did join, has he now resigned his membership? I’m wondering if his statement about the Oscars has more to it than talking about the Oscars we see as the audience.
As for Brad Pitt…..they’ll probably give him an Oscar one day for a film and performance that’s not up to much but as a kind of compensation for all the near misses.

sami wrote:
Thanks for this quote. It's a shame that a black man can't kiss a white woman in a movie. What is really revealing is that they would let it happen if the movie was about "racism" but not if the movie was just regular.. This shows the hypocrisy.. like "yes, we really mean it"

It’s like it can only happen if there’s a social or political message to it. Why not in a regular rom-com film? Would it be offensive to both groups? Would people really be so offended in the US or would it be the media which would create the idea that it’s offensive and therefore a lot of people would think that it was? If you know what I mean?

sami wrote:
My city is very divers but it's very segregated. In contrast, I remember that my first impression of London was how cosmopolitan it looked. I saw a lot of of mixed couples in the street. In the USA I rarely see it.

It’s a fairly common sight in lots of British cities and towns.

sami wrote:
My guess: You would spend the money in a big garden and a greenhouse. Perhaps even build a landscaping company ! You'd also trvel to Indonesia to look for exotic plants BigGrin

Good guess! I wouldn’t travel to Indonesia looking for exotic plants. I’d stick with my roots and build on projects involving the environment and medicine.

sami wrote:
Yes,I know what you mean, you end up suggesting yourself to believe it's true. I do that to with old films as well. They have this sweet naivety to them.

Or gritty realism if you watch some of the old British films from the 50s & 60s. The times and technology were different back then.

sami wrote:
Joaquin said in the interview that sometimes he manages to forget about the process and just enjoy the film when it's a really good one.

Oh yes. Like ‘Step Brothers’. Laugh Wink

Quote:
I will continue with the rest of your message another time. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts Joy. I hope you don't mind all the going back and forth ! Smile

Not at all. It’s good exercise. Smile

Quote:
admin wrote:
... it really is just an annual soulless, backslapping, hyped up dog and pony show to keep the masses distracted for another day when they should really be interested in other things in their own lives.

WELL SAID I have fallen for it many times too. I am trying to not watch TV shows.. It's hard not to !! It's like a drug

Good one, Admin! BigGrin

Quote:
admin wrote:
People have allowed "the powers that be" to use entertainment to take up far too much of their lives (the old Roman empire bread and circuses technique).

Yes, I agree, in general we have been numb for a long time. Lots of people still are. For a long time we were just a piece for the machine to work. I believe In part, we are breaking the patterns thanks to the internet. There is more information, and not just one source but many sources. People can talk about the news, and can actually spread the news.. It's fantastic. There is so much potential and creativity. I learned to think for myself online, not in school or in my own family. I owe this to the internet !

I learned on the internet what ‘bread & circuses’ meant. Huh Good points.

Quote:
admin wrote:

sami wrote:
I don't think Joaquin would show up if he won .. Do you think he would contradict himself like that? He said he doesn't care at all !Huh

Let’s see what happens and then we will see how real it is. I actually feel a bit scared for him because the suits in the industry have a lot of power I think and I’d hate to think he’d got himself involved in some kind of power struggle with them.

*ring ring* Joaquin answers the phone. Suit yells “You’re going!” “No I’m not!” “Yes you are! We’ve got millions invested in this fucking film and you’re one of the stars so put the tux on and comb your hair! The heavies are on the way now” “I’m not fucking going! It’s all bullshit!” Joaquin paces the floor chain-smoking and staring at the tux draped over a chair. A car screeches to a halt outside then the door crashes off its hinges as 2 very tall and broad heavies rush into the room. Joaquin tries to make a run for it but the heavies are on to him. One holds Joaquin down as the other puts the tux on over his shirt and jeans. The boots will have to stay as they are because time is running short. Joaquin is still struggling screaming “Motherfuckers!!!! I’m not going!” The heavies stand him up on his feet. One of them pulls something shiny out of his pocket, flicks it open and motions towards Joaquin’s face with it. The heavy snarls. He runs the comb through Joaquin’s hair, slicking it back across his forehead and untangling the knots. The other heavy clips a bow tie to Joaquin’s shirt collar. “You’re ready. Get in the car!” “I’m not fucking going!” The heavies throw Joaquin into the car and lock the doors. The car screeches off to the Oscars. Everyone is waiting excitedly to see if Joaquin will show up or not. The dresses are on form. Brad Pitt has his hand in his pocket touching the yellowing notepaper of his acceptance speech. Fierce debates have been raging for months about whether Joaquin will or won’t attend. Fingers have been frantically typing and mouths frothing. TV newsrooms have cleared their schedules to follow the story. The CRAP news helicopter has been tracking the car and the reporter relays the details back to the newsroom. It’s an exclusive! In the car the heavies are giving Joaquin the look. “You’re an actor. So get the fuck out there and act like you’ve never acted before! We’ll be watching you.” The heavies’ eyes narrow and their lips curl in a menacing grimace.
Joaquin is shaking. The car door opens and the red carpet looms. He’s here!! A million flash bulbs go off. Over here Joaquin! Over here Joaquin! More fierce debates rage about Joaquin’s appearance. “Dude, u look lik some guy pinned u 2 the floor and dragged that tux onto you!” “He looks awesome!” “OMG! He’s wearing the scuffed boots with a tux! Cool!” “George Clooney wouldn’t eva wear scuffed boots!” Joaquin is halfway along the red carpet behind the latest starlet who’s smiling brightly into her I-phone for a photo to tweet. Over here Joaquin! Joaquin moves towards the voice of CRAP TV’s celebrity reporter. “You came! How does it feel to be here?” Joaquin looks towards the car at the end of the red carpet. The heavies are looking back at Joaquin. Camera pans in to close up of Joaquin’s face.

Think I could get a job as a scriptwriter? Huh

Sorry about all the swearing, Admin, but I wanted it to sound realistic.

sami wrote:
It will be def. very interesting to see what happens with all , it's a bit messy right now.
Last year, The Artist won so many prizes and everybody was saying the Academy was going through a big crisis.. YAWN .. Maybe it's time they start re-thinking the whole thing, opening it up to the new generation.. all the films that didn't get nominated, many indie films that should've made it... Whatever, because we don't care in here, right?

Well, I think we’d care if Joaquin was nominated but he hadn’t said what he’d said about the Oscars. Because then we’d be rooting for him and hoping he’d win. Then we’d either be glad or sad whichever way it turned out. Now, I’m actually relieved that he’s come clean because it takes the pressure off me feeling like I have to be into the whole Oscars thing when deep down I’m actually not. I mean, I’d be pleased and proud for him to win if it meant something to him but he says it doesn’t so I’m happy with that.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:15:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:44:40 AM(UTC)
sami

Hi Joy Smile

joy wrote:

sami wrote:

Poor Joaquin. Wub Maybe we should buy him one of those boxing head protectors for his birthday. What do you think?

I think he would enjoy it Razz

joy wrote:
Speaking of which...how do you and Admin feel about wishing Joaquin a happy birthday on the forum? On the one hand it seems a bit mad since he's not here and we don't really know him but on the other hand the forum is for all things Joaquin and it is his birthday on Sunday...

If you start a Birthday wish I will tag along. I'm sure Admin is fine with it.

joy wrote:
Well, if Joaquin is nominated he could always do a Woody Allen and stay at home and play his clarinet. Blink Let’s see what happens.

Yes, let's see ! Joaquin always keeps you on the edge of your sit.Blink

joy wrote:
There is another reason it may have gone to Natalie though. Is it just a coincidence that she was (is?) the face of ‘Miss Dior’ when this happened in the run-up to the Oscars?
http://fashion.telegraph...r-anti-semitic-rant.html
And that this happened after she won?
http://fashion.telegraph...aks-out-on-Galliano.html

WOW. that's disgusting. This Galliano guy is a pig !

joy wrote:
No dis-respect or anything intended but it does make me wonder. And I wonder about why certain other Oscars have been given sometimes: has it always been about the performance or direction, etc? .

I think it's possible that this had something to do with NP winning the oscar. It wouldn't surprise me. That's why the Oscars are a joke. There is always an agenda behind, when someone wins there is ideology behind it many times. It's not only about the artistic value. Politics are everywhere unfortunately.

joy wrote:
Joaquin was invited to join the Academy around the time of WTL – I wonder if he did join so he could cast his vote? If he did join, has he now resigned his membership? I’m wondering if his statement about the Oscars has more to it than talking about the Oscars we see as the audience.

Good question. I wonder about that too. Perhaps because he is a member he knows all the actions "behind the scenes." I don't know how mad he is with the Academy. Again, only time will tell.

joy wrote:
As for Brad Pitt…..they’ll probably give him an Oscar one day for a film and performance that’s not up to much but as a kind of compensation for all the near misses.
]

Yeah, when he's really old. I think he did very well in that movie with Casey Affleck. He did very well in the Cohen's movie with George Clooney.. Fight Club was great too.. He's like Johny Depp in a way..

joy wrote:
Would people really be so offended in the US or would it be the media which would create the idea that it’s offensive and therefore a lot of people would think that it was? If you know what I mean?

Joy, I have no idea. I just know that there is very conservative people in the conservative states. I also think that Hollywood sends ideology with its movies and they can promote ideas they like or not.

sami wrote:

joy wrote:
It’s a fairly common sight in lots of British cities and towns.
]

Nice. Smile

joy wrote:
Think I could get a job as a scriptwriter? Huh

OMG, I loved it !! I couldn't stop reading !! You're really good at it. Laugh Laugh Laugh

I love how you included his boots. I noticed them too BigGrin

You know, the only part I would change is that I imagine him offering more resistance . Perhaps he'd kick the heavies in the nuts or something LOL
If you have time another day I'd love to read more !!

joy wrote:
Sorry about all the swearing, Admin, but I wanted it to sound realistic.

OMG Joy, you are in a Joaquin fan site! The last thing you need to do is to apologize for swearing ! Have you heard him speak? I find your cursing fucking refreshing . Let's fucking do it more often Laugh

joy wrote:
Now, I’m actually relieved that he’s come clean because it takes the pressure off me feeling like I have to be into the whole Oscars thing when deep down I’m actually not. I mean, I’d be pleased and proud for him to win if it meant something to him but he says it doesn’t so I’m happy with that.

That's true. I feel the same. We would also have to go through it and now we're free Cool

Edited by user Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:27:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#18 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 3:07:25 AM(UTC)
joy

Hi Sami & Admin,

I don't have much time to stay tonight but just wanted to say that I will start a Happy Birthday thread for Joaquin. Bring a bottle and some nibbles. BigGrin

sami wrote:
OMG Joy, you are in a Joaquin fan site! The last thing you need to do is to apologize for swearing ! Have you heard him speak? I find your cursing fucking refreshing . Let's fucking do it more often Laugh

I thought I'd read about not swearing in the forum rules, that's all. Confused Anyway, it wasn't me that was swearing - it was Joaquin, the suit and the heavies!!

sami wrote:
OMG, I loved it !! I couldn't stop reading !! You're really good at it. Laugh Laugh Laugh

I love how you included his boots. I noticed them too

You know, the only part I would change is that I imagine him offering more resistance . Perhaps he'd kick the heavies in the nuts or something LOL

Yes, I think he would too. Bastards!** The idea just popped into my head and I wrote it off the cuff quickly...we'll just have to see what inspires me for the next one. BigGrin

** That was me. Laugh Wink
Offline sami  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 4:02:21 PM(UTC)
sami

[size=7]
joy wrote:
Hi Sami & Admin,

I don't have much time to stay tonight but just wanted to say that I will start a Happy Birthday thread for Joaquin. Bring a bottle and some nibbles. BigGrin

So Joaquin's birthday is next Sunday... Wow. I didn't know. I twill be happy to congratulate him just in case he stumbles upon this site sometime. We'll wish him a happy birthday BigGrin

joy wrote:
I thought I'd read about not swearing in the forum rules, that's all. Confused

Oh, yes, you're right... I guess I didn't take them too literally LOL

joy wrote:

...we'll just have to see what inspires me for the next one. BigGrin

Let's see when the muse strikes you back.. BigGrin

So I just wanted to post a very interesting interview I just read. In this interview Joaquin reacts to the previous interview and clarifies what he meant exactly. He didn't mean to completely trash the Oscars. I think it was too blown out of proportion.. but partly it's his fault. He needs to measure his words very carefully otherwise he is misunderstood... people usually think the worst Crying

Recently Joaquin Phoenix rattled the film industry when he dismissed the Academy Awards during an interview with Interview magazine, as ‘bullshit’ and the ‘worst-tasting carrot’ he had ever had in his whole life. But when I chat to him at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills where he has come to promote his new movie The Master, the two-time Academy nominee denied using the word carrot.

“I don’t know what the context of the conversation was. I don’t remember,” he says, recomposing himself. “I think there’s a lot of truth and wonderful things that are said at the awards and sometimes there are candidates that really deserve the kind of recognition up there, but often times there is the elements of political campaigns that feel false. I think that kind of phoniness overwhelms me and I think that’s maybe what I meant, but, listen, there are wonderful artists that wouldn’t have the opportunity to create if it weren’t for the recognitions that they get so it’s certainly not all bullshit.”

Phoenix’s main disdain for awards stems from their seductive nature, which he thinks everyone is susceptible to. “It breeds a sense of awareness that is not good, particularly when that becomes the goal of actors. So there are some potential hazards that I think you have to be aware of to not let it go to your head,” warns Phoenix, his shirt crumpled, his hair uncombed, his beard thick.

Having said that, Phoenix appreciates the profound positive impact his Oscar nominations – for portraying Johnny Cash in Walk The Line (2006) and Commodus in The Gladiator (2001) – have had on his life. “It’s undeniable that my career would be in a very different place if it wasn’t for that experience,” he says. “Typically I haven’t been in films that have made an exorbitant amount of money and that’s typically how actors oftentimes are allowed to continue to do quality work as they are considered successful.”

Nonetheless, the social aspects of the nominations were too uncomfortable for him to bear. “I don’t want to be around 200 people where you just make small talk,” he exclaims, waving his hand dismissively. “You’re going like fuck, I just spent 8 hours at this thing and I was with all these people and I never talked to anybody really. I don’t like that feeling; you always kind of leave feeling a little empty.”

Having won the best actor award at this year’s Venice Film Festival, Phoenix may have to do it all over again this year thanks to his Oscar-worthy performance in Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master, in which he plays a wayward WWII veteran, Freddie Quell, who falls under the spell of a charismatic sect leader, Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman). But the star insists that an actor’s performance is not solely the fruit of his talent and it should be credited to the director who guides him through the filming, the director of photography who makes him look good and the editor who selects his best takes.

“Sometimes, I think actors don’t really deserve credit for the performances in some ways because I’ve seen performances shaped so much by the director,” Phoenix exclaims. “I guarantee you that if you saw the unedited film, I don’t think you would talk about my performance in a positive way. I think you might say that there were some moments that were good and then you’d say there were things so fucking bad that you can’t imagine that I’m a paid actor. So it’s hard for me ever to take credit for a performance,” he laughs.

Yet, Paul Thomas Anderson told me earlier that he offered the 37-year-old actor little direction, allowing him to freely form the character as he saw fit. “Paul’s really humble,” Phoenix chuckles, shaking his head. “I know that he feels that he’s very free and doesn’t control things but he does in a very subtle way to allow actors to feel that it is their own experience. I think that really good directors sometimes won’t directly say do this but they give you information that you can derive something about the character.”

Phoenix confesses that although he found Freddie’s yearning for meaning in his life and his uncertainty exciting, he had no idea how to approach him when he read the script. “There is a lot of ambiguity and so there’s a lot to try and develop. It was such an interesting character because I never really had any clear answers for what motivated him. Typically, actors have all those cliched stupid questions that actors ask and I didn’t really have that. I was mostly attracted to it because I didn’t know what it was, which was scary.”

But after listening to songs that were sent to him by Anderson, Phoenix began gradually to shape Freddie’s character emotionally and physically. “I can’t remember the songs, but every song was about these broken men and the lyrics clued me in.

“I wanted him to be physically and emotionally damaged so it was like the toughest case possible which would be appealing to The Master. That he seems like a hopeless case,” explains Phoenix, who has built his career inhabiting such conflicted and broken characters.

Born in Puerto Rico in 1974 to parents who were missionaries with the Children of God, Phoenix grew in a bohemian environment. Only when his parents left the cult and moved to the US, did he and his siblings, River and Rain, begin performing music, gaining attention in local contests, which eventually lead to TV roles for himself, when he was only 10 year-old, and for his brother River, who flourished into a promising star.

Ironically, Phoenix’s first major role in feature films was in Gus Van Sant’s To Die For (1995), which he took following the tragic death of his brother River from an overdose at the Viper Room, which left the young actor with deep emotional scars, but charged him with a new energy that propelled him to stardom.

In 2009, he raised eyebrows when he announced his retirement from acting in order to focus on rap music, and began appearing in public with a scruffy beard, uncombed hair and dark sunglasses, giving the impression that he was suffering a mental breakdown. The entire episode of his fall as a movie star and his rise as a rap artist was recorded by his best friend Casey Affleck in I’m Still Here, a supposed documentary that was released in 2010.

Later Phoenix strenuously denied that he had ever retired from acting or taken on rap music, insisting that it had been an act for I’m Still Here. “You got to be fucking kidding me,” he explodes in incredulous laughter. “I don’t do music, I never have.”

Nonetheless, the experience of making I’m Still Here has profoundly changed his perspective on acting and deepened his understanding of himself. “I think that when I was younger I tried to really control my performances and I tried to really plan things out and I took a certain pride in the amount of work that I had done. At some point I felt in some ways that I was preventing myself from discovering things that maybe were beyond my understanding at the time when I was studying it and that the best thing was to study and work and come up with my plan but to be completely open to whatever may happen in the moment and that really came to pass when I did I’m Still Here and then led into this movie.”

Listening to Phoenix speaking about acting with such passion, enthusiasm and deep appreciation, one would doubt that he had or would ever contemplate quitting his coveted craft. It’s evident, however, that he loathes the inevitable social aspects and the hazardous fame that come with it.

“I don’t want to feel like I’m this different thing or that I am like special in some way; it makes me feel funny,” he reflects. “I’m shy and it’s uncomfortable, and you navigate it because you have no choice,” he laughs in resignation.

A lot has been said about Phoenix’s eccentric personality and unpredictable behaviour, which is evidently not completely untrue, but what I also sensed in him was frustration at being misunderstood, dismay at being judged and a yearning to be left alone.

http://ukscreen.com/arti...t-for-their-performance/

You always got the blues

Edited by user Friday, October 26, 2012 4:23:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#20 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 4:44:19 PM(UTC)
sami

sami wrote:

A lot has been said about Phoenix’s eccentric personality and unpredictable behaviour, which is evidently not completely untrue, but what I also sensed in him was frustration at being misunderstood, dismay at being judged and a yearning to be left alone.

I understand how he feels because I feel the same way all the time. If I was in his position I would have a very hard time. The only thing I don't have is a yearning to be left alone.
When I was in college a friend told me that people thought I was weird but they respected me. On another scale, I would like to think that most people respect Joaquin a great deal too. Whatever that means. I'm sure he'll figure it out

Edited by user Friday, October 26, 2012 5:03:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified