JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline admin  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 7:48:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
First Look At NIGHTINGALE, Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Marion Cotillard & Jeremy Renner!

Edited by user Saturday, July 26, 2014 9:37:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Sponsor
Good Girls Fake It
Offline sami  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 11:41:14 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I'm looking forward to it ! J'adore James Gray !
Offline sami  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 4:35:29 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

With James Gray serving on the jury of the Marrakech International Film Festival this year, we were lucky enough to get some time with a director who has, in just four movies, firmly established himself as one of America's finest auteur directors. There are a couple of further pieces to come from our talk, so articulate and interesting an interviewee he turned out to be (we left his quotes mostly uncut below), but for now, here’s a small sampler of some news that will interest anyone anticipating his next film, a dramatic period piece set around Ellis Island, even half as eagerly as we are: it seems his next picture “The Nightingale,” starring the impressive cast of Joaquin Phoenix, Marion Cotillard and Jeremy Renner, is probably going to be jettisoned as the film’s title in favor of the original “Lowlife."
“It was originally ‘Lowlife’ and is probably going to be called ‘Lowlife,’ ” Gray said. He further clarifies: “It has nothing to do with the Luc Sante book [of a similar name]. What happened was they had classifications for people coming in through Ellis Island. Believe it or not, ‘moron,’ ‘cretin’ all this stuff, they’re technical terms, which seems ridiculous. And you didn’t want to be classified a ‘lowlife,’ -- they also called it ‘liable to become public charge’ -- which meant that you were going to be a ward of the state and they would not allow you into the United States. So I called the movie ‘Lowlife’ and Jim Jarmusch who’s a friend of mine said I should read his friend Luc Sante’s book ‘Low Life’ because I was talking about Luc Sante’s book ‘Evidence,' which is a series of crime photographs."

"And I remembered it had come out maybe twenty years before and I read it, and it was the wrong time period; it was New York around when Marty Scorsese’s picture takes place, ‘Gangs of New York,' which was about sixty or seventy years before the film I was writing takes place," Gray continued. "But it was still very interesting, I used very little of it, and then I spoke to Luc Sante, who’s brilliant, and he said ‘I don’t want you using the title.’ So I said ‘What do you mean? My movie’s not based on your book and you can’t copyright a title; it’s called ‘Lowlife’ -- it’s not even two words, it’s one.' So the legal department said, ‘No you can’t call it ‘Lowlife’ because you communicated with him in an email. So I said ‘Rght, his email to me said 'I can’t really help you with any of your research and don’t call your movie 'Lowlife.'' That’s hardly a contact with him. And they said, ‘But it is a contact.’ "

"So then it became ‘The Untitled James Gray Movie,’ which is completely awful because unintentionally for legal reasons you sound like a megalomaniac," Gray laughed. "The editing room would call up and it was [mimics sing-song phone-answering voice] ‘Untitled James Gray Movie!’ It was like that for a while, and then there’s a speech that an actress gives in which she says that 'the nightingale sings sweetest when it’s darkest,' and I thought ‘Well, that’s nice, if I can’t call it ‘Lowlife’ I’ll call it that.’ "

"And then everybody else decided they hated that title, and I said, ‘Screw it, let’s just call it ‘Lowlife’ which it’s supposed to be called’ and that’s where we are right now. I wish I could be more detailed than that,” he adds wryly, “but you now know what I know.”

Whatever its title, the movie is now finished. “I finished it last week, saw the first print and got on a plane the next day to come here.” Gray adds that the film is hopefully heading to The Cannes Film Festival in 2013, “if they’ll have me.”

He goes on to whet our appetites further, saying, “If you like the films that I’ve made, if you do and it’s a big if, then there’s an infinitesimal chance that you won’t like it. Because I’ve screened it for people who both hate and like my films and the response from people who like the films is that it’s my best film.” And that continued confidence is something we're glad to see, because when we spoke to the director in the spring, he had the same feeling as he was heading into post-production at the time.

We certainly can’t wait, but in the meantime, you can check out a full synopsis and some set pics here, and gain our impressions of the Telluride sneak peek here. And as we mentioned, over the next few days we’ll have more from Gray, including some further stories around the origins of the film and the shooting experience, the director's other gestating projects, and his thoughts on contemporary U.S. cinema in general.
http://blogs.indiewire.c...in-cannes-2013-20121205#
Offline joy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:48:04 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Thank you for the photos and the article. Interesting to know the genesis and subsequent problems with the film's title. I'm sure Cannes will be more than happy to have Lowlife and James Gray at the festival.

Interview: James Gray Talks Working With Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix & The Central Crisis Of American Cinema

A definite high point of our Marrakech International Film Festival was not only getting the chance to talk with director James Gray (“Two Lovers,” “We Own The Night,” “Little Odessa,” “The Yards”) about his upcoming directorial and writing projects (see our previous coverage here and here), but also having the time to let the conversation spin off, through some of his past experiences, and into a more general discussion about the state of contemporary U.S. cinema. Gray’s perspective as a commentator is of course informed by the kind of filmmaker he is: in his assessment of U.S. cinema being in a state of deep crisis, it is hard not to see a man arguing forcefully for his own livelihood.

But what saves his reasoning from coming off as self-serving is that Gray is truly knowledgeable about the subject, quite beyond his own experience. That and the fact that when it comes to lamenting the squeeze on what he calls “the middle” -- the mid-budget, intelligent, adult-aimed dramas that are his stock in trade, and that form the backbone of his strongest influence, the U.S. filmmaking culture of the 1970s -- it's hard to disagree. Below, Gray’s reflections on the aforementioned subjects, a brief discussion of his other filmic preoccupations, and some further background to his forthcoming drama “Lowlife” starring Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner.

In "Lowlife" you work with Marion Cotillard for the first time. Tell us how that came about.
I had no idea who…Marion Cotillard was. When I was in Paris for "Two Lovers," a publicist told me, "A guy named Guillaume Canet wants to have lunch with you." So we met and had lunch, I found him incredibly funny -- I didn’t know anything he had done at that stage, but we sort of bonded because a rat ran across the floor of the restaurant. And then he said, “Come meet my girlfriend” and I met this woman who looked like a silent film actress like Pola Negri or something. And I said, “Who’s your girlfriend?" and he said [French accent] ”You don’t know my girlfriend? She won an Oscar, are you stupide?”
And my wife and I became very friendly with them. One night at dinner we went to a restaurant and I told her I didn’t like some actor that she thought was great and she threw a piece of bread at my head, and I thought, “Well, you’re interesting.” So I wrote the movie ["Lowlife"] for her, having never seen her in a movie. Because she has this face, you know? She doesn’t even have to say anything, and that’s rare.

And of course in "Lowlife" you reteam for the fourth time with Joaquin Phoenix. How did you feel about antics during the "Two Lovers" press tour?
I was really angry with him, let’s be honest here. But you know, totally brilliant actors who will agree to do your film are not people who grow on trees. I was upset with him. I mean, I think he and Casey [Affleck] did something very silly, but, whatever -- it’s not for me to judge, who cares what I think? My argument was that it came on the back of the publicity tour for the film that I had made with him, which actually was fairly well received in the United States, but there was no discussion of the film. In fact the [David] Letterman appearance where he went nuts was to publicize "Two Lovers" -- he apologized to me for that and ultimately I decided that I couldn’t really care about it, because he’s a wonderful actor so in a way you forget it.

Do you feel the break has made Phoenix a stronger actor?
That's hard to say. I've always found him to be a brilliant actor. I know him so well… No, I don’t see him being stronger. I think he thinks he’s stronger. I don’t think that’s the case, he thinks he’s a better actor. My own view is that there was a quantum leap in his skill set between the first film I did with him “The Yards” to the second which was “We Own The Night.” Since then I have seen a consistent commitment to the work which is really impressive.

The rest of the interview, with JG's thoughts on American cinema, is here:

http://blogs.indiewire.c...ge=1#blogPostHeaderPanel
Offline kitten  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 3:05:29 AM(UTC)
kitten

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

does anyone know when Nightingale is coming out?? the name in Lowlife , this movie looks very good, just wondering if he is going to the golden globles, LOL
Offline kitten  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 3:07:20 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

sami wrote:
I'm looking forward to it ! J'adore James Gray !

I love james gray too, he is great, the yards is a movie that is so good, love itBlink
Offline joy  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 8:32:52 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Lowlife is coming out some time this year but I don't know when exactly. After the GGs most likely. Wink
Offline sami  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 1:54:50 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
Lowlife is coming out some time this year but I don't know when exactly. After the GGs most likely. Wink

Really? I didn't realise it would happen so soon! That's awesome !
Offline noraphoenix69  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:22:54 AM(UTC)
noraphoenix69

Woman

I can't wait to see that movie!
It looks awesome!!
Offline admin  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:43:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Lowlike aka Nightingale aka The Immigrant to be shown at this years Cannes film festival 

It seems like only yesterday they were showing The Master there...
Offline joy  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:55:27 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Joaquin didn't go to Cannes for The Master, did he? It would be great for us if he went for Low Life though. *fingers crossed*

What's this? Low Life is now called The Immigrant? European title, perhaps? I know some films take on different titles when showing in Europe. It's in competition too. The French love James Gray so maybe he'll win again.

Offline admin  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:57:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joy wrote:

Joaquin didn't go to Cannes for The Master, did he? It would be great for us if he went for Low Life though. *fingers crossed*

What's this? Low Life is now called The Immigrant? European title, perhaps? I know some films take on different titles when showing in Europe. It's in competition too. The French love James Gray so maybe he'll win again.

Maybe i'm thinking of The Venice film festival Joy... i've lost track 

Offline joy  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:17:59 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Aww, never mind, Admin - you've had a lot on your mind lately.

Offline kitten  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 12:22:16 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

joy wrote:

Aww, never mind, Admin - you've had a lot on your mind lately.

I wanted Her (film) to show at Cannes,  oh well,  

Offline admin  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 1:19:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

kitten wrote:

Hi Kitten,

Yeah, i'm looking forward to "Her" also... i just can't get exciting about "The Immigrant". Her looks to be more my type of film. 
Offline kitten  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 1:56:17 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

admin wrote:
kitten wrote:

Hi Kitten,

Yeah, i'm looking forward to "Her" also... i just can't get exciting about "The Immigrant". Her looks to be more my type of film. 

I excited about both films,  wondering when Her will have a trailer ??   so we can check out more on the film, lol   

Offline admin  
#17 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 3:59:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Offline kitten  
#18 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 4:07:55 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

admin wrote:

New Images Of Joaquin Phoenix & Marion Cotillard In James Gray's 'The Immigrant'

wonder what he is thinking about?  

Offline joy  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 5:11:55 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

kitten wrote:

How he can get out of doing any promotional stuff for the film?  

Looks like he's sucking his thumb. Lol.

Offline kitten  
#20 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 5:48:47 AM(UTC)
kitten

Woman
United States

joy wrote:

kitten wrote:

How he can get out of doing any promotional stuff for the film?  

Looks like he's sucking his thumb. Lol.

lol, lol, lol, lol,  sound about wright,   well he can do another ISH number two, in his new house??