JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1112131415>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#241 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:59:44 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

admin wrote:
sami wrote:
The other day i was trying to imagine how you look ... I imagine you are blond with a bit of a beard, although you never revealed your gender. I hope I'm not assuming wrongly!

Blond = incorrect.
Beard = incorrect at the moment.
Gender = correct at the moment Flapper.

sami wrote:
I wanted to ask you , now that you've read my comments, if I have helped get a different picture of the movie. I tried to tell what you can expect from it .. I still cannot make up my mind. It's difficult to make a judgement Ina movie like this bec it's so different.

I've read what you thought of the film and what others have said also... i think i've got a pretty good picture of the what to expect from The Master film. I think i'm just interested in seeing it for the performances and visuals rather than the story.

I'm now looking forward to seeing The Master get released in other countries, so we get to hear the perspectives on the film from peoples of other countries... i think the film, because of it's style, will go down well in countries such as France and Italy.

Admin,

We're both online !

Thanks for providing your detailsBigGrin

Yes, I will admit the story must have some flaws. It's 2h30m long and at end I was eager to leave. It's a pity. Maybe PTA had so many great scenes with Joaquin and couldn't choose to let go of some of themBigGrin
In any case , i have been reading articles, some of them miss the point. Have you read any? They have a lot if spoilers ..

I was just reading an article and I wanted to post my comments on it but it will have a lot of spoilers .. Is that ok?
Offline admin  
#242 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:15:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Hi Sami,

Yes, i've read quite a few reviews and articles about The Master.

Of course, feel free to post whatever you think is relevant. Might be worth warning if it contains spoilers, just in case anyone else out there is reading! BigGrin
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline sami  
#243 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:29:35 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I changed my mind, just in case you couldn't resist the temptation to read it . Solidary with those who haven't watched the film !!

Edited by user Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:06:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#244 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:27:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

New trailer with new footage for those of us who haven't seen The Master yet BigGrin. Also includes scenes not in the film apparently Cool

The Master - Last One / Thank You

Edited by user Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:33:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#245 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:33:19 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thanks Admin!
This trailer is very good. It gives a very realistic flavor of the movie. There are sone scenes not included, yes. The interrogation scene about the episode is not in the film. In any case the trailer doesn't give away the any of the best moments of the movie !! You can rest assured there will be many surprises left for you !
Offline sami  
#246 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 2:34:39 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

.... Hi :) I know what you're thinking : the movie, right? How is it doing on the box office the 2nd week?
It's ok !
Offline admin  
#247 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 10:44:34 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yes Sami, The Master, out of the top 10 films currently showing, has taken the most on a per theatre basis:

Daily Domestic Box Office Chart

I wonder if they plan on pushing it out to 3000+ theatres like the other movies currently on release...? or maybe they don't think the mass audience is out there for this type of film and have decided to just limit the release.
Offline sami  
#248 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:04:52 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Admin,

Even though the film is inspired by Scientology I believe the preacher disciple frame might be uncomfortable for many religious people. Not the most liberal but the most conservative. I noticed when I explain the topic to people who are religious they seem uncomfortable with it. I think the movie will do better in Europe because there isn't as many people that goes to church.
Offline joy  
#249 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 7:15:03 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi *waves* BigGrin

Glad that you got to see The Master, Sami! I can't stay long right now but will be back very soon to ask some questions. BigGrin

Offline admin  
#250 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 8:42:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Nice to see you back Joy Cool

Looking forward to seeing you grill Sami... BigGrin
Offline sami  
#251 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:01:22 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

joy wrote:
Hi *waves* BigGrin

Glad that you got to see The Master, Sami! I can't stay long right now but will be back very soon to ask some questions. BigGrin

What a surprise, Joy ! Welcome back ! You can ask me any question. As you can see, I have kept my promise to not spoil it for you Laugh

admin wrote:

Confused Confused Confused I don't know what you mean by grill Confused Confused LOL

Offline sami  
#252 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:15:53 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Oh, Do you mean that the inquisition is coming for me? LOL
Offline joy  
#253 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:43:42 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Admin wrote:
Nice to see you back Joy Cool

sami wrote:
What a surprise, Joy ! Welcome back ! You can ask me any question. As you can see, I have kept my promise to not spoil it for you

Confused Confused Confused I don't know what you mean by grill Confused Confused LOL

Quote:
Oh, Do you mean that the inquisition is coming for me? LOL

It’s good to see you both again. *Hugs!*

I think Admin may have been having a little joke there. Laugh Sorry if I gave the impression that I was going to bring the heavies with me to question you. Laugh BigGrin

I appreciate you keeping shtum about most of the film, Sami, but I feel sad for you not having anyone to discuss it with properly at the moment: it’s going to be just over a month before I get to see the film and maybe Admin too (?) I was wondering if you could open a new topic thread just for discussion of the film? Maybe some of the lurkers who have seen the film will join in then; anyone not wanting to read any spoilers could keep out of that thread and we could keep general Master discussions to this thread? Just an idea..

I think the best thing to do is just start at the beginning...

sami wrote:
I just saw the movie !!
I got there 30 minutes early and there was a long line of people. I was worried I couldn't get a good sit . Luckily it paid off to get there in advance. At around showing time the room was filled in. We had a introduction and everybody was very excited . For the next session there was a long line of people waiting . I guess it sold out too.

I don't know what to say about it.. Because I just saw it . Joaquin's face is on my mind. There were times when I just wanted the movie to freeze in that particular moment and stay there soaking it all in. It's very intense. It's not an action movie don't expect too many "fireworks". It's not Joaquin out if control all the time. It's more of a love story but there's much more to it ! Joaquin character has so many layers and he is amazing doing it. I don't know how he did it. At the end I cried .. It has many funny moments too !

I was worried the soundtrack would cover the dialogues but it didn't . There is a part with string clusters, it fits so nicely.

The image was gorgeous but again I just was absorbed by the story ! I will need a 2nd screening.

I’m trying to recall a time when I’ve been to see a film at a general screening where there was an introduction but can only think of one time when I went to see ‘West Side Story’ and a man spoke for about 15 minutes about the film, especially the choreography (the film was shown as part of a festival of dance). Maybe, because I practically never go to see films on opening nights, I miss all the ceremony of introductions and so on. Anyway, I think it’s great that your screening had an introduction: apart from the info about films being exclusively digital in the future, what else did they say?

What was it like, compared with a usual film screening, to see The Master in 70mm?

I know just how you feel about not knowing what to say about a film after you’ve just seen it. Sometimes, a film can leave such a strong impression that it takes a while for everything to sink in and settle into something which can be put into words, but even then words might be inadequate. Sometimes, the feeling is everything.

You say that Joaquin’s face was on your mind and there were times when you wanted to freeze a particular moment: what was your initial reaction to seeing Joaquin as Freddie? Did your heart leap into your mouth? Drool Did you melt? Love Was it a shock? OhMyGod Etc? Woot Wub

Why did you cry? What kind of crying was it?

I’m so glad to hear that the soundtrack didn’t cover the dialogue. When I watched the first trailer I was kind of annoyed by the soundtrack because it was so loud.

sami wrote:
Hi.
Thank you admin . I wanted to write down my first impressions before I forgot. Other strong feelings arised that are too personal to write here. I dont feel proud of it but I just yelled at a person who was annoying me and she said next time she would call the cops. It had a physical effect. Like watching Tarantino. Don't u feel more violent after watching Tarantino?

I think most people enjoyed it . There were few ppl leaving in the middle which surprised me .. At the end there weren't as much clapping as you'd expect. Perhaps its bec PTA did whatever he wanted, he wasn't manipulating the audience to "give them a ride"

Joaquin is Freddy Quell, from beginning to end. His transformation is so complete, yes This is the performance of his career and it deserves an Oscar . You will see, there are scenes where you feel like something extraordinary is happening. JP's performance should be talked about for a while and never forgotten !

PSH-- Now I know why the Venice prize was split between the two . Nuff said !

Did you yell at the person whilst you were watching the film? What was it they were doing that annoyed you? Confused Were you really so annoyed at them that they were justified in calling the cops? OhMyGod Or were they over-reacting?Blink

Hmm…I don’t think I’ve ever felt violent after watching a Tarantino film. I know what you mean though. I remember feeling violent and sickened whilst watching David Lynch’s ‘Wild at Heart’ at the cinema: even now the thought of a particular scene in the film makes me feel violent. I also felt like punching Joaquin after seeing ISH. OhMyGod The same thing can happen with music. Some kinds of music make me feel more edgy and tense; I try to avoid listening to them.

I’m surprised that people left halfway through the film too. I wonder why they did? Maybe the film wasn’t what they expected it to be? Perhaps their expectations were heightened by the PR buzz and reviews? Maybe some people’s tolerance of what constitutes a film experience these days is limited? Maybe they were on a first date and realised the film wasn’t really suitable as a first date film? Laugh

Wow! I can’t wait to see Joaquin in this film! In a way though I hope this isn’t the performance of his career because this would mean that everything else coming afterwards won’t be as good and everything else will be judged and compared with his performance in The Master, which won’t really be fair on his acting in other roles.

Quote:
Joaquin is not just top notch he is so fucking amazing. No prize can match this performance in my opinion.The best of the movie is Joaquin and Philip's performance. It's just excellent. Perfect, amazing. We're just not used to this level of quality anymore.

Sometimes, “so fucking amazing” says it all! Cool

sami wrote:
The movie .. I think it must be something with the arch of the movie.. where the climaxes are, I don't know, ..

I don’t know what you mean by this. Can you elaborate? Huh

sami wrote:
I want to see it again, yes, to have a more rational reaction to it this time and enjoy it in a different way. When I just saw it my mind was blank for a while. This movie will make you want to have sex like an animal and get mad and destroy things too !!
Oops, noooooo, I didn't say that !!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Oh yes you did!!!! Laugh

What can I say?? Blink Blushing Really??? Is that in a good way or a bad way? You don’t mean have sex with animals, do you? Scared Laugh. Hopefully also not feeling like destroying the person you’re having sex with!? Did you want to have animalistic sex with Joaquin afterwards?

UserPostedImage

Or, just sex like an animal?

UserPostedImage

Admin wrote:
I've read what you thought of the film and what others have said also... i think i've got a pretty good picture of the what to expect from The Master film. I think i'm just interested in seeing it for the performances and visuals rather than the story.

I'm now looking forward to seeing The Master get released in other countries, so we get to hear the perspectives on the film from peoples of other countries... i think the film, because of it's style, will go down well in countries such as France and Italy.

Hopefully in Britain too. I’m also looking forward to seeing the performances and visuals, especially in 70mm.

Btw…I didn’t imagine you as a blond-haired, bearded fella, Admin. Sometimes you’re more talkative than others, rather than just being a general chatterbox like me and Sami, so I did wonder if you were actually more than one person. Is that why you said your gender was “correct at the moment”? (meaning male at the time you were writing).

sami wrote:
Even though the film is inspired by Scientology I believe the preacher disciple frame might be uncomfortable for many religious people. Not the most liberal but the most conservative. I noticed when I explain the topic to people who are religious they seem uncomfortable with it. I think the movie will do better in Europe because there isn't as many people that goes to church.

I don’t know if that’s true or not but I think people in Europe probably have a different relationship with religion than in America.

I like your new avatar, Sami. Very suitable for harvest time. BigGrin

Offline admin  
#254 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:48:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Nice to see you back Joy,

joy wrote:
I appreciate you keeping shtum about most of the film, Sami, but I feel sad for you not having anyone to discuss it with properly at the moment: it’s going to be just over a month before I get to see the film and maybe Admin too (?) I was wondering if you could open a new topic thread just for discussion of the film? Maybe some of the lurkers who have seen the film will join in then; anyone not wanting to read any spoilers could keep out of that thread and we could keep general Master discussions to this thread? Just an idea..

Yes, hopefully i get to see The Master next month all being well! BigGrin Sounds like a good idea regarding the new thread, feel free to create any thread you feel is appropriate! Cool

joy wrote:
I’m surprised that people left halfway through the film too. I wonder why they did? Maybe the film wasn’t what they expected it to be? Perhaps their expectations were heightened by the PR buzz and reviews? Maybe some people’s tolerance of what constitutes a film experience these days is limited? Maybe they were on a first date and realised the film wasn’t really suitable as a first date film? Laugh

Yes, i don't think i've ever left a movie theatre before the film is finished, especially with the cost of going to the cinema these days! Mad I think i'd only do that if i was confident in getting my money back! BigGrin

joy wrote:
Btw…I didn’t imagine you as a blond-haired, bearded fella, Admin. Sometimes you’re more talkative than others, rather than just being a general chatterbox like me and Sami, so I did wonder if you were actually more than one person. Is that why you said your gender was “correct at the moment”? (meaning male at the time you were writing).

Yes Joy, very observant... it's mainly me, myself and I... but it is possible that someone else may post as admin once in a blue moon. Like Santa has Elves Flapper
Offline sami  
#255 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:25:14 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hello Joy, Admin,

I am fine not discussing the film. For some reason I don't feel the need to do so. I know what it meant to me, and I like to keep it for myself. What the movie is about is so clear. I don't have any question marks such in ISH after watching it. It did get to my heart, specially Freddie. I understood him so well. When you watch it I will be happy to talk about it . I'm not in a rush !

I still haven't had the 2nd screening, Probably next weekend.

Now, your questions Joy.

When I saw Joaquin as Freddie I was shocked. It starts as a shock. I even laughed I was embarrassed. There was a German couple next to me and they were annoyed that I was laughing so I kept it quiet ... I won't say anything else because it would spoil it for you... Oh yes, I was supposed to go to the movie with that guy I told you about but he cancelled last minute so I had to go on my own. GRRR

The film intro wasn't very exciting. The movie theater is a non-profit and they simply took advantage of The Master high attendance to ask for donations to switch to digital. It costs them $200.000 to do so !

The 70mm experience wasn't so different. I noticed the screen was kind of small and I think I will try watching it in another cinema the 2nd time to see if the image quality is better!

After watching the film, I was blank, yes. I didn't have any words but the feeling. Joaquin's face was on my mind because there are many times when his face fills the screen. Many times when it's all about his face, very close, very big. It will be a treat for the fans. The interrogation scenes are amazing. The one in the trailer when he farts... its just a second but that scene lasts for a long time and it will blow your mind.There are other shots of his face where you just go: "stop it here" Not only because he is handsome but the colors and what he is expressing,..

I can't tell you why I cried because it will spoil the ending for you. I didn't cry a lot , not loud, just cried because it was so sad.

About the soundtrack. I was relieved too. It didn't get in the way at all. It's very much in the background and cut to pieces. Little cues here and there.

Oh, the yelling part.. it happened the next morning, not during the movie !!! I'm more civilized than you think. I remember something similar happened a long time ago.. More than 10 years ago, I was a teenager. We went to see Natural Born Killers with some friends and afterwards we had some drinks. My friend (girl) got into a fight with two other guys. I think she punched someone!!

My impression about people leaving the film .. let me put it this way, if you are a prude, you might find it offensive. It reminds me of a time I went to see a dance show and the dancers started taking off their clothes until they were naked and some older people left in the middle. This kind of thing Laugh

When I say something about the arch of the movie I mean about the narrative, the ups and downs, it's a different approach.. I can't explain. I'm sure PTA knew what he was doing but it's not satisfying. The ending is not very much prepared .. you know when you watch certain movies you can tell the ending is coming and you know what to expect? This movie doesn't do that. It's a trip into a series of characters and suddenly they are not here anymore.. this is the best way I can describe it.

About the sex, yes, Freddie is obsessed about sex maybe because he isn't getting any. There is a lot of pelvic movement ! And he is just like the BARAKA monkey. You get into this kind of thing by the end it just looks normal :) I was meaning having sex like an animal. All whithincertain boundaries, nothing too crazy here ! It's just funny because Dodd keeps saying men are not animals and then Freddie acts like one. We've heard this many times directly or inderctly so thinking you are actually an animal is quite liberating !

I'm glad you like my avatar, thank you . It's Matisse! When are you going to upload one ?

Edited by user Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:21:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#256 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2012 12:48:30 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

The part where I criticize PTA structure of the movie please don't take it literally. I'm not really sure , I need to see it a second to time .
Offline joy  
#257 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2012 4:08:10 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

^^ OK Sami, won't do. Cool

Admin wrote:
Yes, i don't think i've ever left a movie theatre before the film is finished, especially with the cost of going to the cinema these days! Angry I think i'd only do that if i was confident in getting my money back! BigGrin

I insist on watching all the adverts and trailers too to get my money’s worth! Laugh They don’t seem to show them anymore but cinemas used to have adverts for local businesses which were so bad they were good. Do you remember the Pearl & Dean adverts? I love the intro music! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXLWInAjpI
I think we can all guess what reaction we’d get from the managers if we asked for our money back because the film was crap/offensive/unfunny/badly acted, etc. BigGrin

Admin wrote:
Yes Joy, very observant... it's mainly me, myself and I... but it is possible that someone else may post as admin once in a blue moon. Like Santa has Elves Flapper

I was only thinking two, but three’s fine. Laugh BigGrin I hope your helper isn’t Will Ferrell since I said he gets on my nerves. Scared He might put me on the naughty girl Christmas list! Laugh

OK, Sami, that’s great you’re willing to wait until we’ve seen the film. Even if the story is clear and straightforward I’m sure there will be plenty to talk about and there are the trailers to look forward to seeing too, at least for me. Look forward to hearing all about your experience with a second viewing and I hope you don't go with that guy this time either! You got the best deal going without him, imo.

It's a shame the screening was so poor. I was envisioning a huge screen with cinemascope, vivid colours and larger than life images. I’ve read some reviews of the screenings on Cigarettes and Red Vines and they say similar things about the quality of the film on screen. Maybe we’re so used to the quality of modern films, in a way we’re spoilt?

Quote:
After watching the film, I was blank, yes. I didn't have any words but the feeling. Joaquin's face was on my mind because there are many times when his face fills the screen. Many times when it's all about his face, very close, very big. It will be a treat for the fans. The interrogation scenes are amazing. The one in the trailer when he farts... its just a second but that scene lasts for a long time and it will blow your mind.There are other shots of his face where you just go: "stop it here" Not only because he is handsome but the colors and what he is expressing,..

I love the way you’ve spoken about this film, Sami. The way you’ve described Joaquin’s face on screen and wanting to capture the moment for more than a moment. I don’t know why, but this just captures me and I am really looking forward to seeing some of this for myself.

Quote:
Oh, the yelling part.. it happened the next morning, not during the movie !!! I'm more civilized than you think

I didn’t think you were uncivilised. I think I must have misunderstood what you wrote the first time and thought you were talking about that happening at the cinema.

Quote:
My impression about people leaving the film .. let me put it this way, if you are a prude, you might find it offensive. It reminds me of a time I went to see a dance show and the dancers started taking off their clothes until they were naked and some older people left in the middle. This kind of thing Laugh

Oh, I see. I doubt I’d be offended just because some people got naked. Laugh I’ll let you know my thoughts when I’ve seen the film. Wink

Quote:
About the sex, yes, Freddie is obsessed about sex maybe because he isn't getting any. There is a lot of pelvic movement ! And he is just like the BARAKA monkey. You get into this kind of thing by the end it just looks normal :)

You mean he masturbates a lot?

How do you feel about the film now that it’s been a week or so since you saw it? Is there a lasting impression it has left you with?

Quote:
I'm glad you like my avatar, thank you . It's Matisse! When are you going to upload one ?

I could upload one now, but I don’t know which pic to choose. What would you like to see? Choose a subject or word and I’ll see what I can come up with. I thought the Matisse looked like lots of hands at first then I thought it looked like a bunch of wheat grain but I think it’s actually meant to be flowers? Joy, the renowned art expert. Blink

Offline sami  
#258 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:27:08 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Thanks for your comments Joy! I always appreciate them ^_^
joy wrote:

It's a shame the screening was so poor. I was envisioning a huge screen with cinemascope, vivid colours and larger than life images. I’ve read some reviews of the screenings on Cigarettes and Red Vines and they say similar things about the quality of the film on screen. Maybe we’re so used to the quality of modern films, in a way we’re spoilt?

No, I think the experience will change a lot in another cinema. As I said the screen wasn't very wide and also I was sitting at the back. The film has so much going on that I couldn't always pay attention to the quality of the visuals. I think the 2nd screening will allow for more attention to other things than dialogues and characters such as background images.

joy wrote:

I love the way you’ve spoken about this film, Sami. The way you’ve described Joaquin’s face on screen and wanting to capture the moment for more than a moment. I don’t know why, but this just captures me and I am really looking forward to seeing some of this for myself.

Thank you Joy. You actually ask me what I remember the most from this film after about 10 days.. and I must say it's Joaquin's face.. well, rather Freddie's. Even when he's not talking he is expressing so much and this is one of the reasons why I am a fan of Joaquin's acting.

joy wrote:

Oh, I see. I doubt I’d be offended just because some people got naked. Laugh I’ll let you know my thoughts when I’ve seen the film. Wink

Yes, there is a scene with many naked women and I hear people talking about it, why is there any need to do that. They are missing the point. You will see, let me know what you think !!

joy wrote:

You mean he masturbates a lot?

No, we don't see him masturbating a lot. I think only once.. but he does other things... and I'm not telling what BigGrin

joy wrote:

I could upload one now, but I don’t know which pic to choose. What would you like to see? Choose a subject or word and I’ll see what I can come up with. I thought the Matisse looked like lots of hands at first then I thought it looked like a bunch of wheat grain but I think it’s actually meant to be flowers? Joy, the renowned art expert. Blink

Jeez, I don't know.. you can upload anything.. the Matisse painitng is called gerbe, you can google it. The avatar here in the forum has a bit of reflection so it distorts a bit the image. It's supposed to look like a colorful bush, or even a seaweed. I like to post geometric or abstract things because I get tired of seeing the same picture all the time ! You don't have to post anything ! I was just wondering !!

I have to go now, I just sneaked in before going to work.. I'm busy these days looking for a second part time job.

I hope both of you are having a really nice week !!

Hugs,

Sami.
Offline sami  
#259 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:55:42 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Here's a nice interview to PTA. There aren't spoilers .

UserPostedImage

For Paul Thomas Anderson, moviemaking is not just an art; it's also about time management.

"At its best, a film set is when everybody knows what's going on and everybody's working together," he tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross. "At its worst, [it's] when something's been lost in communication and an actor's not sure how many shots are left or what's going on, and the makeup department's confused."

Anderson wrote and directed the new film The Master, which stars Philip Seymour Hoffman as a cult leader and Joaquin Phoenix as a troubled World War II veteran who makes his way into the group.

For the film, Anderson conducted research about Dianetics — a metaphysical theory created by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard — and its early followers, including one couple's newsletters about yoga, new diets and past-lives therapy. He says that poring over these writings was "the best way to try to hold hands with the past and get to know these people," and that "there was a kind of wide-open feeling to a lot of things, reading, and a lot of investigation and openness to anything, which felt like a pre-hippie thinking."

The Master is set in the 1950s; inspired by the look and color palette of movies from the period, Anderson decided to shoot in 65mm film. He also found looking at department-store portraits from that era to be helpful .

"Those somehow were the most candid and revealing, and helped you time travel — look at these faces, look at that period, look at that era — and try and imagine not just what was happening when the picture was taken, but what would happen right after," he says.

Anderson has always loved the 1950s because of the era's cars, outfits, hairdos, music — and also because of his father, Ernie Anderson. He was a World War II veteran who later became well-known as an announcer on ABC TV, famous for saying things like, "On the Looooooove Boat ..."

Growing up, Anderson would go to the ABC studio and watch his father record.

"It was a step towards what I wanted to do — being in that world, being around technicians, moving parts, and microphones, video rolling — I loved it," he says.

Anderson also wrote and directed the widely acclaimed films Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood. He has been nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Achievement in Directing and Best Original Screenplay.

Interview Highlights

On the first scene he wrote for The Master

"Well, it's inspired by the actual questionnaire that's out there as relates to Scientology, but I had changed it and switched it around. And I came to that many years ago, and actually found it was a great way to just start writing. Forget any implications of making a film or story about this — it was really just writer's block and sitting around. The best way for me to start writing a story is to get two characters talking to each other. And if you got questions from one, you're gonna have to get answers from the other, and you can start to find out who is coming out of you when you're writing, if you know what I mean.

"So I just started doing it as an exercise, and that's probably one of the scenes that I wrote first in the movie ... working from the middle. But I wrote that years and years ago. [I] didn't really know who these people were, so I just started discovering who they were by what their answers would be."

On working with Joaquin Phoenix on his character's physicality

"Kind of early on, Joaquin let me know that actually his shoulder — I think from birth, he has kind of a messy shoulder. And he's probably spent a lot of time trying to hide it or stand up straight so that he can twist his body around. He said, 'Do you think it'd be alright if I do this?' And I said, 'Sure, great.'

"But a couple days into the film, he was feeling more comfortable and just kept sliding into this skin, that he was doing these movements that were so incredible. I just didn't want to jinx anything and say, 'What are you doing?' or 'What's going on?' You're in the middle of make-believe — you don't want to break the spell. You just want to watch him do whatever he's doing.

"I have my own theories about it, because [Phoenix's character] puts his hands on his hips — sort of stuff about his kidneys being torn up from the war. Maybe something happened. Maybe it's just easier. Maybe it's comfortable for him to reach back and hold his kidneys and help him stand. But then again, yeah, there's always that thing — the way someone holds himself is an extension of what's going [on] with them on the inside. And I buy that too, for sure."

On the war stories that inspired scenes in the film

"One of the stories in the film comes from Jason Robards, who famously fought in the war, was in the Navy. ... I worked with him on Magnolia. And he told me the story of coming back. I don't remember what boat he was on, but he was coming back, and V-J Day was announced, and they'd run out of booze. And they broke into the torpedoes and drank booze [i.e, fuel] out of there. And the way he tells it, he woke up the next morning on the mast of the ship, and an inch either way he would have fallen to his death. And that story just stuck with me as a great story ... something to get into the film.

"I think the idea with ethanol is, you put just a few drops and then squeeze as many coconuts or papaya or whatever you've taken back with you from the island; sort of 99 percent juice and maybe 1 percent ethanol. You'll get [a] pretty good buzz."

On shooting on 65mm film

"It's a different film, so it's a different feeling. It's really that simple, but ultimately ... you know a 35mm camera, they're small. I mean you can be as small as a little speaker that I'm looking at here, sort of no bigger than a laptop. Some of these cameras are teeny. And with 65mm cameras you are limited, because they're incredibly large, and they're loud, and you can't fling them around or put them on a Steadicam. You can put them on your shoulder if have a really good chiropractor or masseuse.

"So they're limiting in that way, but that was good for us. We were trying to be straightforward and simple and old-fashioned. And loud — they're very loud. You can hear bzzzzzzz."

On loving the ocean

"I remember as a kid going to Pearl Harbor, and they have that monument you can go to, and it made such an impression on me. You sort of look down into the water. You see fishes moving around, and you have to think about what happened there and all those bodies ... and all these kinds of things that have gone in that water. It's a thought that always sticks with me when I do go into the ocean when I go swimming — all that's happened and all that's beneath the surface, and things coming and going. I don't know — it gets you in a good place of thinking about things in a wider way."

http://www.npr.org/2012/...he-man-behind-the-master
Offline sami  
#260 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:13:04 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Ok, here's another article, another take . From Showbiz:
As “The Master” Nears $10 Mil Box Office, A Real Life Parallel Occurs
http://www.showbiz411.co...eal-life-parallel-occurs

Paul Thomas Anderson’s “The Master” is nearing $10 million in limited release, with just about everyone predicting acting awards for its three stars–Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams.
But no one could have predicted the real life parallel that’s just occurred in Hollywood, as Scientology raised and educated actor Johnny Lewis — on a hit cable show– this week murdered his landlady and fell to his death. Lewis killed Catherine Davis, 81, who ran a kind of home for screenwriters and actors in Hollywood not far from the massive amount of real estate owned by Scientology including their Celebrity Center.
Since the tragedy, Lewis has been revealed as something of a drug addicted either socio-or psychopath, with arrests, jail time, and a long list of inexplicable crazy-scary altercations. He’s something of a real life Freddie Quell, the nutcase played by Phoenix so deftly in “The Master.” Freddie is completely off his rocker, given to violent outbursts and uncontrollable fits. He’s also a raging alcoholic who mixes up his own concoctions to stay anesthetized.
Freddie, of course, becomes involved with Lancaster Dodd, the charismatic leader of a made up “religion” called The Cause. The Cause has been compared to Scientology, as Dodd is based at least a little on L. Ron Hubbard, the science fiction writer who invented Scientology.
Lewis’s father rose to the high ranks of Scientology, becoming an Operating Thetan 7– or someone trusted enough to be told about aliens and other Scientology mumbo jumbo. Lewis himself took Scientology courses and was featured as a “celebrity Scientologist” until this week.

“The Master” is playing in 850 theaters for the time being, and will likely stay in limited release until awards season. The Weinstein Company is following a similar path to its past “literary” releases, which usually catch fire with nominations and then take off. Scientologists are flooding internet message boards claiming the movie is a dud, boring, or a failure–far from the truth, but funny to read.

" .... or someone trusted enough to be told about aliens and other Scientology mumbo jumbo."
This makes me giggle, hehe

I just deleted on sentence from the article that contained a bit of a spoiler.