JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1213141516>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sami  
#261 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:59:09 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Well this article proves that reality often exceeds fiction !
Offline joy  
#262 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:35:51 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Quote:
No, we don't see him masturbating a lot.

Well, that's a relief. Laugh Wink
Quote:
but he does other things... and I'm not telling what BigGrin

The mind boggles. Laugh

Thanks for posting the articles, Sami.

Quote:
" .... or someone trusted enough to be told about aliens and other Scientology mumbo jumbo."
This makes me giggle, hehe

Yes, it is amusing. I wonder what one has to do to become an "Operating Thetan 7"? Blink Sad story about the Lewis fella.

The PTA article was a good read. He says the film is 65mm but other articles, etc., have said 70mm. Confused

I uploaded one of my pics. That's me, btw. Well, my hair at least. Laugh It was a very windy day and my hair, which is long, was swept up vertical and appeared reflected in the water.

La Gerbe means 'sheaf' apparently! Laugh BigGrin

Hope you manage to find another job! Good luck! BigGrin

Edited by user Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:55:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline admin  
#263 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:27:23 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
Hi Sami and Joy, nice to see you chatting like old friends! BigGrin

Going off on a tangent slightly, I don't know what made me think of this... but i wonder, in a ball park figure, how much Joaquin got paid for doing The Master?

I think it's fair to say that he doesn't see money as the reason for choosing to do one film over another, but i was just curious what type of salary he would be getting for this type of movie? I don't think anyone ever expected it to be a huge "big studio" funded blockbuster raking in many times it's costs... more of a niche film for a select audience type. And, of course, this was his "come back" film after doing his "I'm still here" project.

If i were to guess i'd say Joaquin took a "low" salary of a few hundred thousand $ (may be $400k) even though he is considered the lead role and then additional royalties based on performance of the film and how many awards it received?

I guess we may never know...? and should probably care even less. Flapper

Edited by user Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:31:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#264 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:57:35 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hello Admin. BigGrin

I have no idea how much Joaquin was paid for The Master and haven’t given his earnings any thought until now really. I would guess that there are a number of factors involved in calculating/negotiating a fee, such as the film’s budget, the ‘market value’ of the actor, how much work is involved, insurance premiums and so on. I also doubt money is Joaquin’s main reason for choosing one film over another but I would guess he has people who deal with that side of things for him.

Are individual’s tax filings available to view in the US? In any case, would a (US) tax return have information detailing earnings from specific films? I really have no idea. Again, I would guess that there is a professional database somewhere for use by people in the film industry listing the fees people earned from films or the films’ budgets are available somewhere with a breakdown of all the expenses listed.

Maybe we will never know. Personally, I’m more interested in my own finances atm than Joaquin’s.

On another note...
I was listening to ‘The Film programme’ on the radio this afternoon and one of the segments had a film critic and historian, David Thomson, talking about a book he’s written and his thoughts on the future of cinema. He mentioned ‘The Master’ and made some comments about how the film came to be made and how it has been received in the US. I should say that he didn’t like the film but his comments are not really a review: he uses the film to illustrate points he raises in his book.

Here’s the link to the programme’s page and today’s broadcast which should be available to listen to for a while. The relevant segment starts at 14.00 and ends at 21.05 if you don’t want to listen to the entire programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n1rpp

Offline admin  
#265 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:24:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Contains dialogue from scenes in the film for those of us haven't seen The Master yet Laugh

Paul Thomas Anderson interview The Master (Fresh Air) Part 1

Paul Thomas Anderson interview The Master (Fresh Air) Part 2

Paul Thomas Anderson interview The Master (Fresh Air) Part 3

Paul Thomas Anderson interview The Master (Fresh Air) Part 4

Edited by user Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:52:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#266 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:01:57 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi Joy,

I'm glad you enjoyed the articles . NPR interview to PTA was a nice read , Showbiz was a fun read. I am tempted to link to funny Scientology videos but I don't want to waste my energy. It's too disgusting:S

Yes, I noticed ! Is it 65mm or 70mm? Is it all the same ?

I am trying to figure out your picture. I don't see any hair in there! How am I supposed to look at it ?

Admin,

Regarding Joaquin's cache.. I admit I thought about it too. I have no idea but just to guess a number I would say 1M. Not too high bec it's not a blockbuster but I wouldn't think it's less than that considering the part is very demanding and considering J is an "A lister" in Hollywood.
You say J doesn't care about the money but it's all relative. I think he does care like we all do about it , he just doesn't sell out. It's not the same thing. Would you take a job if they payed you less than the normal rate for your skill level ? I surely wouldn't unless I was in a position to afford to be a philanthropist ! He seems a guy who is good at negotiating ! But I dunno , I'm just guessing ...

Joy, I'm more interested in my own finances than in Joaquin's for sure. With this salaries that actors get they don't have to worry about putting bread on the table ! Anybody who owns that much should start creating businesses and creating jobs. But me things many in Hollywood like to keep the money for themselves.
Thank you for both your interviews . I will try to give it a listen this weekend when I have more time!
tty!
Offline sami  
#267 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 4:16:32 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

I didn't mean to accuse Joaquinof anything ,I feel bad now. Why do we need to measure everything in terms of money? At the e d of the journey the things that matter are those that money can't buy. It doesn't matter how much it sells or it doesn't . Mozart was so poor when he died his wife couldn't afford a grave , yet we still listen to his music. I think Joaquin 's work is so good money is just a tag . Whatever he gets paid it is his business and I don't care. Hollywoodcan shove their money down their ass. It doesn't move me or affect me. I am not a consumer of their "products " their millions don't make the world a better place.what is the point ? It's meaningless.
Offline admin  
#268 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2012 1:11:23 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

sami wrote:
You say J doesn't care about the money but it's all relative. I think he does care like we all do about it , he just doesn't sell out.

Hi Sami,

Yes, i think you're quite right. I guess what got me thinking about film star salaries in general was the fact that Joaquin, by all most all people and professional reviewers who have seen the film, has put in a performance that has been unmatched for many many years. A so-called defining acting performance... and yet, it wouldn't surprise me to see The Master, in terms of salary, being one his lowest in recent years and one of the lowest a headline actor has received for a top 10 box office film this year. It also puts into perspective how ludicrous how much some 'actors' get paid for being in hollywood factory made films, even though the actually acting is very minimal as it's usually CGI for 75% of the movie.

I hope Joaquin gets rewarded in other ways, such as awards and accreditation. Has he got his Hollywood walk of fame star yet? BigGrin I think he would probably refuse it! Flapper
Offline joy  
#269 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2012 7:32:52 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Admin wrote:
I hope Joaquin gets rewarded in other ways, such as awards and accreditation. Has he got his Hollywood walk of fame star yet? BigGrin I think he would probably refuse it! Flapper

I don’t think he has. I think the stars are kind of like a Hollywood version of a knighthood. Sir Joaquin Phoenix. BigGrin

You’re right, Sami. The things that matter in life are those which money can’t buy.

I have no idea if 65mm and 70mm are the same thing. Surely not if 65mm is 5mm smaller than 70mm? Huh Where are the experts when you need them, huh? Laugh

You can view the pic however you want to and my hair is the dark patch at the bottom of the pic. I like to photograph water but when I took this photo a gust of wind blew my hair up and it came out as a shadow on the water. The shape of the pebbles in the darker patch seem to create a face to me, although not my actual face because I don’t look like that. The same thing happened in this photo to a lesser degree: http://i55.photobucket.c.../jquinjquin/draft234.jpg

Offline sami  
#270 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2012 10:09:56 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi Admin,

Very nice remarks, thank you. I agree with you. I see the whole process of paying actors and actresses a bit like betting money in which horse will race faster only that in this case who will sell higher in the box office. It's a business ! Since I follow Joaquin I've learned to distinguish one thing from another. He has a foot in and a foot out in my opinion. One foot in bec that's his work and one foot out bec he doesn't sell out. It must be a difficult balance !
I think he Should have a star , he's just so Good !!

Hi Joy,

I understand your pic now. It's a fountain with your hair reflection in it. Okay BigGrin thank you !

I need to catch up with other posts , I remember! Im a bit tired this week.

Edited by user Friday, October 5, 2012 10:38:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#271 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2012 4:51:09 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Joy,
I woke up renewe with energy today !
Look what I found on Wikipedia:

70 mm film
"70mm film (or 65mm film) is a wide high-resolution film gauge, with higher resolution than standard 35mm motion picture film format. As used in camera, the film is 65 mm (2.6 in) wide. For projection, the original 65mm film is printed on 70 mm (2.8 in) film. The additional 5mm are for magnetic strips holding four of the six tracks of sound. Although more recent 70 mm prints use digital sound encoding, the vast majority of 70 mm prints predate this technology. Each frame is five perforations tall, with an aspect ratio of 2.20:1. The vast majority of film theaters are unable to handle 70mm film, and so original 70mm films are shown with 35mm prints at these venues, in the regular CinemaScope/​Panavision aspect ratio of 2.35:1."

So yes, 65mm and 70mm is the same only that 65 doesn't include sound ! Nice find , eh? I love the Internet !!

So, I hope Joaquin is going to win every major Award this year because he deserves all of it and more. He deserves a star and everything that is possible to win.

Edited by user Saturday, October 6, 2012 7:53:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#272 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:18:41 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

What's missing ?

Do you also feel that there is something missing ? Do you know what is it ?

Is it Joaquin ?

He hasn't given any interview besides the written ones.

He must have very strong convictions.
Offline sami  
#273 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:12:14 PM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hey, it's all good ! With or without interviews, I'll take what I can get ! I just got over it !! This goes to all the PR analysts scanning the Internet for "approval rating stats" or whatever they call it.Flapper
Offline joy  
#274 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 8:57:49 PM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

sami wrote:
It's a business ! Since I follow Joaquin I've learned to distinguish one thing from another. He has a foot in and a foot out in my opinion. One foot in bec that's his work and one foot out bec he doesn't sell out. It must be a difficult balance !

Yes. Joaquin must surely have professional expenses too. We know he has an agent and quite possibly an accountant and lawyer: they would need to be paid, whether a fee or a percentage. Then there’s his tax bill and whatever other professional expenses he has. So, he may have earned x amount for a particular film but it’s unlikely I think, that the x amount was all his to spend on his personal stuff. Just looking at it in perspective.

sami wrote:
So yes, 65mm and 70mm is the same only that 65 doesn't include sound ! Nice find , eh? I love the Internet !!

Oh, I see now too! Thanks for doing the research. Cool Yes, the internet can be a fabulous place with all the information we could need or want at our fingertips and if I’d had half a brain at the time I could have done that myself. Still, at least this way we get to be more interactive. BigGrin The person who wrote the article must be a cinephile. Laugh

sami wrote:
So, I hope Joaquin is going to win every major Award this year because he deserves all of it and more. He deserves a star and everything that is possible to win.

I hope he gets all the recognition he deserves too!

sami wrote:
This goes to all the PR analysts scanning the Internet for "approval rating stats" or whatever they call it. Flapper

Like epidemiologists who have statistics, graphs and charts but know not how to heal.

sami wrote:
What's missing ?

Do you also feel that there is something missing ? Do you know what is it ?

Is it Joaquin ?

He hasn't given any interview besides the written ones.

He must have very strong convictions.

Did I miss something? Confused Or are you just referring to Joaquin's lack of presence promoting The Master on the chat shows and so on? Speaking of which: I wonder why he hasn't been on any of the chat shows? He just kind of slipped off the radar after TIFF, didn't he? He didn't take part in the press conference there either. When asked about Joaquin's absence, PTA said he was "too unpredicatable" and quickly changed the subject to talking about the journalist's tape recorder. Odd.

What do you think Joaquin must have strong convictions about?

Offline joy  
#275 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 1:35:26 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Quote:
sami wrote:
It's a business ! Since I follow Joaquin I've learned to distinguish one thing from another. He has a foot in and a foot out in my opinion. One foot in bec that's his work and one foot out bec he doesn't sell out. It must be a difficult balance !

joy wrote:
Yes. Joaquin must surely have professional expenses too. We know he has an agent and quite possibly an accountant and lawyer: they would need to be paid, whether a fee or a percentage. Then there’s his tax bill and whatever other professional expenses he has. So, he may have earned x amount for a particular film but it’s unlikely I think, that the x amount was all his to spend on his personal stuff. Just looking at it in perspective.

Also to add that Joaquin might not work for a while (sometimes a year or two) after finishing a film project, so whatever he earns for his last film might have to be spread out over a period of time. Maybe earning millions for The Village & Walk The Line, has given Joaquin the privilege of being able to choose roles and films now which don't come with huge wage packets but which excite him for what he can get out of the roles. He seems to live quite a modest life: maybe he has enough money now for his needs.

Considering I wasn't so interested I seem to have enough to say on this matter! Laugh

They're showing 'Step Brothers' on tv here this evening. I'd watch it if Joaquin was with me, but he's not, so I'm not. Laugh
Offline sami  
#276 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 5:24:00 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi Joy,

Just sneaking in , in between jobs. Can't quote coz I'm on cell phone.
Yes, I meant that after tiff Jp disappeared . I suddenly felt like I had nothing else to say given the fact that he's gone . He must have strong convictions meaning he must have his reasons to act this way. Sometimes I think he is too strict about it but then I'm not on his skin so .. I can't tell what I would do in his place !

I appreciate your thoughts on Joaquin's finances . I think you have a very realistic view of how he operates . You got the whole picture there's nothing to add!!
Offline sami  
#277 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 5:40:52 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Yes asking questions is nice ! I know what you mean! I miss old times too ...
You should watch a hot movie instead of Will Ferrel ! Laugh just grab a guy from the pub. I'm sure there are many who would be happy to volunteer :p
Lets accept reality: JP is not with you nor with me. we are too serious and too normal and too working class. This LA girls spend a lot of time in the way they look , time that we can't spend bec we need to pay bills in a crumbling economy . But we are more real . im not interested in fantasy. i want reality. "these girls they're on Instagram taking pics of themselves all the time. Look at me look at me look at me look at me. I am so freaking cool just because I am . Just look at me and my pics . " I don't know who pays their bills !
I just don't get it ! ( roll eyes )
Offline joy  
#278 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 5:46:04 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Hi Sami! BigGrin

What's instagram??

PS: How did your job hunting go?
Offline sami  
#279 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 6:04:31 AM(UTC)
sami

Groups:

Hi Joy,

Instagram is an app to post pics on twitter. Job hunting ok. I had several interviews and they all liked me but it didn't work out with my other pt job schedule . Now the most painful is to pretend I don't have degrees to find a job? I'm too well qualified for the type of job I'm looking.. Basically a cafe or a retail something to work in the mornings.. I just need cash ASAP to pay off student loans and some rent payment that is behind from low season . That's freelancing for you !! I wasn't reacting til someone rang the alarm for me. debt is the worse thing that can happen to you. it will kill u ! The good news is that if I pay these things then I'm free and I can make nice and fun plans. Ideally I 'd love to move to NY or if not back to Europe, not Spain. It's really bad over there right now Crying the European Union might be over soon and theUSA will fall too. Probably we haven't seen the worse yet. It's scary to think about it . UK I don't know.. pretty bad too I guess .. I think everything is about to implode .
Offline joy  
#280 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 6:21:20 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups:

Haha! I'm listening to music on the radio whilst writing on here. Not in a pub, so no men around.

sami wrote:
I appreciate your thoughts on Joaquin's finances . I think you have a very realistic view of how he operates . You got the whole picture there's nothing to add!!

Though the details are different, I don't think Joaquin's basic situation is that different to mine.

I wonder if HC has spirited Joaquin away? Maybe he got annoyed again and refused to do any more promo. Or it wasn't in his contract anyway. Where are you Joaquin??

Yes, I googled Instagram and now I know. I don't use the internet on my mobile so no good for me. Oh well, I guess I'm not cut out for posting pics of myself all over the shop anyway. Laugh I'm gorgeous, of course, but shy. Wink

There are many graduates in the UK who are having difficulty finding a job and having to down-size their qualifications. It must be really disheartening. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that more jobs will be available in the run up to Christmas and you'll get lucky!

I know.....Europe is seriously on the brink and Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Italy are teetering over the Grecian abyss. Very worrying. The UK economy? Not quite as bad I don't think but it's not good. Lots of cut-backs and so on. No, I didn't know that about your sister. Cool