JoaquinPhoenix.com - The place for Joaquin Phoenix fans
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline joy  
#301 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:50:52 AM(UTC)
joy

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I hear what you're saying, Admin. I've emailed a couple of cinemas to ask whether they plan to screen 'The Master' in 70mm or at all even: will let you know what they say (if I get any replies). So far, the advance tickets sales for the screening in London do not look good: less than half full cinema on all the dates and times. Hopefully, more seats will be sold as the days go on and on the day too. Except for the day I go though...selfishly, I don't want it to be too crowded; but if it is, it is. Maybe when the reviews come out here they will spur people into going.

Lucky you, Sami, for dreaming about Joaquin! Was it enjoyable? Do you remember what you talked about?
Offline sami  
#302 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:30:09 AM(UTC)
sami

Hi Joy,

Well, whatever happens, don't let them spoil the moment for you. The important thing is that you will get to see it in 70mm and that the cinema won't be crowded - hopefully. I look forward to your comments on the film.Smile

Today I was walking down the street when I changed my mind half way in and took a different path than I usually do. I was walking thinking about The Master and suddenly I turned my head to the left and I saw a bunch of people standing in front of a building. You know what the sign in front of the building said? : Scientology . Woot I had to sit down and reflect on it for few minutes Blink

About the dream, it was one of those super chaotic dreams. There's a lot going on and yet nothing happens. I can't remember what we were talking about. I think Joaquin and I were working in a project together. Smile

Edited by user Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:43:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#303 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:34:36 AM(UTC)
joy

I won't, Sami. I'm not mad about Leicester Square (where the Odeon cinema is) but I won't let that spoil anything.

Yes, I know those kind of dreams. It was good of Joaquin to pop in and have a chat with you. Laugh Wink I wonder if he ever dreams about his fans? Blink

People queueing to go to the Scientologists? Blimey! Maybe 'The Master' has proved to be a good recruiting tool for them. Scared I remember when I was a teenager (many moons ago) the Scientologists set up shop and started to hassle (and I mean hassle) people literally off the street to take their personality test. They used to call it Dianetics then (maybe still do. Dunno). I actually took one: part hassle, part curiosity. It was a written, multiple-choice test of about 100 questions and I answered everything randomly to see what they would say. Then I had to wait whilst someone assessed my answers before telling me what their conclusion was. They said I was a border-line basket-case and would need to spend some time in the megatron personality-restoring chamber. Laugh I'm fibbing! I can't remember what they said exactly, but they invited me to take the Dianetics course because it would be beneficial to me as a human being, or something along those lines. I told them I'd answered the questions randomly and they were not best pleased. I declined to take the course and that was the end of my involvement with them. They were a very small outfit, in the UK at least, back then, but look at them now! Just in case any Scientologists are reading....I'm still not interested in joining! ThumbDown

I took a test online once too to assess the likelihood of whether I'd been abducted by aliens or not. I answered all the questions honestly and the result was a 97% chance that I had! Scared Laugh I'm not joking...I took the test.

I just want to clarify that the alien test had nothing to do with Scientology. It was a site I came across whilst surfing the www and I was curious so took the test. I have no idea if I really have been abducted by aliens at any time but there was that one time when I was in the woods..... Laugh

Edited by user Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:54:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#304 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:31:26 PM(UTC)
sami

Joy,
I remember Leicester square. My younger brother and I visited my sis in London, we were still kids, and spent a lot of time in Leicester sq. we loved it . There was so much going on all the time . i can't imagine how it must be like nowadays ! I bet the cinema must be really nice !
It will be great :)

I like the way you phrase this : "it was nice of Joaquin to pop up in your dreams" Yes, I suppose I should thank him Laugh in the dream he had longer curly hair and he smelled really good. He had a lot of light ,.. I don't know how to say .. He kept moving on his chair and I kept moving on mine. We both were really uncomfortable. Too bad it couldn't happen between us LOL

Your experiences with Scientology are really funny. I can't believe they gave you a diagnose !! You must have been ROFL !! They're such a bunch of liars.. What they want is the money . Check YouTube videos that show their houses for "spiritual retreats" it's disgusting !

Oh, it's good to know you're not an alien , u never know who ur talking to onlineLaugh Razz
Offline joy  
#305 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 10:57:49 PM(UTC)
joy

Does your sister live in that area? Since you have fond memories, is there anything you’d like me to do for you whilst I’m there? I’ll have my camera with me so I can take pics for you if you want (though not of the film, obviously….don’t want to get myself arrested!) Or something else you'd like me to do?

I’m imagining Joaquin smelling good and lighting up the place. Nice image to have on a dull, damp, chilly Monday. Love

I watched videos for Fort Harrison and Oak Cove Scientology retreats/hotels. They certainly must have LOTS of money! The carpet in the Flag Auditorium at Fort Harrison brings the carpet in ‘The Shining’ to my mind. Laugh

Quote:
Oh, it's good to know you're not an alien , u never know who ur talking to online Laugh Razz

That’s true! I’m hoping that you and Admin are relatively normal human beings at least! Laugh Blink

I've had a reply from one of the cinemas I contacted and they say that they're showing 'The Master' but not in 70mm because there are only a couple of cinemas in the entire country that are 70mm capable and they're not one of them! Only a couple??? Surely not?!

Has PTA spoken about his decision to film in 70mm? I'm wondering why he chose that format when he must have known that the amount of cinemas able to screen the film would be limited? Confused

Edited by user Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:04:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#306 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:31:35 PM(UTC)
sami

joy wrote:
Since you have fond memories, is there anything you’d like me to do for you whilst I’m there? I’ll have my camera with me so I can take pics for you if you want (though not of the film, obviously….don’t want to get myself arrested!) Or something else you'd like me to do?

Thank you very much to offer to do this Joy. I don't know, I don't think you can do anything. Memories arge so special, I want to keep them in my mind as an idealization. I just want you to enjoy your moment there and see it all with new eyes, like you had never been there before, and tell me what you see, if something special comes up capture it, but if not then don't.

joy wrote:
I’m imagining Joaquin smelling good and lighting up the place. Nice image to have on a dull, damp, chilly Monday. Love

Joaquin is Joaquin. Nobody can compare to him.

joy wrote:
I watched videos for Fort Harrison and Oak Cove Scientology retreats/hotels. They certainly must have LOTS of money! The carpet in the Flag Auditorium at Fort Harrison brings the carpet in ‘The Shining’ to my mind. Laugh

Gee, I think I haven't watched the Shinning.. Again scary movies, can't watch them Crying

joy wrote:

That’s true! I’m hoping that you and Admin are relatively normal human beings at least! Laugh Blink

You got it right Joy, the clue is in the "relative" part of it Laugh Laugh

joy wrote:

Has PTA spoken about his decision to film in 70mm? I'm wondering why he chose that format when he must have known that the amount of cinemas able to screen the film would be limited? Confused

He obviously wasn't thinking in practical terms. He just wanted to do it his way and then fix the problems as they came. Let's face it. you will go to london to watch it in 70mm. He is making you want to see it this way. It's a win, right?

Edited by user Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:36:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#307 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:27:08 PM(UTC)
joy

sami wrote:
Thank you very much to offer to do this Joy. I don't know, I don't think you can do anything. Memories arge so special, I want to keep them in my mind as an idealization. I just want you to enjoy your moment there and see it all with new eyes, like you had never been there before, and tell me what you see, if something special comes up capture it, but if not then don't.

You're welcome. I can totally understand you wanting to preserve your memories as you remember them.

sami wrote:
Joaquin is Joaquin. Nobody can compare to him.

That is very true.

sami wrote:
Gee, I think I haven't watched the Shinning.. Again scary movies, can't watch them Crying

I don't like horror films on the whole but I watched 'The Shining' on tv a few years ago. Here's a clip showing the carpet if you're curious. It's only a short clip and nothing too scary happens (other than the music and another thing right at the end of the clip - but that's not gruesome scary, more psychological). You can just watch the first 20 seconds or so to see the carpet in 'action' or just take a look at the pattern on the film clip without activating it.

sami wrote:
You got it right Joy, the clue is in the "relative" part of it Laugh Laugh

Just call me Einstein. Wink Laugh

sami wrote:
He obviously wasn't thinking in practical terms. He just wanted to do it his way and then fix the problems as they came. Let's face it. you will go to london to watch it in 70mm. He is making you want to see it this way. It's a win, right?

It's a good way to double the money too! Watch it in 70mm and then in digital or whatever to compare. Treble if we buy the dvd! Just a bit of cynicism creeping in there - don't mind me. I'm glad I can get to London to see it in 70mm because there are probably some fans who won't be able to. Anyway, I get to indulge in some of my favourite things: train travel, London, going to the cinema and I'm sure there's another thing too.... Oh yes. Joaquin! BigGrin
Offline admin  
#308 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:37:05 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 410 post(s)
If you guys haven't seen it already... Stanley Kubrick's daughter, when she was 17 years old, shot some behind the scenes footage of The Shining while her father was making the movie (similar to a "making of documentary"). It's a great watch (it's in a few parts):
admin @ joaquinphoenix.com
Offline joy  
#309 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 4:12:27 AM(UTC)
joy

Thanks for posting, Admin. I haven't seen that before and will watch it sometime over the weekend. I love Youtube: I think it's one of the best modern-day inventions ever!
Offline sami  
#310 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:50:59 PM(UTC)
sami

Thank you so much both ! You make me want to watch this movie. Laugh
Offline sami  
#311 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:09:37 PM(UTC)
sami

joy wrote:

It's a good way to double the money too! Watch it in 70mm and then in digital or whatever to compare. Treble if we buy the dvd! Just a bit of cynicism creeping in there - don't mind me. I'm glad I can get to London to see it in 70mm because there are probably some fans who won't be able to... BigGrin

Hi Joy, I just remembered this PTA interview I was reading on cigs and red vines the other day. He addresses the question you had. This is a radio interview with transcript:

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2012/10/interview-sirius-xm.html#more

"...
MA: Very cool. Well, I don't want to take up too much time with our questions because we brought an audience here to ask questions. So we've got quite a few teed up so let's jump in with the first one from Doogal, here.

DOOGAL: Do you have any problem knowing most theatres wouldn't be able to project in 70MM?

PTA: Well, it's a drag to me but, you know, you can't… It would be like sticking with some kind of hippy dream where everything could be exactly like how you wanted it to be. We were just happy on this film where enough theatres showed it in the main cities, brought out some old 70MM projectors. Some people had them, some people brought them in special. Ultimately you want to put that out there and it's really great people can see it that way but hopefully it doesn't matter if they…eventually they're going to see it on their phone or see it on their computer or on a black and white TV somewhere. You know, in wherever. Hopefully just people are seeing it in any way they can get to it. Just being able to have that opportunity for people to see it in 70MM like we did, I'm just thrilled we had one bite at the apple for people to see it that way.

MA: You know this will get a little inside baseball for the film business but I know that, at least in Los Angeles, critics screenings were only shown in 70MM. Were you part of that decision, or part of that directive?

PTA: Yeah, well, you know, the truth was, and this kind of worked in our favour, we only had 70MM prints to start with and we had to kind of catch up but it was a good way to put your best foot forward with your film and just say this is as good as we can do. Everything else after that was not as great but still fine. It was a good way to do it...."

Offline sami  
#312 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:10:27 AM(UTC)
sami

FINALLY !!! Someone saying it like it is !!!!!!

Joaquin Phoenix can leave Hollywood-- as long as he comes back
Critic's Notebook: Joaquin Phoenix's deep performance in 'The Master' is the latest proof that he must remain an actor, even if he doesn't want to play the Hollywood game. He's that good.

http://www.latimes.com/e...-20121025,0,179400.story

Should, at some point in the coming years, Phoenix need a break from all that again, to go a little nuts, so be it. All I woulåd ask is that he come back. And keep coming back — to the screen, or the stage — where he can move us, enlighten us, unsettle us, entertain us. He has a gift. To waste it, or walk away from it, or rap about it — now that would be crazy.

Edited by user Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:23:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline joy  
#313 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:48:17 AM(UTC)
joy

That's it! Just so long as he always comes back!

Thanks for the PTA article, Sami. Peace, man. Laugh

Edited by user Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:53:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sami  
#314 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 3:00:13 PM(UTC)
sami

Yeah, I hope this puts an end to all the speculation . As a fan I get tired of bullshit too. Laugh The article is a nice read. It draws a trajectory of Joaquin's acting career ...
There are so many articles , the PTA one is a good read. It's funny bec Paul praises Joaquin and Joaquin praises Paul. They both go like: " oh no, I didn't do anything special , it was him who made it happen. I'm not amazing or anything .." They brush it off.. Well, all painters make plenty of sketches , you know? Of course, we know what you mean, it's not talent only, it's work .. We get that ! Then we should give prizes for who worked the hardest !! BigGrin
Offline admin  
#315 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:00:06 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Interview with Joaquin Phoenix in the UK's Independent:

"Rumours that the actor had given up acting have been roundly trounced by his turn in The Master. But Kaleem Aftab finds the actor in a decidedly edgy mood"

Joaquin Phoenix: I’m not very good and I need a lot of help
Offline admin  
#316 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:04:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

The Guardian UK - The Master – Review

"Joaquin Phoenix gives a laceratingly powerful performance as Freddie Quell, invalided out of the US Navy in 1945 with a nervous breakdown, exacerbated by addiction to his own moonshine. His face is incised and gaunt like that of a medieval saint, he mumbles and giggles almost unintelligibly; walking around with his fists in the small of his back, elbows akimbo, like someone recovering from a terrible injury – which of course is what he is. (To me, Phoenix's Quell looks a little like Neal Cassady, the model for Dean Moriarty in Kerouac's On the Road.) Living semi-rough and on the lam, Freddie finds himself stowing away on a grand and somewhat preposterous steamboat."

The Guardian UK - The Master – Review (5/5)
Offline joy  
#317 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 4:19:34 AM(UTC)
joy

The British reviews are in the newspapers today. Another one from the Metro:

Joaquin Phoenix: I was bored with acting - it wasn’t exciting anymore

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/f...ng-anymore#ixzz2B5ucx2oB
Offline admin  
#318 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:30:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Lots of bonus extra footage to be in the DVD Release of The Master!

"Men jumping off a boat. Freddie with a gun. Even at a healthy two hours plus, Paul Thomas Anderson‘s The Master was noticeably missing some distinctive shots from its earlier trailers. We can now confirm they’ll be on the DVD, edited together in about a 20 minute pastiche of the entire film, echoing its themes through deleted and extended takes."

Paul Thomas Anderson Screens 20 Minutes Of Deleted And Extended Scenes From ‘The Master’
Offline joy  
#319 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2012 5:18:44 AM(UTC)
joy

Thanks Admin. I'll see if I can find some more to post over the next few days. Good reception from the press here on the whole, I think. Smile
Offline admin  
#320 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2012 8:57:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

The Master - the Guardian Film Show review

A UK review from The Guardian newspaper:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv94QuenEcs